Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Auto Drip Coffee Makers

I have a Mr.Coffee...one with all the extra buttons for delayed-brew, clean ,etc. (model ISX43)
The question: does the "regular/strong" selection do anything? It appears to taste the same and take the same time to brew!? Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob_Villa" wrote in message

I have a Mr.Coffee...one with all the extra buttons for delayed-brew, clean
,etc. (model ISX43)
The question: does the "regular/strong" selection do anything? It appears
to taste the same

Consumer Reports magazine tabulates results like these from time
to time, and usually tells us which brands or models behave this
way (viz. taste the same whatever the setting.) This allows people
to choose brands that behave the way they prefer.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 7:06*am, Bob_Villa wrote:

The question: does the "regular/strong" selection do anything? It appears to taste the same and take the same time to brew!? Thanks!

Not familiar with your coffee maker, but the only way to get a
stronger brew is to use less water. That is how my Keurig operates at
least. Does it dispense the same amount of water?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob_Villa wrote:

I have a Mr.Coffee...one with all the extra buttons for delayed-brew,
clean ,etc. (model ISX43) The question: does the "regular/strong"
selection do anything? It appears to taste the same and take the same
time to brew!? Thanks!

My guess is the water sits in the basket longer with the STRONG
setting. Not sure it actually produces a stronger brew though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 4, 2013 9:37:17 AM UTC-5, badgolferman wrote:

My guess is the water sits in the basket longer with the STRONG

setting. Not sure it actually produces a stronger brew though.

Agree...and that would also depend on the type of filter (or density of it).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 9:37*am, "badgolferman"
wrote:
Bob_Villa wrote:
I have a Mr.Coffee...one with all the extra buttons for delayed-brew,
clean ,etc. (model ISX43) The question: does the "regular/strong"
selection do anything? It appears to taste the same and take the same
time to brew!? Thanks!

My guess is the water sits in the basket longer with the STRONG
setting. *Not sure it actually produces a stronger brew though.

How would you make the watersit in the basket longer???
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 20:31:53 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Apr 4, 9:37*am, "badgolferman"
wrote:
Bob_Villa wrote:
I have a Mr.Coffee...one with all the extra buttons for delayed-brew,
clean ,etc. (model ISX43) The question: does the "regular/strong"
selection do anything? It appears to taste the same and take the same
time to brew!? Thanks!

My guess is the water sits in the basket longer with the STRONG
setting. *Not sure it actually produces a stronger brew though.

How would you make the watersit in the basket longer???

You restrict the hole that drains the water as it goes over the
grounds. There is an optimum residence time for the water to extract
the coffee chemicals, as well as an optimal temperature. Too long and
too hot makes crappy coffee as does too short and too cold.

This is what my wife uses
http://www.technivorm.com/

Along with a burr grinder for truly fresh coffee.

This is how to get really good coffee
http://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 4, 2013 7:52:33 AM UTC-5, Don Phillipson wrote:

Consumer Reports magazine tabulates results like these from time

to time, and usually tells us which brands or models behave this

way (viz. taste the same whatever the setting.) This allows people

to choose brands that behave the way they prefer.

Not sure you explained anything here...?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 5:52*am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 20:31:53 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:
On Apr 4, 9:37*am, "badgolferman"
wrote:
Bob_Villa wrote:
I have a Mr.Coffee...one with all the extra buttons for delayed-brew,
clean ,etc. (model ISX43) The question: does the "regular/strong"
selection do anything? It appears to taste the same and take the same
time to brew!? Thanks!

My guess is the water sits in the basket longer with the STRONG
setting. *Not sure it actually produces a stronger brew though.

How would you make the watersit in the basket longer???

You restrict the hole that drains the water as it goes over the
grounds. *There is an optimum residence time for the water to extract
the coffee chemicals, as well as an optimal temperature. *Too long and
too hot makes crappy coffee as does too short and too cold.

This is what my wife uses http://www.technivorm.com/

That's the url for Technivorm home page, not a specific model.

Do you use a model with a glass or thermal carafe?

We just switched to a thermal carafe and like the way it doesn't cook
the coffee. I can be less precise with the automatic start time since
I know it won't be cooking for an hour if I sleep a little later or if
there's a long time span before I grab a second cup.

Along with a burr grinder for truly fresh coffee.

This is how to get really good coffeehttp://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 11:56*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Apr 5, 5:52*am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 20:31:53 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:
On Apr 4, 9:37*am, "badgolferman"
wrote:
Bob_Villa wrote:
[...]

This is how to get really good coffeehttp://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2- Hide quoted text -

I use a burr grinder and a French press.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 12:26*pm, "
wrote:
On Apr 5, 11:56*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Apr 5, 5:52*am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 20:31:53 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:
On Apr 4, 9:37*am, "badgolferman"
wrote:
Bob_Villa wrote:
[...]

I use a burr grinder and a French press.- Hide quoted text -

I use a French Press when I want to make a single cup of coffee just
for myself. That's usually a late night decaf.

While the water is boiling I spend the wait time setting up the drip
machine for the next morning's full pot.

Multitasking!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 04:06:59 -0700 (PDT), Bob_Villa
wrote:

I have a Mr.Coffee...one with all the extra buttons for delayed-brew, clean ,etc. (model ISX43)
The question: does the "regular/strong" selection do anything? It appears to taste the same and take the same time to brew!? Thanks!

I looked around the net a little. Until I got bored, which didn't
take long.
One guy with a Kitchenaid having those settings said he found the
"weak" setting channeled more water into a groove in the basket behind
the filter, bypassing the grounds. Stupid design, but that's what he
said. He said it was stupid too, and didn't use a setting that
allowed channeling.
The consensus with the Mr Coffee guys having a "normal" and "strong"
setting is that the strong setting feeds water into the basket more
slowly, and takes longer to brew a pot.
You could confirm that by running water through a cycle with both
settings, and accurately timing each.
The coffee purists say a slower feed "overextracts," causing
bitterness.
That's all I know. Never had those settings. When I want stronger
coffee, I use more grounds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 08:56:28 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

This is what my wife uses http://www.technivorm.com/

That's the url for Technivorm home page, not a specific model.

Do you use a model with a glass or thermal carafe?

We just switched to a thermal carafe and like the way it doesn't cook
the coffee. I can be less precise with the automatic start time since
I know it won't be cooking for an hour if I sleep a little later or if
there's a long time span before I grab a second cup.

Along with a burr grinder for truly fresh coffee.

This is how to get really good coffeehttp://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2

Thermal
http://www.technivorm.com/products/b...lished_silver/
Keeps it hot long enough for her use. If she wants a cup much later,
it gets nuked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 5, 2013 3:40:23 PM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:

I looked around the net a little. Until I got bored, which didn't

take long.

The consensus with the Mr Coffee guys having a "normal" and "strong"

setting is that the strong setting feeds water into the basket more

slowly, and takes longer to brew a pot.

You could confirm that by running water through a cycle with both

settings, and accurately timing each.

The coffee purists say a slower feed "over-extracts," causing

bitterness.

That's all I know. Never had those settings. When I want stronger

coffee, I use more grounds.

Thanks, I believe you have stated this very succinctly!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

First off, I like bold coffee (from my days drinking real Italian
expressos...long story) so I buy bold ground coffee from the grocery
and use a cheap coffee maker for my coffee. And like you, if I want
it stronger (not usually) I just add more. And if that's not good
enough for me, I then go to Starbucks or McD for a double expresso or
latte or both. I know the coffee purists will say this isn't how you
drink good coffee but it works for me despite them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hi,
What water are you guys using for making coffee?
We use under sink installed multi-stage filters,
RO, UV light produced water. We don't drink water out
of tap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 08:51:10 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

What water are you guys using for making coffee?
We use under sink installed multi-stage filters,
RO, UV light produced water. We don't drink water out
of tap.

Carbon filtered tap water. Good tasting, now odors. Makes for better
beverages, both hot and alcoholic if you use ice cubes or a splash of
water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What water are you guys using for making coffee?
We use under sink installed multi-stage filters,
RO, UV light produced water. We don't drink water out
of tap.

Carbon filtered tap water. Good tasting, now odors. Makes for better
beverages, both hot and alcoholic if you use ice cubes or a splash of
water.

For years I used my wife's Brita filtered water for coffee and just
this week I used tap water just for my own coffee and I couldn't taste
the difference. I used Houston tap water FWIW. I'm not saying
Houston's water is that good but rather I just couldn't taste the
difference. My wife will probably disagree with my taste buds but
that's my take on the filtered and unfiltered water we use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What water are you guys using for making coffee?
We use under sink installed multi-stage filters,
RO, UV light produced water. We don't drink water out
of tap.

Carbon filtered tap water. Good tasting, now odors. Makes for better
beverages, both hot and alcoholic if you use ice cubes or a splash of
water.

For years I used my wife's Brita filtered water for coffee and just
this week I used tap water just for my own coffee and I couldn't taste
the difference. I used Houston tap water FWIW. I'm not saying
Houston's water is that good but rather I just couldn't taste the
difference. My wife will probably disagree with my taste buds but
that's my take on the filtered and unfiltered water we use.

Hmm,
If you are a smoker, I understand. Typical multi stage filter has
sediment filter-GAC(granularized activated charcoal) filter-
carbon block filter-RO membrane-coconut polishing filter-Deionizer or
UV light. I replace filters every 6 months, RO membrane every 2 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The quality of tap water varies all over the country. It was great in
VT (Lake Champlain) but it's perfectly acceptable here. No real need
to filter it for coffee. It's filtered for ice/water by the 'fridge
but I probably wouldn't if the filter wasn't part of the 'fridge.