Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Auto Drip Coffee Makers

Doug wrote:
On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 15:40:23 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 04:06:59 -0700 (PDT), Bob_Villa
wrote:

I have a Mr.Coffee...one with all the extra buttons for delayed-brew, clean ,etc. (model ISX43)
The question: does the "regular/strong" selection do anything? It appears to taste the same and take the same time to brew!? Thanks!

I looked around the net a little. Until I got bored, which didn't
take long.
One guy with a Kitchenaid having those settings said he found the
"weak" setting channeled more water into a groove in the basket behind
the filter, bypassing the grounds. Stupid design, but that's what he
said. He said it was stupid too, and didn't use a setting that
allowed channeling.
The consensus with the Mr Coffee guys having a "normal" and "strong"
setting is that the strong setting feeds water into the basket more
slowly, and takes longer to brew a pot.
You could confirm that by running water through a cycle with both
settings, and accurately timing each.
The coffee purists say a slower feed "overextracts," causing
bitterness.
That's all I know. Never had those settings. When I want stronger
coffee, I use more grounds.

First off, I like bold coffee (from my days drinking real Italian
expressos...long story) so I buy bold ground coffee from the grocery
and use a cheap coffee maker for my coffee. And like you, if I want
it stronger (not usually) I just add more. And if that's not good
enough for me, I then go to Starbucks or McD for a double expresso or
latte or both. I know the coffee purists will say this isn't how you
drink good coffee but it works for me despite them.

Hi,
What water are you guys using for making coffee?
We use under sink installed multi-stage filters,
RO, UV light produced water. We don't drink water out
of tap.