Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

Default Poulan chainsaws

I've never owned one but I am considering purchasing one from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-PP5020A.../dp/B0052EL9YU

The price is right but I am concerned about the quality.
Reviews seem positive but I figured I check with this newsgroup for
opinions. After years of fighting with Homelite chainsaws (trying to
start )its time for a different make.

Thanks, cj
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 11:25:38 -0400, cj wrote:

I've never owned one but I am considering purchasing one from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-PP5020A.../dp/B0052EL9YU

The price is right but I am concerned about the quality.
Reviews seem positive but I figured I check with this newsgroup for
opinions. After years of fighting with Homelite chainsaws (trying to
start )its time for a different make.

Thanks, cj

Better than the Homelite, not as good as a Stihl or Husquvarna. For
occasional use it should be fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2013 11:25 AM, cj wrote:
I've never owned one but I am considering purchasing one from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-PP5020A.../dp/B0052EL9YU

The price is right but I am concerned about the quality.
Reviews seem positive but I figured I check with this newsgroup for
opinions. After years of fighting with Homelite chainsaws (trying to
start )its time for a different make.

Thanks, cj

If you're using it like a homeowner, it's probably fine. I use a similar
saw made by Husqvarna, in the same price range and it's fine for me. If
you want it for farm or professional use, get a Stihl
Posted to alt.home.repair

cj wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-PP5020A.../dp/B0052EL9YU

The price is right but I am concerned about the quality.
Reviews seem positive but I figured I check with this newsgroup for
opinions. After years of fighting with Homelite chainsaws (trying to
start )its time for a different make.

I have a similar model from Mccullough - 50cc, 20in bar, 78 link chain. Bought a
few years ago for a similar price. Just a few coments - think about the bar size
and the motor size.

20" is great if you plan to take down some serious old growth but is way
overkill for most homeowners. I bought it because I had a willow with a
substantial trunk blow over. There are a few drawbacks - you won't find a lot of
20" chain availble at the big box stores, so a quick dash after breaking one may
not be in the cards.

A 50cc engine is OK, but does get heavy after a while, especially doing side
cuts, which leads to the chain jumping the bar, which leads to the bar getting
messed up or the chain tab bent.

I don't think the perfect starting 2 cycle exists. They all do great at first
but eventually take some effort after a few seasons - even if they are drained
and cleaned. The trick I use when the engine is cold is to prime the engine, set
the choke and then pull with the throttle full open. The lever that holds the
throttle open doesn't hold it open enough.

Most consumer stuff is built in China these days, no matter what the brand.
That's not a knock on China - they build to a price point they are given, but
brand loyalty is meaningless on the low end.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"cj" wrote in message
I've never owned one but I am considering purchasing one from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-PP5020A.../dp/B0052EL9YU

The price is right but I am concerned about the quality.
Reviews seem positive but I figured I check with this newsgroup for
opinions. After years of fighting with Homelite chainsaws (trying to
start )its time for a different make.

Thanks, cj

If you are FINALLY ready to get a good chainsaw, get a Stihl, or a Husky for
a little less. All the others are junk, unless you are going to use it once
a year, and then you have the stale gas and warped gaskets.

btw, I hate the use of the words should and probably. A Stihl or Husky WILL
get the job done, and last a very long time. And not a lot more than the
cheapos.

MHO, but I cut about ten cords of wood a year. Plus various tree work,
felling, and odd jobs where a chainsaw is needed.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-PP5020A...arrying/dp/B00...

The price is right but I am concerned about the quality.
Reviews seem positive but I figured I check with this newsgroup for
opinions. After years of fighting with Homelite chainsaws (trying to
start )its time for a different make.

Thanks, cj

If you are FINALLY ready to get a good chainsaw, get a Stihl, or a Husky for
a little less. *All the others are junk, unless you are going to use it once
a year, and then you have the stale gas and warped gaskets.

btw, I hate the use of the words should and probably. *A Stihl or Husky WILL
get the job done, and last a very long time. *And not a lot more than the
cheapos.

MHO, but I cut about ten cords of wood a year. *Plus various tree work,
felling, and odd jobs where a chainsaw is needed.

Steve

I USE electric CHAIN SAWS, AS A MATTER OF FACT i HAVE 4 When the
chain gets damaged by hitting a old nail in a branch, or other problem
occurs I just swap saws and keep on cuttng

Used to use gas, but for the occasional use once or twice a year
electric is better it always starts
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/31/2013 08:25 AM, cj wrote:
I've never owned one but I am considering purchasing one from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-PP5020A.../dp/B0052EL9YU

The price is right but I am concerned about the quality.
Reviews seem positive but I figured I check with this newsgroup for
opinions. After years of fighting with Homelite chainsaws (trying to
start )its time for a different make.

I had trouble starting my Homelite as well until I cleaned the air
filter. Runs like a champ now.

Of course, I had to put my pride aside and start it the *exact* way they
said to in the instruction manual. That was probably the hardest part.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/31/2013 12:37 PM, Steve B wrote:

If you are FINALLY ready to get a good chainsaw, get a Stihl, or a Husky for
a little less. All the others are junk, unless you are going to use it once
a year, and then you have the stale gas and warped gaskets.

I use mine once or twice a year, and after use I drain the tank and run
it dry.

If you do this simple procedure after use, you can avoid having stale
gas, something that applies to any brand of saw.

Never had a problem with warped gaskets.

Jon
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2013 11:25 AM, cj wrote:
I've never owned one but I am considering purchasing one from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-PP5020A.../dp/B0052EL9YU

The price is right but I am concerned about the quality.
Reviews seem positive but I figured I check with this newsgroup for
opinions. After years of fighting with Homelite chainsaws (trying to
start )its time for a different make.

Thanks, cj

I own a Poulan, for the price not bad. But I suffer startups sometimes.
Also keeping it running. After a winter storm last year it would not
stay lit. Then during the past summer no problem. When you need it , it
should be there. But it wasn't always.

If you need it for sure, get a Stihl. If you can leave the debris for
another time, the poulan might work for you.

--
Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/31/2013 01:51 PM, Your Name wrote:

The top professional tree services use Stihl because you can't make
money when your chainsaw is broke.

Yes they do; if you are a tradesman it makes sense to buy the best tools
you can afford.

For the rest of us, lesser brands often suffice perfectly well, unless
of course the tool is needed for "compensation" purposes.

Jon --- who is very happy with his Homelite

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 2:50*pm, bob haller wrote:
On Mar 31, 3:37*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"cj" wrote in message

[...]

electric is better it always starts- Hide quoted text -

I have about 300 feet of heavy-duty extension cords that I use with my
two electrics. I also have a generator that I can move around if the
cords are not long enough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/31/2013 02:28 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I own a Poulan, for the price not bad. But I suffer startups sometimes.
Also keeping it running. After a winter storm last year it would not
stay lit. Then during the past summer no problem. When you need it , it
should be there. But it wasn't always.

Sounds like it needs to be tuned.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
On 03/31/2013 01:51 PM, Your Name wrote:

The top professional tree services use Stihl because you can't make
money when your chainsaw is broke.

Yes they do; if you are a tradesman it makes sense to buy the best tools
you can afford.\\And deduct te cost from your taxes as a business expense.

For the rest of us, lesser brands often suffice perfectly well, unless
of course the tool is needed for "compensation" purposes.

Yes, and you can deduct the cost of the saw and fuel as a business
expense on your taxes.

Jon --- who is very happy with his Homelite

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
On 03/31/2013 02:28 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I own a Poulan, for the price not bad. But I suffer startups sometimes.
Also keeping it running. After a winter storm last year it would not
stay lit. Then during the past summer no problem. When you need it , it
should be there. But it wasn't always.

Sounds like it needs to be tuned.

Jon

Just what IS the BTDC setting on a Poulan, anyway?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

What is the procedure, and what is included in a chainsaw tuneup? I've got a
Homelite that gives me trouble. Be interesting to know.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

Sounds like it needs to be tuned.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've also had Homelites, and had trouble starting. I don't think there is
any one "cure all". Avoid ethanol gasoline, if possible. I used some fuel
injector cleaner in my van, that helped a lot. I should have saved an ounce
to put in with my chainsaw, snowblower and generator fuel. I wonder if that
would help?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"cj" wrote in message
I've never owned one but I am considering purchasing one from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-PP5020A.../dp/B0052EL9YU

The price is right but I am concerned about the quality.
Reviews seem positive but I figured I check with this newsgroup for
opinions. After years of fighting with Homelite chainsaws (trying to
start )its time for a different make.

Thanks, cj

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 12:14*pm, Robert Neville wrote:
cj wrote:
[...]

All the major saw brands, Stihl, Husky, Echo, etc. build both
consumer and professional grade saws. Poulan, Homie, etc are consumer
only and very cheaply made at that.

I have 3 stihls, 2 consumer grade, 1 pro. Oldest one is some 15 years
old and still starts just like it did new, as do the other 2.

Major thing with two cycle equipment is to never put them away for any
lenght of time (say over 2 weeks) without draining the fuel and then
running them dry.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 12:37*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"cj" wrote in message

[...]

I cut a bit more than you do running 3 stihls. My neighbor asked me
to set up and teach hime how to run his new Poulan. It was all still
in the factory box, never opened. I put it together and started
it...and started it...and started it. It would run just fine as long
as you didn't squeeze the throttle. It would instantly die then.

So, set it aside and used my saw to to what he needed done. Picked up
the Poulan and found the chainbrake was now broken - a very thin,
cheap piece of plastic. Told him to take it back, get his money and
put another $20 with it and get a real saw.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, March 31, 2013 11:25:38 AM UTC-4, cj wrote:
I've never owned one but I am considering purchasing one from Amazon... http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-PP5020A.../dp/B0052EL9YU The price is right but I am concerned about the quality. Reviews seem positive but I figured I check with this newsgroup for opinions. After years of fighting with Homelite chainsaws (trying to start )its time for a different make. Thanks, cj

I bought a similar Poulan as my first chain saw about 15 years ago. It worked well and cut a lot of wood but wore out after several years. We cut five or six good sized trees for firewood each year so I think it gave very good service for the price. I replaced it with a larger Stihl which has given excellent service. I recommend buying the best tool you can afford.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
What is the procedure, and what is included in a chainsaw tuneup? I've got
Homelite that gives me trouble. Be interesting to know.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

Sounds like it needs to be tuned.

Jon

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand the answer. You can't even get
top posting right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I cut a bit more than you do running 3 stihls. My neighbor asked me
to set up and teach hime how to run his new Poulan. It was all still
in the factory box, never opened. I put it together and started
it...and started it...and started it. It would run just fine as long
as you didn't squeeze the throttle. It would instantly die then.

So, set it aside and used my saw to to what he needed done. Picked up
the Poulan and found the chainbrake was now broken - a very thin,
cheap piece of plastic. Told him to take it back, get his money and
put another $20 with it and get a real saw.

Harry K

Good advice for anyone getting a chain saw. The difference between the
cheaper ones, and a decent Husky isn't that much when you amortize it over
owning it for 25 years or so, which the Husky will last. And there is
little comparison for getting parts. You can get tune up kits at the borg
for cheapies, but not much else.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pavel314" wrote in message
On Sunday, March 31, 2013 11:25:38 AM UTC-4, cj wrote:
I've never owned one but I am considering purchasing one from Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-PP5020A.../dp/B0052EL9YU
The price is right but I am concerned about the quality. Reviews seem
positive but I figured I check with this newsgroup for opinions. After
years of fighting with Homelite chainsaws (trying to start )its time for a
different make. Thanks, cj

I bought a similar Poulan as my first chain saw about 15 years ago. It
worked well and cut a lot of wood but wore out after several years. We cut
five or six good sized trees for firewood each year so I think it gave very
good service for the price. I replaced it with a larger Stihl which has
given excellent service. I recommend buying the best tool you can afford.

* * *

And, it you buy a gently used Stihl or Husky, you can get one cheaper than a
new Crappo brand.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
#
# All the major saw brands, Stihl, Husky, Echo, etc. build both
# consumer and professional grade saws. Poulan, Homie, etc are consumer
# only and very cheaply made at that.

Poulan is owned by Huskvarna
They manufacture many different brands in North America.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/31/2013 09:25 AM, cj wrote:
I've never owned one but I am considering purchasing one from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-PP5020A.../dp/B0052EL9YU

The price is right but I am concerned about the quality.
Reviews seem positive but I figured I check with this newsgroup for opinions. After years of fighting with Homelite chainsaws (trying to start )its time for a different make.

Thanks, cj

Don't waste your money on that big box store crap, buy a Stihl.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Sunday, March 31, 2013 9:25:38 AM UTC-6, cj wrote:
I've never owned one but I am considering purchasing one from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-PP5020A.../dp/B0052EL9YU

The price is right but I am concerned about the quality.

Reviews seem positive but I figured I check with this newsgroup for

opinions. After years of fighting with Homelite chainsaws (trying to

start )its time for a different make.

Thanks, cj

For home and occasional use the Poulan will be fine. I have had one for
thirty years and it still works fine. It starts and runs fine with fresh fuel each season.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 1:02*pm, "Attila Iskander" wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

#
# All the major saw brands, Stihl, Husky, Echo, etc. *build both
# consumer and professional grade saws. *Poulan, Homie, etc are consumer
# only and very cheaply made at that.

Poulan is owned by Huskvarna
They manufacture many different brands in North America.

aYes and my answer still holds. Poulan chainsaws are consumer grade
only and poor ones at that.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 12:18*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 11:25:38 -0400, cj wrote:

Better than the Homelite, not as good as a Stihl or Husquvarna. *For
occasional use it should be fine.

Stihl, Husquvana or Echo would be my choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, that sounds useful. I do have another air filter, some where. And,
spark plugs I do have.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

Start with the air cleaner and a new plug, and always run it dry before
you put it away for more than a short amount of time. That got mine (a
Homelite) working "like new" again, and should be considered part of any
standard tune-up.

Unfortunately, "like new" has to comply with EPA regulations, and
generally results in a "too lean" condition. Fixing this required
removing the limiter caps on the carb (use the drywall screw trick) and
opening them up a little bit (maybe my saw was just a little lean, I
don't know, but it helped a lot).

I also increased the idle speed a little bit to keep it from stalling
out on me when I set it down.

Finally, I put a better chain on mine, an Oregon 91 VXL. This chain has
no kickback prevention, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't
extremely aware of what causes kickback, how to prevent it, and how to
live through it when it happens. In other words, I probably wouldn't
recommend to anyone.

I also bought an angle guide to help me keep the file at the right angle
when I sharpen the chain, because without it my angles aren't consistent.

Doing the above to my used $40 Homelite has it cutting through even
hardwood like butter.

Oh yeah, I also removed the screen from the muffler, but I honestly
didn't notice any difference from that.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/03/2013 06:04 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Thanks, that sounds useful. I do have another air filter, some where. And,
spark plugs I do have.

I didn't have to replace my air filter, as it was still in good shape,
and stood up to a thorough cleaning and drying. That was made the
biggest improvement on my saw, and judging from how dirty it was, I'm
guessing was the reason that the previous owner sold it to me.

Some people would rather re-purchase an item than perform basic
maintenance on it, which works great for me because I don't have a
problem maintaining my equipment.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2013 11:25 AM, cj wrote:
I've never owned one but I am considering purchasing one from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-PP5020A.../dp/B0052EL9YU

The price is right but I am concerned about the quality.
Reviews seem positive but I figured I check with this newsgroup for
opinions. After years of fighting with Homelite chainsaws (trying to
start )its time for a different make.

Thanks, cj

Looking through thread I see that all Poulan makes are lower quality
saws. I got their Wild Thing a few years ago and oil pump failed after
about 5 hours use. Had it repaired under warranty and it still runs but
throttle lock will not hold to start and I have to tie it down when
starting. Son bought one which also failed and would not start. Don't
know what he did with it. I cannot recommend Poulan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mine seems to be cloth with plastic frame. I've blasted them out with carb
cleaner, or ether spray. Get the sawdust and oil out. Let it dry, and put
it back to work.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

I didn't have to replace my air filter, as it was still in good shape,
and stood up to a thorough cleaning and drying. That was made the
biggest improvement on my saw, and judging from how dirty it was, I'm
guessing was the reason that the previous owner sold it to me.

Some people would rather re-purchase an item than perform basic
maintenance on it, which works great for me because I don't have a
problem maintaining my equipment.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/03/2013 12:42 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Mine seems to be cloth with plastic frame. I've blasted them out with carb
cleaner, or ether spray. Get the sawdust and oil out. Let it dry, and put
it back to work.

Yep, that sounds like it would work. I used Dawn detergent on mine and
soaked it in an agitator (AKA plastic container), rinsed it clean, then
let it dry.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 3, 12:42*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
[...]

Two easy methods.
A bit of gas in a can and swish the filter around - then blow it out
(carefull you don't blow a hole in it though).
Warm water, soap and a tootbrush.

Carb cleaner sounds a bit "harsh" for a filter.

Bottom posted to show you it CAN be done.
Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 4:56*pm, Mike wrote:
On 03/31/2013 09:25 AM, cj wrote:

I've never owned one but I am considering purchasing one from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-PP5020A...arrying/dp/B00...

The price is right but I am concerned about the quality.
Reviews seem positive but I figured I check with this newsgroup for opinions. After years of fighting with Homelite chainsaws (trying to start )its time for a different make.

Thanks, cj

Don't waste your money on that big box store crap, buy a Stihl.

Or a Husky, or an Echo, or...

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

No fair! You got sudsy bubbles! Mine didn't.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
On 04/03/2013 12:42 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Mine seems to be cloth with plastic frame. I've blasted them out with carb
cleaner, or ether spray. Get the sawdust and oil out. Let it dry, and put
it back to work.

Yep, that sounds like it would work. I used Dawn detergent on mine and
soaked it in an agitator (AKA plastic container), rinsed it clean, then
let it dry.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

The carb cleaner worked, fine, for me. Sprayed through the cloth filter
part. Really cleaned it out.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..

Cordless chainsaws newshound UK diy 16 May 30th 11 01:04 PM
Chainsaws Fastfwd Woodworking 21 March 23rd 08 11:16 PM
Poulan help Harry K Home Repair 19 February 3rd 08 01:42 PM
Chainsaws... Gordon Henderson UK diy 12 October 10th 06 09:14 AM
Who knows their chainsaws? ;-) T i m UK diy 7 April 4th 06 12:22 PM