Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Crepe myrtles and swimming pools.

Has anyone heard they shouldn't be planted near in-ground pools? I have
one that is about 4.5 feet from my pool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 18:48:24 -0600, gonjah wrote:

Has anyone heard they shouldn't be planted near in-ground pools? I have
one that is about 4.5 feet from my pool.

Haven't heard that, but it would likely depend on the variety.

Have a variety name?

I seriously doubt any harm would happen from an in ground gunite pool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 18:48:24 -0600, gonjah wrote:

Has anyone heard they shouldn't be planted near in-ground pools? I have
one that is about 4.5 feet from my pool.

I've had some about 15 years ago and as I recall they shed their
blooms so I imagine you might get a messy pool certain times of the
year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/1/2013 7:39 PM, Doug wrote:
On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 18:48:24 -0600, gonjah wrote:

Has anyone heard they shouldn't be planted near in-ground pools? I have
one that is about 4.5 feet from my pool.

I've had some about 15 years ago and as I recall they shed their
blooms so I imagine you might get a messy pool certain times of the
year.

I don't mind the mess so much. The one I have is large and growing
nicely. I'd really hate to cut it down. I'm not sure of the variety but
I know it's not a "Wax" CM.

We just had four Wax CMs planted by a company that recommended them
because they are supposed to be okay to use near pools. The guy that
sold them to me said other varieties of CMs are not recommended near
pools due to the roots.
Junior Member

Around about 3 to 4 near my in ground pool.The one I have is large and growing nicely.And i never listen about this before it harm would happen from an in ground gunite pool.

The Pool Factory | Pool Chemicals | Above Ground Pools

Last edited by AlexAlex : November 8th 13 at 10:59 AM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/1/2013 7:48 PM, gonjah wrote:
Has anyone heard they shouldn't be planted near in-ground pools? I have
one that is about 4.5 feet from my pool.

If like other trees they shouldn't be a problem until/if they exceed 9'
in diameter. Personally I would stick with bushes that close to a pool.
I used to be the default pool cleaner in a former life which robbed me
of *much* spare time.

No pool in this life!

Where life==marriage

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2013 10:56 AM, John wrote:
On 3/1/2013 7:48 PM, gonjah wrote:
Has anyone heard they shouldn't be planted near in-ground pools? I have
one that is about 4.5 feet from my pool.

If like other trees they shouldn't be a problem until/if they exceed 9'
in diameter. Personally I would stick with bushes that close to a pool.
I used to be the default pool cleaner in a former life which robbed me
of *much* spare time.

No pool in this life!

Where life==marriage

John

My pool is real easy to care for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2013 1:49 PM, gonjah wrote:
On 3/2/2013 10:56 AM, John wrote:
On 3/1/2013 7:48 PM, gonjah wrote:
Has anyone heard they shouldn't be planted near in-ground pools? I have
one that is about 4.5 feet from my pool.

If like other trees they shouldn't be a problem until/if they exceed 9'
in diameter. Personally I would stick with bushes that close to a pool.
I used to be the default pool cleaner in a former life which robbed me
of *much* spare time.

No pool in this life!

Where life==marriage

John

My pool is real easy to care for.

Glad you enjoy it! But do be careful of the roots, they bite.

John (former 'pool boy')

o_O
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2013 10:56 AM, John wrote:
On 3/1/2013 7:48 PM, gonjah wrote:
Has anyone heard they shouldn't be planted near in-ground pools? I have
one that is about 4.5 feet from my pool.

If like other trees they shouldn't be a problem until/if they exceed 9'
in diameter. Personally I would stick with bushes that close to a pool.
I used to be the default pool cleaner in a former life which robbed me
of *much* spare time.

No pool in this life!

Where life==marriage

John

My pool is real easy to care for.

Glad you enjoy it! But do be careful of the roots, they bite.

John (former 'pool boy')

o_O

I've always thought that would be a cool job. Good exerciser too.

Yeah...I hear you on the root thing but, the CM is really nice. My wife
suggested we dig a deep hole between the CM and the pool to cut any
roots but this Central Texas soil is a real mother to dig in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 07:56:10 -0600, gonjah wrote:

On 3/1/2013 7:39 PM, Doug wrote:
On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 18:48:24 -0600, gonjah wrote:

Has anyone heard they shouldn't be planted near in-ground pools? I have
one that is about 4.5 feet from my pool.

I've had some about 15 years ago and as I recall they shed their
blooms so I imagine you might get a messy pool certain times of the
year.

I don't mind the mess so much. The one I have is large and growing
nicely. I'd really hate to cut it down. I'm not sure of the variety but
I know it's not a "Wax" CM.

We just had four Wax CMs planted by a company that recommended them
because they are supposed to be okay to use near pools. The guy that
sold them to me said other varieties of CMs are not recommended near
pools due to the roots.

I can't help you on the roots but from my memory, the root system was
shallow but it did spread out a bit. I think when I sold the house,
these CMs were about 8 to 10 feet tall and I had several of them.
They're beautiful when in bloom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 13:40:47 -0600, gonjah wrote:

Yeah...I hear you on the root thing but, the CM is really nice. My wife
suggested we dig a deep hole between the CM and the pool to cut any
roots but this Central Texas soil is a real mother to dig in.

Listen to the wife. But, instead of cutting next to the tree cut roots
closer - next to the pool. Lesser damage to the tree.

Can you post a picture link of the tree at the pool for some
perspective.

A local nursery / arborist will identify the tree variety. Examine the
leaves?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2013 4:09 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 13:40:47 -0600, gonjah wrote:

Yeah...I hear you on the root thing but, the CM is really nice. My wife
suggested we dig a deep hole between the CM and the pool to cut any
roots but this Central Texas soil is a real mother to dig in.

Listen to the wife. But, instead of cutting next to the tree cut roots
closer - next to the pool. Lesser damage to the tree.

Can you post a picture link of the tree at the pool for some
perspective.

A local nursery / arborist will identify the tree variety. Examine the
leaves?

I'm inclined to agree with you and my wife.

Here's a picture but since there are no leaves, I doubt it would help
much, other than scale maybe.

http://www.safaricabs.com/IMG_0518.JPG

I'll have to wait for the leaves to take to a nursery.

I'm thinking of renting a trench digging machine but I'll admit I'm a
bit worried about pool plumbing and gas lines.

A machine something like this, but large enough to get below the pool
level of about 5 feet.

http://tinyurl.com/a24vnvo
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 10:14:38 -0600, gonjah wrote:

On 3/2/2013 4:09 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 13:40:47 -0600, gonjah wrote:

Yeah...I hear you on the root thing but, the CM is really nice. My wife
suggested we dig a deep hole between the CM and the pool to cut any
roots but this Central Texas soil is a real mother to dig in.

Listen to the wife. But, instead of cutting next to the tree cut roots
closer - next to the pool. Lesser damage to the tree.

Can you post a picture link of the tree at the pool for some
perspective.

A local nursery / arborist will identify the tree variety. Examine the
leaves?

I'm inclined to agree with you and my wife.

Here's a picture but since there are no leaves, I doubt it would help
much, other than scale maybe.

http://www.safaricabs.com/IMG_0518.JPG

I'd leave the tree alone, myself. The stone wall, distance from the
pool, the pool wall is iron and gunite ~8 inches thick?

Most of the roots are in a elevated soil area. The stone wall would
get first damage. (IMO)

Find images of CM tree roots, sizes, etc.

I'll have to wait for the leaves to take to a nursery.

I'm thinking of renting a trench digging machine but I'll admit I'm a
bit worried about pool plumbing and gas lines.

A machine something like this, but large enough to get below the pool
level of about 5 feet.

http://tinyurl.com/a24vnvo

GOOD luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 1, 2013 6:48:24 PM UTC-6, gonjah wrote:
Has anyone heard they shouldn't be planted near in-ground pools? I have one that is about 4.5 feet from my pool.

I'm wondering how y'all are liking your Crepe Myrltes near your pool about now? We have an in-ground pool, and NO trees in our backyard. However, our backyard neighbors have CM planted less than 2 feet on the other side of our back fence. Our pool is covered, did I say COVERED, with lovely little purple flowers.

I cut back the lower branches than dangle over my pool. I have considered Crepe Murder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's hilarious!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/25/2017 12:35 PM, wrote: