Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug[_16_] Doug[_16_] is offline

Default Crepe myrtles and swimming pools.

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 07:56:10 -0600, gonjah wrote:

On 3/1/2013 7:39 PM, Doug wrote:
On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 18:48:24 -0600, gonjah wrote:

Has anyone heard they shouldn't be planted near in-ground pools? I have
one that is about 4.5 feet from my pool.

I've had some about 15 years ago and as I recall they shed their
blooms so I imagine you might get a messy pool certain times of the
year.

I don't mind the mess so much. The one I have is large and growing
nicely. I'd really hate to cut it down. I'm not sure of the variety but
I know it's not a "Wax" CM.

We just had four Wax CMs planted by a company that recommended them
because they are supposed to be okay to use near pools. The guy that
sold them to me said other varieties of CMs are not recommended near
pools due to the roots.

I can't help you on the roots but from my memory, the root system was
shallow but it did spread out a bit. I think when I sold the house,
these CMs were about 8 to 10 feet tall and I had several of them.
They're beautiful when in bloom.