Senior Member

Default Buyer Beware

I found out today that the Li-ion battery for my digital camera is dying, so I phoned a photo shop that sells Sony cameras here in Winnipeg to find out what a new Sony NP-FR1 battery would cost me.

I was told it would be $70something, and was almost floored by that price. And, the guy on the phone told me I should snap it up while I had the chance because Sony had discontinued that battery.

So I phoned up a number of places that sell batteries and rebuild battery packs for tools, and the best price I could get was a generic Li-ion battery that's a replacement for the FR1 called the DSO 004 for $30.99
And, at the same time, I was told that Sony didn't make any of their own batteries, and that whichever company had been making them for Sony would undoubtedly continue to make them.

So I went online to Google Sony NP-FR1, and was able to find

BattDepot.ca - Specialize in selling aftermarket batteries and adapters for laptop / notebook computers , camcorders , digital cameras , smart phones, Apple iPods and PDA's.

that was selling the DSO 004 battery for $7.99 each.

BattDepot.ca - Specialize in selling aftermarket batteries and adapters for laptop / notebook computers , camcorders , digital cameras , smart phones, Apple iPods and PDA's.

So, I ordered three of them. I often need to take lots of pictures when a tenant moves out and leaves damages and/or their apartment uncleaned. I figure I can charge up all three batteries in the days before the tenant vacates so they're all charged up for when I need them.

I just hope I'm getting a good deal, and don't end up regretting this purchase.

Just thought I'd spread the word if someone is looking for Li-Ion batteries cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

, smart phones, Apple iPods and PDA's.' (http://www.BattDepot.ca)

(http://www.battdepot.ca/search.aspx?keywords=NP-FR1)

So, I ordered three of them. I often need to take lots of pictures when
a tenant moves out and leaves damages and/or their apartment uncleaned.
I figure I can charge up all three batteries in the days before the
tenant vacates so they're all charged up for when I need them.

I just hope I'm getting a good deal, and don't end up regretting this
purchase.

Just thought I'd spread the word if someone is looking for Li-Ion
batteries cheap.

I bought one for my older Sony camcorder. Turns out it was cheap and had
very high capacity. Worked well.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default God damn stupid subject line (was: Buyer Beware)

nestork wrote:

Jesus christ - are you kidding?

You're posting through diybanter?

Are you that lame or stupid that you don't know how to use a real usenet
client?

Not only that, you can't even form a proper Subject line - one that at
least conveys some idea of WHAT THE **** you're post is about.

My god - are people really getting so lazy and stupid?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 22:05:28 -0500, Hello wrote:

nestork wrote:

Go intercourse yourself Home Guy!

Nobody asked for your opinion. When I want you to have an opinion - I
will give it to you.

Maybe cut off your head and **** down your neck.
--
"It's the animatronics horse's head in the bed" -- Charles Krauthammer
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 00:54:07 +0000, nestork
wrote:

[...]

Pretty good price. I generally use batteries4less.com but they're
about twice that price. I probably would have bought one and then
more if that worked out but at $8, you can lose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

(
http://www.BattDepot.ca)

[...]

I bought a cheap Li-ion battery for a video camera. It died quickly. Cheap
batteries may not be equivalent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday 01 March 2013 00:54 nestork wrote in alt.home.repair:

Just thought I'd spread the word if someone is looking for Li-Ion
batteries cheap.

"Cheap" is usually a big mistake with these things. But it is possible to
get "good value". I boughtt a spare for my Canon G3 in 2003 - by Ansmann.

Perfect fit, more capacity and outlived the Canon original by several years.
And rather less money!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

nestork wrote in
:

(http://www.BattDepot.ca)

that was selling the DSO 004 battery for $7.99 each.

'BattDepot.ca - Specialize in selling aftermarket batteries and
adapters for laptop / notebook computers , camcorders , digital
cameras , smart phones, Apple iPods and PDA's.'
(http://www.battdepot.ca/search.aspx?keywords=NP-FR1)

So, I ordered three of them. I often need to take lots of pictures
when a tenant moves out and leaves damages and/or their apartment
uncleaned. I figure I can charge up all three batteries in the days
before the tenant vacates so they're all charged up for when I need
them.

I just hope I'm getting a good deal, and don't end up regretting this
purchase.

Just thought I'd spread the word if someone is looking for Li-Ion
batteries cheap.

So far I can't see a difference in behavior between the original Canon
Powershot S100 battery and this one
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IWTHYA/..._3p_M3T1_ST1_d
p_1

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2013 7:54 PM, nestork wrote:
[...]

Happened to me a few years ago with a garden set of hedge clipper and
weed wacker that cost $95 with 2 batteries. Replacement batteries were
$50 each so I threw out the set.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 1, 12:31*pm, Frank wrote:
[...]

$50 each so I threw out the set.- Hide quoted text -

Were the $50 batteries the price from the original manufacturer, or
the cheapie replacement batteries cost?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I use my camera (different brand) for the same reason. I'll
see if they carry my batteries too. Thanks again.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello View Post
nestork wrote:

Jesus christ - are you kidding?

You're posting through diybanter?

Are you that lame or stupid that you don't know how to use a real usenet
client?

Not only that, you can't even form a proper Subject line - one that at
least conveys some idea of WHAT THE **** you're post is about.

My god - are people really getting so lazy and stupid?

I am so terribly sorry.

I shall strive to do better by your assessment in future.

Last edited by nestork : March 2nd 13 at 12:53 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

"nestork" wrote in message

[...]

I've been buying camera batteries on ebay for years with great luck. I
never had a Sony camera, but HP, Canon, NIkon and Olympus. I looked at your
NP-FR1s and they go from about 3 bucks each for a pair or around 5 for a
single unit. Or you can get them for 50c each if you buy a crate. Original
Sony batteries are going for 10 dollars flat. You might consider a spare
charger too, as they go for three or four bucks.

.... Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 22:08:10 +0000, nestork
wrote:

Hello;3022882 Wrote:
nestork wrote:

Jesus christ - are you kidding?

You're posting through diybanter?

Are you that lame or stupid that you don't know how to use a real
usenet
client?

Not only that, you can't even form a proper Subject line - one that at
least conveys some idea of WHAT THE **** you're post is about.

My god - are people really getting so lazy and stupid?

I am so terribly sorry.

I shall strive to do better by your assessment in future.

Sir,

Pay no attention to Home Guy. Most here have his pattern down pat.
And, we do not treat all Canadians the way he needs to be treated.

For the record, you are the first from the web site that makes sense.

Home Guy has penis envy of Americans.
Senior Member

Thanks, Keith, but going from $70something and "you better buy it while you can cuz it's discontinued" to "$8 a pop, and they'll be around forever", I'm happy with the deal I made.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 03:25:11 +0000, nestork
wrote:

Thanks, Keith, but going from $70something and "you better buy it while
you can cuz it's discontinued" to "$8 a pop, and they'll be around
forever", I'm happy with the deal I made.

I stay away from "proprietary" batteries when I can, and look for
having AA in cameras and similar.
My wireless phones are an exception. Don't know if they come with
AA's, but since the ones I have were all gifts from work anniversaries
I had no choice anyway.
Anyway I just bought new batteries for my Uniden phone set. Saw
prices ranging from 16 bucks each to 5 bucks for 2. Reviews said the
cheap ones were fine, so I got the 2 for 5 bucks. The connector
housing is a bit smaller, but a small folded piece of paper fixed
that.
I get a kick out of the on-line reviews. One woman complained these
batteries went dead after 4 days. With the phone off the base
station.
Even batteries that were supposed to be proprietary are pretty much a
commodity now, so it pays to shop around. The internet has maybe
spurred more price competition than anything before it.

Senior Member

Well, long story short, the three DSO004 batteries I got from BattDepot simply aren't as good as the Sony NP-FR1 batteries specified for my camera.

On my Sony DSC-V3 camera, the LCD screen will give you an estimate of battery life remaining as the battery charge is used up. When the Sony NP-FR1 batteries are fully charged, the camera will tell me I have about 195 minutes of usage time available.

I charged all three of the DSO 004 batteries I got from Battery Depot on the same charger I use for the Sony NP-FR1 batteries, and all three of them only charged up to about half the power of the FR1's. When I put them in my camera, in all three cases it tells me I only have about 95 minutes of usage time available.

The Sony NP-FR1 batteries say they are 3.6 volt, 4.4 Wh (which I'm interpreting as "watt hours". The DSO 004 batteriws say they are 3.6 volt, 1220 mAh. I don't know what the impedance of the camera is, but just assuming watts = volts X amps, I have 4400 milliWh divided by 3.6 volts gives me 1222 milliamphours, so the batteries SHOULD take the same charge, but they don't. DSO 004 speak with forked tongue.

So, I'm disappointed, but not completely bummed out. Buyer Beware.

Last edited by nestork : March 8th 13 at 10:00 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote in news:nestork.b7ffbc8
@diybanter.com:

Well, long story short, the three DSO004 batteries I got from BattDepot
simply aren't as good as the Sony NP-FR1 batteries specified for my
camera.

On my Sony DSC-V3 camera, the LCD screen will give you an estimate of
battery life remaining as the battery charge is used up. When the
batteries are fully charged, it'll tell me I have about 195 minutes of
time left.

I charged all three of the DSO004 batteries I got from Battery Depot on
the same charger I use for the Sony NP-FR1 batteries, and all three of
them only charged up to about half the power of the FR1's. When I put
them in my camera, in all three cases it tells me I only have about 95
minutes of usage time available.

So, I'm disappointed, but not completely bummed out.

Calculation of remaining power might be wrong.
The new batteries might have a slightly different "full" voltage.
Lead batts for exampleld type differs from gel types, and agn
batts have yet a somewhat different voltage.
That does not mean that their charge state differs, but it might fool
testers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"nestork" wrote in message

Well, long story short, the three DSO004 batteries I got from BattDepot
simply aren't as good as the Sony NP-FR1 batteries specified for my
camera.

That's not surprising. I've found very few aftermarket batteries that will
hold as much of a charge as the originals. Additionally, I find that they
won't hold the charge for nearly as long either. Batteries I bought for my
cell phones and video cameras have been 1/8 the price of the originals for
about 1/2 the performance. In some uses, that's OK because I'll charge up
three or four batteries for a trip and they'll serve their purposes. But
the batteries I bought for my D70 Nikon will lose their charge sitting on
the shelf for a month. Ditto for some cell phone batteries although others
have been fine.

On my Sony DSC-V3 camera, the LCD screen will give you an estimate of
battery life remaining as the battery charge is used up. When the
batteries are fully charged, it'll tell me I have about 195 minutes of
time left.

The DSC series (a great camera, BTW, with superb IR capabilities) as well as
a lot of other Sony gear, uses "InfoLithium" batteries.

http://esupport.sony.com/docs/dvimag.../01/03/03.html

I've bought some aftermarket packs that won't even load because the Sony
InfoLithium battery gauge circuitry does not accept them. Others have
noticed similar problems with at least some aftermarket batteries.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...t-Battery-Only

I charged all three of the DSO004 batteries I got from Battery Depot on
the same charger I use for the Sony NP-FR1 batteries, and all three of
them only charged up to about half the power of the FR1's. When I put
them in my camera, in all three cases it tells me I only have about 95
minutes of usage time available.

Two things come to mind. One is that the cells need to be
charged/discharged and recharged a few times to reach their full capacity.
The other is to test them in real life without using the meter. The
estimate of their capacity could easily be misrepresented. Testing capacity
is a lot harder with a still camera than it is with a video camera, but it's
still doable. With my Sony Handicam I just turn on the onboard white LEDs,
the NightShot IR LEDs and then set it to record at EP. It's a good way to
measure actual battery life under load and convenient, too. The footage
counter gives you a good relative index of battery life. A fully charged
Sony battery will give me about 1.5 hours of recording time. The
aftermarkets did much better when new, but after about 20 uses they are not
holding a charge anywhere near as long as the OEM battery packs.

So, I'm disappointed, but not completely bummed out.

I should note that I've had some packs go dead and drop below useful voltage
after just a few charging cycles leading me to wonder about the battery's
chemical composition. It's a crap shoot when it comes to aftermarket
batteries.

The recent 787 battery problems should serve as a reminder of the power of
lithium cells "gone wild." I suspect that cheap lithium ion cells probably
present an even greater potential fire hazard than OEM cells for a number of
reasons. I am building a charging station out of an old surplus .50 cal
ammo box to contain any potential fire or explosion from a charger or
battery that was defective. I've seen the force involved when even lithium
coin cells explode. The packs for SLRs and other lithium powered gear
around the house have at least 20 times the electrical capacity of coin
cells and probably a similar explosive capacity. )-:

--
Bobby G.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Green View Post
The DSC series (a great camera, BTW, with superb IR capabilities) as well as
a lot of other Sony gear, uses "InfoLithium" batteries.

HDR-CX190/CX200/CX210/PJ200 | About the

Bobby G.
Thanks, Bobby.

Are you aware of any web sites that sell Sony InfoLithium batteries online for cheap? 90 minutes working time is sufficient, but I'd prefer 3 hours if possible. And, I'm concerned that these DSO 004 batteries may not last all that long.