Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith[_11_] Keith[_11_] is offline

Default Buyer Beware

"nestork" wrote in message

I found out today that the Li-ion battery for my digital camera is
dying, so I phoned a photo shop that sells Sony cameras here in Winnipeg
to find out what a new Sony NP-FR1 battery would cost me.

I was told it would be $70something, and was almost floored by that
price. And, the guy on the phone told me I should snap it up while I
had the chance because Sony had discontinued that battery.

So I phoned up a number of places that sell batteries and rebuild
battery packs for tools, and the best price I could get was a generic
Li-ion battery that's a replacement for the FR1 called the DSO 004 for
$30.99
And, at the same time, I was told that Sony didn't make any of
their own batteries, and that whichever company had been making them for
Sony would undoubtedly continue to make them.

So I went online to Google Sony NP-FR1, and was able to find

'BattDepot.ca - Specialize in selling aftermarket batteries and
adapters for laptop / notebook computers , camcorders , digital cameras
, smart phones, Apple iPods and PDA's.' (http://www.BattDepot.ca)

that was selling the DSO 004 battery for $7.99 each.

'BattDepot.ca - Specialize in selling aftermarket batteries and adapters
for laptop / notebook computers , camcorders , digital cameras , smart
phones, Apple iPods and PDA's.'
(http://www.battdepot.ca/search.aspx?keywords=NP-FR1)

So, I ordered three of them. I often need to take lots of pictures when
a tenant moves out and leaves damages and/or their apartment uncleaned.
I figure I can charge up all three batteries in the days before the
tenant vacates so they're all charged up for when I need them.

I just hope I'm getting a good deal, and don't end up regretting this
purchase.

Just thought I'd spread the word if someone is looking for Li-Ion
batteries cheap.

--
nestork

I've been buying camera batteries on ebay for years with great luck. I
never had a Sony camera, but HP, Canon, NIkon and Olympus. I looked at your
NP-FR1s and they go from about 3 bucks each for a pair or around 5 for a
single unit. Or you can get them for 50c each if you buy a crate. Original
Sony batteries are going for 10 dollars flat. You might consider a spare
charger too, as they go for three or four bucks.

.... Keith