nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Default Buyer Beware

I found out today that the Li-ion battery for my digital camera is dying, so I phoned a photo shop that sells Sony cameras here in Winnipeg to find out what a new Sony NP-FR1 battery would cost me.

I was told it would be $70something, and was almost floored by that price. And, the guy on the phone told me I should snap it up while I had the chance because Sony had discontinued that battery.

So I phoned up a number of places that sell batteries and rebuild battery packs for tools, and the best price I could get was a generic Li-ion battery that's a replacement for the FR1 called the DSO 004 for $30.99
And, at the same time, I was told that Sony didn't make any of their own batteries, and that whichever company had been making them for Sony would undoubtedly continue to make them.

So I went online to Google Sony NP-FR1, and was able to find

BattDepot.ca - Specialize in selling aftermarket batteries and adapters for laptop / notebook computers , camcorders , digital cameras , smart phones, Apple iPods and PDA's.

that was selling the DSO 004 battery for $7.99 each.

BattDepot.ca - Specialize in selling aftermarket batteries and adapters for laptop / notebook computers , camcorders , digital cameras , smart phones, Apple iPods and PDA's.

So, I ordered three of them. I often need to take lots of pictures when a tenant moves out and leaves damages and/or their apartment uncleaned. I figure I can charge up all three batteries in the days before the tenant vacates so they're all charged up for when I need them.

I just hope I'm getting a good deal, and don't end up regretting this purchase.

Just thought I'd spread the word if someone is looking for Li-Ion batteries cheap.