Posted to alt.home.repair

Default a second-hand fridge

On the People' s Court today or yesterday, someone bought a second
hadd fridge and was satisified with how it worked, at first.

He said one has to use it for a day to see if it's really working,
after it has been moved.

He's all confused, isn't he? Moving it is no problem unless it's
been laid on its side during the move, right??? (or maybe shaken op
and down like a cocktail)

And if it has been on its side, it's supposed to sit withOUT running
for a day, right, to let all the freon settle to the bottom, or
whatever, right??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 05:16:34 -0500, micky
wrote:

On the People' s Court today or yesterday, someone bought a second
hadd fridge and was satisified with how it worked, at first.

He said one has to use it for a day to see if it's really working,
after it has been moved.

He's all confused, isn't he? Moving it is no problem unless it's
been laid on its side during the move, right??? (or maybe shaken op
and down like a cocktail)

And if it has been on its side, it's supposed to sit withOUT running
for a day, right, to let all the freon settle to the bottom, or
whatever, right??

Right, then once plugged in, it can take a day for the temperature to
settle in right depending on the thermal mass (food) you add to it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On the People' s Court today or yesterday, someone bought a second
hadd fridge and was satisified with how it worked, at first.

He said one has to use it for a day to see if it's really working,
after it has been moved.

He's all confused, isn't he? * Moving it is no problem unless it's
been laid on its side during the move, right??? * (or maybe shaken op
and down like a cocktail)

And if it has been on its side, it's supposed to sit withOUT running
for a day, right, to let all the freon settle to the bottom, or
whatever, right??

Right, then once plugged in, it can take a day for the temperature to
settle in right depending on the thermal mass (food) you add to it.

I saw the episode too. Having to wait a day after you
plug it in to find out if the fridge really gets cold and works
correctly is
what I thought the plaintiff meant.

For the peanut galley, the case was a guy bought a Sub Zero fridge
that new would cost $7k for $800 on craigslist. He claimed that
the seller assured him that it worked, but the buyer never saw it
working,
never tested it, etc. Seller delivered it and it started up when
plugged
in. But it didn't get cold, or not cold enough. Buyer claims he had
2 appliance guys look at it and they told him it has a bad condenser
and is not repairable. Seller claims the buyer told him he had an
estimate for $800 to fix it.

Seller claims he got the fridge from a builder that was doing a
remodel 2 years before. He was going to use it himself in his
own kitchen, but didn't finish the remodel, even though his business
is kitchen cabinets. He had the fridge sitting around, never tried
it in 2 years, and decided to sell it.

They both had major credibility problems. The plaintiffs big gap
was that despite claiming he had 2 appliance guys tell him the
thing is not repairable, he didn't bring either guys bill, statement,
anything to court. Yet, he was also suing for $250 to cover the
cost of the two service calls..... His other huge problem was
that he had no proof whatever that they seller had guaranteed
him that it worked.

Plaintiff lost the case.

The bad condenser not repairable got me thinking. In another
thread there was discussion about the refrigerant circuit running
all the way over to the front to provide heating around the doors
to prevent condensation. I also have a vertical type freezer where
the side gets hot, as they evidently use that to get rid of the heat.
In the old days, the condenser was a coil on the whole back of
the unit. Now they are buried inside. I'm wondering if it's true
that if a condenser goes on some of these new units, it's
impossible or just way too much labor to replace the condenser?
On that Sub Zero, given the $7K cost, it would have to be
impossible for it to not be worth fixing.?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 22, 2013 8:56:23 AM UTC-5, wrote:
They both had major credibility problems.

Do they ever have credibility on those "judge" shows?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 9:01*am, wrote:
On Friday, February 22, 2013 8:56:23 AM UTC-5, wrote:
They both had major credibility problems.

Do they ever have credibility on those "judge" shows?

Yes, a lot of times they do. If for example they have
a loan agreement in writing, or a bill of sale for a car
that concurs with their version of events.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The Sub Zero units I've seen were built like commercial systems which
are very easy to service and repair. Of course it depends on the model
and age of the fridge but the ones I've seen used standard service
valves and repairable condensing units. ^_^

TDD
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_2_
The bad condenser not repairable got me thinking. In another
thread there was discussion about the refrigerant circuit running
all the way over to the front to provide heating around the doors
to prevent condensation. I also have a vertical type freezer where
the side gets hot, as they evidently use that to get rid of the heat.
In the old days, the condenser was a coil on the whole back of
the unit. Now they are buried inside. I'm wondering if it's true
that if a condenser goes on some of these new units, it's
impossible or just way too much labor to replace the condenser?
On that Sub Zero, given the $7K cost, it would have to be
impossible for it to not be worth fixing.?

Trader4:

Anything that was made by man can be repaired by man; it's just that it might not be economically feasible to repair.

If the condenser tubing goes all around both the fridge and freezer doors, it may be leaking where that tubing is inaccessible. In a case like that, it still may be possible to fix, but the repair is going to involve cutting the fridge cabinet open (perhaps in several spots) to find and gain access to the area that's leaking, and after replacing the leaking tubing, repairing the holes made in the cabinet in an aesthetically acceptible way.

Any autobody shop could repair the holes in the cabinet and repaint the fridge, but they're going to charge to do those repairs.

Either way you slice it, the buyer wouldn't end up with a commercial quality Sub-Zero fridge for $800. By the time he was finished paying for those repairs, the alternative of buying a brand new Sub-Zero with a brand new warranty for $7,000 would make more sense.

But, if this were Michael Jackson's or Whitney Houston's Sub-Zero fridge, I expect some collector would be willing to spend $7,000 to fix it so that he could use it in his own house.

Last edited by nestork : February 22nd 13 at 09:31 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 18:21:19 +0000, nestork
wrote:

Personally, if I were talking to someone about buying their old fridge
or freezer, I would tell them to plug it in on Tuesday or Wednesday with
a plastic glass of water in the freezer compartment and a pound of
butter in the fresh food compartment. Then I'd come down on Saturday or
Sunday after the fridge had been running for 2 or 3 days to check that
the water is ice and the butter is fairly hard. That's not an
unreasonable request for anyone who's buying a used fridge to ask of the
seller. And, if the fridge does work OK, the seller will be happy to
comply.

Good points. If I were selling a fridge I would do that without the
buyer having to suggest it to me. Maybe I'm an odd one ;-|
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Personally, if I were talking to someone about buying their old fridge
or freezer, I would tell them to plug it in on Tuesday or Wednesday with
a plastic glass of water in the freezer compartment and a pound of
butter in the fresh food compartment. *Then I'd come down on Saturday or
Sunday after the fridge had been running for 2 or 3 days to check that
the water is ice and the butter is fairly hard. *That's not an
unreasonable request for anyone who's buying a used fridge to ask of the
seller. *And, if the fridge does work OK, the seller will be happy to
comply.

Good points. *If I were selling a fridge I would do that without the
buyer having to suggest it to me. *Maybe I'm an odd one ;-|

That's what the judge kept saying too. The buyer was saying that it
takes 24 hours to find out if it works and the
judge asked why he didn't just do that before he bought it.
The seller claimed that in the two years since he acquired
it he never tried it out either. I think his credibility was shot
by the fact that he's in the kitchen cabinet business, yet
he claims he had this acquired fridge sitting in his torn
apart kitchen for two years, unused?

Buyer lost mainly because he had no proof that the
seller guaranteed that the fridge worked. And the fact
that buyer also claimed he had two repair guys that
he paid $250 tell him it was not repairable, yet he had
no reciept, no statement, nada to support that sure
didn't help his credibility.