Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Penny floor

http://tinyurl.com/an2wnu3

A couple glued about $600 worth of pennies to a bedroom floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 2:58*am, Dean Hoffman "
wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/an2wnu3

* *A couple glued about $600 worth of pennies to a bedroom floor.

Cheapskates.
They should have papered the walls with $100 dollar bills.

When I was a kid we used to glue a sixpence to the pavement and watch
folks trying to pick it up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 01:29:51 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

When I was a kid we used to glue a sixpence to the pavement and watch
folks trying to pick it up.

If you did that with my mother-in-law, she'd be back with hammer and
chisel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/13 3:29 AM, harry wrote:
On Feb 19, 2:58 am, Dean "
wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/an2wnu3

A couple glued about $600 worth of pennies to a bedroom floor.

Cheapskates.
They should have papered the walls with $100 dollar bills.

When I was a kid we used to glue a sixpence to the pavement and watch
folks trying to pick it up.

Now that was sneaky. (and probably good fun)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2013 3:29 AM, harry wrote:
On Feb 19, 2:58 am, Dean Hoffman "
wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/an2wnu3

A couple glued about $600 worth of pennies to a bedroom floor.

Cheapskates.
They should have papered the walls with $100 dollar bills.

When I was a kid we used to glue a sixpence to the pavement and watch
folks trying to pick it up.

Some joker in Holland glued an iPhone to a sidewalk and made videos. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Destroying currency is a crime, last I knew.

Got to be cold, on your feet, at night. and a
lot of weight on the structure. Won't happen
at my house.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message
http://tinyurl.com/an2wnu3

A couple glued about $600 worth of pennies to a bedroom floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Did that at a factory, where I used to work. Day
shift would glue a quarter to the floor, and the
night shift had to figure out how to pull it up.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
news
When I was a kid we used to glue a sixpence
to the pavement and watch
folks trying to pick it up.

If you did that with my mother-in-law, she'd be
back with hammer and chisel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2013 8:23 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Destroying currency is a crime, last I knew.

Got to be cold, on your feet, at night. and a
lot of weight on the structure. Won't happen
at my house.

There is talk of the penny going away since it costs The Treasury
Department two cents to make each one. Those pennies could become
collectors items down the road and some enterprising thief could burn
the house to get at them. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can't remember when they changed from zinc to
copper, but people have been known to melt down
the old copper pennies.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

There is talk of the penny going away since it costs The
Treasury Department two cents to make each one. Those
pennies could become collectors items down the road
and some enterprising thief could burn the house to get
at them. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 8:53*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I can't remember when they changed from zinc to
copper, but people have been known to melt down
the old copper pennies.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in ...

There is talk of the penny going away since it costs The
Treasury Department two cents to make each one. Those
pennies could become collectors items down the road
and some enterprising thief could burn the house to get
at them. O_o

TDD

Didn't Canada just say they were stopping minting new pennies???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 2:53*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I can't remember when they changed from zinc to
copper, but people have been known to melt down
the old copper pennies.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in ...

There is talk of the penny going away since it costs The
Treasury Department two cents to make each one. Those
pennies could become collectors items down the road
and some enterprising thief could burn the house to get
at them. O_o

TDD

Our "copper" coins now have a steel core. Just a thin layer of copper
on the outside. You can pick them up with a magnet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:23:09 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Destroying currency is a crime, last I knew.

Odds are someone in the Federal Govt. will get wind of this and prosecute. Just like that guy who bragged about making all his furnishings out of FedEx boxes getting sued by FedEx.

Got to be cold, on your feet, at night. and a
lot of weight on the structure. Won't happen
at my house.

$600 in pennies is 60,000 pennies.

Assuming late-model pennies, it takes 181 pennies to make a pound.

60,000 / 181 = 331.5lbs

If a fat guy walking across the floor doesn't cause it to collapse, 331.5 pounds of pennies spread out across the whole floor won't be a problem.

People put much items much heavier than 331.5 pounds on residential floors, on much smaller footprints,.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 05:38:53 -0600, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

When I was a kid we used to glue a sixpence to the pavement and watch
folks trying to pick it up.

Now that was sneaky. (and probably good fun)

One of my brothers could be mischievous at times. He used to tie a
string on an old purse and placed it along to the edge of the road.
Hide in the bushes. When folks reached down to pick up the purse he
would yank on the line. Funny to watch folks jump up into the air or
run away.

Once he put a rubber snake inside the purse with no string. A car
stopped to pick it up. About 30 yards down the road, tail lights lit
up- all four doors opened at the same time and a mass evacuation
ensued... What a hoot. (Thanks for the reminder)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 9:50*am, The Daring Dufas the-daring-du...@stinky-
finger.net wrote:
On 2/19/2013 8:23 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Destroying currency is a crime, last I knew.

Got to be cold, on your feet, at night. and a
lot of weight on the structure. Won't happen
at my house.

There is talk of the penny going away since it costs The Treasury
Department two cents to make each one. Those pennies could become
collectors items down the road and some enterprising thief could burn
the house to get at them. O_o

TDD

What would the plan be? Burn the house down, let the pennies cool and
then go back to the scene of the arson to collect them from the
charred remains of the structure?

That enterprising thief had better hope that most of the pennies are
pre-1983. Any decent house fire will probably melt the post-82 mostly
zinc pennies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 9:53*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I can't remember when they changed from zinc to
copper, but people have been known to melt down
the old copper pennies.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in ...

There is talk of the penny going away since it costs The
Treasury Department two cents to make each one. Those
pennies could become collectors items down the road
and some enterprising thief could burn the house to get
at them. O_o

TDD

"I can't remember when they changed from zinc to copper"

Maybe you don't remember because that never happened. However, in 1983
they switched from copper to zinc.

Unless of course you count that single year (1943) when pennies were
zinc-coated steel and switched back to brass (95% copper, 5% zinc) in
1944

A History of Compositon can be found he

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint...ion=fun_facts2
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 9:23*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Destroying currency is a crime, last I knew.

Got to be cold, on your feet, at night. and a
lot of weight on the structure. Won't happen
at my house.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message

...http://tinyurl.com/an2wnu3

* *A couple glued about $600 worth of pennies to a bedroom floor.

Got to be cold, on your feet, at night

Maybe they put in radiant heating.
Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
On 2/19/2013 8:23 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Destroying currency is a crime, last I knew.

Got to be cold, on your feet, at night. and a
lot of weight on the structure. Won't happen
at my house.

There is talk of the penny going away since it costs The Treasury
Department two cents to make each one. Those pennies could become
collectors items down the road and some enterprising thief could burn
the house to get at them. O_o

TDD

What would the plan be? Burn the house down, let the pennies cool and
then go back to the scene of the arson to collect them from the
charred remains of the structure?

That enterprising thief had better hope that most of the pennies are
pre-1983. Any decent house fire will probably melt the post-82 mostly
zinc pennies.

You might or not be amazed at what the critters will do to steal
anything they think might be worth something. Around here, they
will burn down a house and slink back later in an attempt to salvage
metals. I remember a house in another neighborhood that had aluminum
siding. Every time I drove by, there was more siding missing from the
house until the house was completely trashed then demolished. The metal
termites have even stolen the aluminum tubing from some of the overpass
guard rails. It looks to be 3" tubing in 20 foot long sections. O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Weight is not really a problem for $600 worth of pennies. About 330 lbs.

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Destroying currency is a crime, last I knew.

Got to be cold, on your feet, at night. and a
lot of weight on the structure. Won't happen
at my house.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message
http://tinyurl.com/an2wnu3

A couple glued about $600 worth of pennies to a bedroom floor.

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Posted to alt.home.repair

You might or not be amazed at what the critters will do to steal
anything they think might be worth something. Around here, they
will burn down a house and slink back later in an attempt to salvage
metals. I remember a house in another neighborhood that had aluminum
siding. Every time I drove by, there was more siding missing from the
house until the house was completely trashed then demolished. The metal
termites have even stolen the aluminum tubing from some of the overpass
guard rails. It looks to be 3" tubing in 20 foot long sections. O_o

They tore up the underground wiring providing power to the lights along
the running path (Pre's Trail) here a number of years ago, which ended
up costing the city better than $10,000 to have new wiring installed.

This time, however, they poured concrete over the access boxes; that was
a year and a half ago, and the wiring is still safe.

Jon