Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cottonwood

Is cottonwood a decent firewood? A friend is removing a tree, and it is
free. The tree is pretty big, as I hear. I can see it has 15.something
million btus per cord, pretty low when compared to anything. Anyone know
anything about its creosote output?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/5/2013 5:59 PM, Steve B wrote:
Is cottonwood a decent firewood? A friend is removing a tree, and it is
free....

It's worth less than that by far...cottonwood is terrible for firewood
(and just about anything else, either--while they make a good shade tree
if the cotton-fall isn't a killer--the wood is essentially worthless for
anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 5:59*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Is cottonwood a decent firewood? *A friend is removing a tree, and it is
free. *The tree is pretty big, as I hear. *I can see it has 15.something
million btus per cord, pretty low when compared to anything. *Anyone know
anything about its creosote output?

Steve

worthless, way too soft. you're going to end up having to scoop the
ashes pretty often.

termites loved it though
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in :

Is cottonwood a decent firewood? A friend is removing a tree, and it is
free. The tree is pretty big, as I hear. I can see it has 15.something
million btus per cord, pretty low when compared to anything. Anyone know
anything about its creosote output?

Cottonwood isn't good for *anything* except making paper. The moisture content is so high
that it takes forever to dry it enough to burn, and it's so lightweight when dry that the heat
content is, as you've seen, very very low.

Don't bother. It's not worth the time to split and stack it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
Is cottonwood a decent firewood? A friend is removing a tree, and it is
free. The tree is pretty big, as I hear. I can see it has 15.something
million btus per cord, pretty low when compared to anything. Anyone know
anything about its creosote output?

Steve

Hi,
If you don't have any thing else. Very soft wood and not worth the sweat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 16:59:22 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

Is cottonwood a decent firewood? A friend is removing a tree, and it is
free. The tree is pretty big, as I hear. I can see it has 15.something
million btus per cord, pretty low when compared to anything. Anyone know
anything about its creosote output?

Lousy firewood-- but good for turning in a lathe. Makes decent
heavy planks for machinery ramps and such. Some folk like it for
furniture because it takes a stain nicely.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Feb 5, 5:59*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Is cottonwood a decent firewood? *A friend is removing a tree, and it is
free. *The tree is pretty big, as I hear. *I can see it has 15.something
million btus per cord, pretty low when compared to anything. *Anyone know
anything about its creosote output?

Steve

Check it on the firewood listing:
http://www.mb-soft.com/juca/print/firewood.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 3:59*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Is cottonwood a decent firewood? *A friend is removing a tree, and it is
free. *The tree is pretty big, as I hear. *I can see it has 15.something
million btus per cord, pretty low when compared to anything. *Anyone know
anything about its creosote output?

Steve

The real story after all the people who have never used cottonwood for
firewood:

It is down near the bottom of the ratings for firewood BUT - it is
wood, it burns and thererfor puts out heat.
Fact regularly ignored: ALL wood contains approximately the same
amount of BTU pound for pound, thus the only difference as far as
heat goes is "how often you need to load the stove".

For free why turn it down?

I processed a big one year before last and gave it away. Part of the
deal. I had to take it out iin order to get 6 Black Locust. Guy I
gave it too was happy to get it.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 3:59*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Is cottonwood a decent firewood? *A friend is removing a tree, and it is
free. *The tree is pretty big, as I hear. *I can see it has 15.something
million btus per cord, pretty low when compared to anything. *Anyone know
anything about its creosote output?

Steve

I forgot about the creosote question. No worse than any other
hardwood (yes it is a hardwood). Propersly seasoned you dont' need to
be concerned. Properly seasoned = split, pile and one season will do
it.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 16:59:22 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

Is cottonwood a decent firewood? A friend is removing a tree, and it is
free. The tree is pretty big, as I hear. I can see it has 15.something
million btus per cord, pretty low when compared to anything. Anyone know
anything about its creosote output?

Steve

Looks like you got your answer, but of it's a dead tree and dry, and if
he cut it into pieces that will fit your stove, it's better than
nothing. For free, the price is right. If all you got to do is haul it
home, and need firewood, I'd take it as long as it's not to far of a
drive. I burn anything that will burn if it makes heat and it's free.
Of course if the tree was still live dont burn it this year, bcause it
has a lot of moisture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Probably better if you season it, and soak it in used crankcase oil.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Red" wrote in message
On Feb 5, 5:59 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Is cottonwood a decent firewood? A friend is removing a tree, and it is
free. The tree is pretty big, as I hear. I can see it has 15.something
million btus per cord, pretty low when compared to anything. Anyone know
anything about its creosote output?

Steve

Check it on the firewood listing:
http://www.mb-soft.com/juca/print/firewood.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Red" wrote in message

On Feb 5, 5:59 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

Is cottonwood a decent firewood? A friend is removing a tree, and it is
free. The tree is pretty big, as I hear. I can see it has 15.something
million btus per cord, pretty low when compared to anything. Anyone know
anything about its creosote output?

Steve

Check it on the firewood listing:http://www.mb-soft.com/juca/print/firewood.html

So another person who has neveer burned it, never knew anyone who had
but is willing to pass on "old wives tales".

Clue: It is _IN_ the firewood charts and that chart says nothing at
all about "don't burn it".
There are people out in the midwest that are happy to get it.

PS Quit top positing, it screws up the thread but then you, "Stormin
moron". have been told that repeatedly.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message

The real story after all the people who have never used cottonwood for
firewood:

It is down near the bottom of the ratings for firewood BUT - it is
wood, it burns and thererfor puts out heat.
Fact regularly ignored: ALL wood contains approximately the same
amount of BTU pound for pound, thus the only difference as far as
heat goes is "how often you need to load the stove".

For free why turn it down?

I have never used the cottonwood, but from the chart it seems similar to
Popular wood. That I have used in a wood stove. I used it because I needed
to cut a few trees down in the yard and needed to get rid of the wood.

Sometimes when the weather is like it is now, cold and warms up later in the
day wood like tht comes in handy. Build a fire to get the basement warm so
I can play in the shop down there, then the fire will go out in a short time
and the sun warms up enough that I do not need the fire for the rest of the
day.

For free and maybe a small ammount of work that is fine. I would not buy
any of the popular or go very far to get any.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Feb 5, 3:59 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

* * *

You contradict yourself. First post you say I'm dumb, and shouldn't do it.
Next, you say I should. Make up your mind.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

"Harry K" wrote in message

[...]

Which is the situation here. My friend just wants it hauled away. It's
free. He ends up with a clear yard, and I have some free firewood. BTW, it
makes 15.something million btu per cord, while pine and others is around 18.
White pine as low as 14.

So, it helps someone, and is free.

Mainly, I am interested in creosote content. I can live with the low
output, as it is not so cold, and approaching spring. I won't be able to
burn it until next winter, anyway, at which time I will have gone up and
harvested ten cords of aspen, which is only 16.57 btu/mil, not a great
improvement.

For free, and being five miles away, helping a fellow Christian, and being
one tree, I don't see a downside.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 16:59:22 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

Is cottonwood a decent firewood? A friend is removing a tree, and it is
free. The tree is pretty big, as I hear. I can see it has 15.something
million btus per cord, pretty low when compared to anything. Anyone know
anything about its creosote output?

Steve

Looks like you got your answer, but of it's a dead tree and dry, and if
he cut it into pieces that will fit your stove, it's better than
nothing. For free, the price is right. If all you got to do is haul it
home, and need firewood, I'd take it as long as it's not to far of a
drive. I burn anything that will burn if it makes heat and it's free.
Of course if the tree was still live dont burn it this year, bcause it
has a lot of moisture.

This ain't my first rodeo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
Mainly, I am interested in creosote content.

Creosote forms from condensation of the unburned gases emitted by the heated
wood.

The formation is a function of several things, one of the more important
being wet wood; the steam cools the flue encouraging condensation. If your
wood is dry I wouldn't worry about it anymore than any other wood.

http://www.mastersweep.com/CREO.HTM
http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index..._and_solutions

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 6:59:22 PM UTC-5, Steve B wrote:
Is cottonwood a decent firewood? A friend is removing a tree, and it is
free. The tree is pretty big, as I hear. I can see it has 15.something
million btus per cord, pretty low when compared to anything. Anyone know
anything about its creosote output?

It's worthless, but that doesn't stop the tree-huggers from getting all bent out of shape when one is cut down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 10:03*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

On Feb 5, 3:59 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

??? I think you have some attributes confused. I never called you
dumb, in fact I basicallyi called everybody who had answered you up to
my first post dumb.

Your attitude about it 'it is free, why not use it, win win for both
friend and you'
is corect.

As a matter of fact, the post you quote above _was_ my first post.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cottonwood/redux

"Steve B" wrote

It's free. It's about five miles from my house. It's a healthy tree.

I think my mind is made up.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nothing wrong with top posting. If you are a twit who jumps into a
thread in the middle and thinks everyone should cater to your needs
then you might not like it.

"Red" wrote in message

On Feb 5, 5:59 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

Is cottonwood a decent firewood? A friend is removing a tree, and it is
free. The tree is pretty big, as I hear. I can see it has 15.something
million btus per cord, pretty low when compared to anything. Anyone know
anything about its creosote output?

Steve

Check it on the firewood listing:http://www.mb-soft.com/juca/print/firewood.html

So another person who has neveer burned it, never knew anyone who had
but is willing to pass on "old wives tales".

Clue: It is _IN_ the firewood charts and that chart says nothing at
all about "don't burn it".
There are people out in the midwest that are happy to get it.

PS Quit top positing, it screws up the thread but then you, "Stormin
moron". have been told that repeatedly.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 7:57*pm, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Nothing wrong with top posting. *If you are a twit who jumps into a
thread in the middle and thinks everyone should cater to your needs
then you might not like it.

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 07:53:15 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

See the bottom for my reply. That is where educated and socially
responsible people place their replies.

"Red" wrote in message

On Feb 5, 5:59 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

Is cottonwood a decent firewood? A friend is removing a tree, and it is
free. The tree is pretty big, as I hear. I can see it has 15.something
million btus per cord, pretty low when compared to anything. Anyone know
anything about its creosote output?

Steve

Check it on the firewood listing:http://www.mb-soft.com/juca/print/firewood.html

So another person who has neveer burned it, never knew anyone who had
but is willing to pass on "old wives tales".

Clue: *It is _IN_ the firewood charts and that chart says nothing at
all about "don't burn it".
There are people out in the midwest that are happy to get it.

PS Quit top positing, it screws up the thread but then you, "Stormin
moron". have been told that repeatedly.

Harry K

??? You don't find top posting to be an excellent way to screw up a
thread? Odd.

??? So noone should ever reply to a post after the first two? Even
odder.

PS: Quit top posting, it screws up the thread. See this one for a
good example.
Harry K