Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Cottonwood

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

"Harry K" wrote in message

The real story after all the people who have never used cottonwood for
firewood:

It is down near the bottom of the ratings for firewood BUT - it is
wood, it burns and thererfor puts out heat.
Fact regularly ignored: ALL wood contains approximately the same
amount of BTU pound for pound, thus the only difference as far as
heat goes is "how often you need to load the stove".

For free why turn it down?

I have never used the cottonwood, but from the chart it seems similar to
Popular wood. That I have used in a wood stove. I used it because I
needed to cut a few trees down in the yard and needed to get rid of the
wood.

Sometimes when the weather is like it is now, cold and warms up later in
the day wood like tht comes in handy. Build a fire to get the basement
warm so I can play in the shop down there, then the fire will go out in a
short time and the sun warms up enough that I do not need the fire for the
rest of the day.

For free and maybe a small ammount of work that is fine. I would not buy
any of the popular or go very far to get any.

Which is the situation here. My friend just wants it hauled away. It's
free. He ends up with a clear yard, and I have some free firewood. BTW, it
makes 15.something million btu per cord, while pine and others is around 18.
White pine as low as 14.

So, it helps someone, and is free.

Mainly, I am interested in creosote content. I can live with the low
output, as it is not so cold, and approaching spring. I won't be able to
burn it until next winter, anyway, at which time I will have gone up and
harvested ten cords of aspen, which is only 16.57 btu/mil, not a great
improvement.

For free, and being five miles away, helping a fellow Christian, and being
one tree, I don't see a downside.

Steve