Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default Cottonwood

"Steve B" wrote in :

Is cottonwood a decent firewood? A friend is removing a tree, and it is
free. The tree is pretty big, as I hear. I can see it has 15.something
million btus per cord, pretty low when compared to anything. Anyone know
anything about its creosote output?

Cottonwood isn't good for *anything* except making paper. The moisture content is so high
that it takes forever to dry it enough to burn, and it's so lightweight when dry that the heat
content is, as you've seen, very very low.

Don't bother. It's not worth the time to split and stack it.