Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Radon mitigation discharge pipe

Our radon outlet pipe ends in a down-facing elbow, above the 2nd story
roof. When I installed it, I put a screen over the outlet, thinking to
prevent bugs and birds from nesting. In recent bad weather, the screen
got plugged with snow, stopping the discharge. I pulled the screen off.
Now, I'm wondering whether a screen is necessary. The airflow is fairly
strong, and cool in the summer, which I think would discourage bugs.
Birds, ... who knows?

If anyone has experience in these matters, I'd appreciate hearing.

Thanks,
George
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 06:58:04 -0500, George
wrote:

Our radon outlet pipe ends in a down-facing elbow, above the 2nd story
roof. When I installed it, I put a screen over the outlet, thinking to
prevent bugs and birds from nesting. In recent bad weather, the screen
got plugged with snow, stopping the discharge. I pulled the screen off.
Now, I'm wondering whether a screen is necessary. The airflow is fairly
strong, and cool in the summer, which I think would discourage bugs.
Birds, ... who knows?

If anyone has experience in these matters, I'd appreciate hearing.

No experience with radon mitigation pipes-- but I know Mr. Murphy and
his law all too well.g

Sure as heck, as soon as that screen comes off, the fan dies and
critters start lining up to get into your basement.

I would use 1/4" hardware cloth as a fair compromise between critters
I could handle in the basement and allowing a free flow of air.

I just had a thought-- how did snow block it? Presumably there is a
fan blowing air that is likely at *least* 25 degrees above freezing.
Am I mistaken in thinking that those radon fans blow continuously?
If your basement is colder than that- you might want to address *that*
problem.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
Our radon outlet pipe ends in a down-facing elbow, above the 2nd story
roof. When I installed it, I put a screen over the outlet, thinking to
prevent bugs and birds from nesting. In recent bad weather, the screen
got plugged with snow, stopping the discharge. I pulled the screen off.
Now, I'm wondering whether a screen is necessary. The airflow is fairly
strong, and cool in the summer, which I think would discourage bugs.
Birds, ... who knows?

If anyone has experience in these matters, I'd appreciate hearing.

Thanks,
George

I left the screen off of a dryer vent one time and a few weeks later the
flapper that should have closed to keep the air from backflowing into the
dryer didn't close. I stuck my hand up and into the vent to see what was
blocking the flapper and promptly got stung for my trouble. Wasps had moved
in and weren't happy with the invasion. Lesson learned.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 06:58:04 -0500, George
wrote in Re Radon
mitigation discharge pipe:

Our radon outlet pipe ends in a down-facing elbow, above the 2nd story
roof. When I installed it, I put a screen over the outlet, thinking to
prevent bugs and birds from nesting. In recent bad weather, the screen
got plugged with snow, stopping the discharge. I pulled the screen off.
Now, I'm wondering whether a screen is necessary. The airflow is fairly
strong, and cool in the summer, which I think would discourage bugs.
Birds, ... who knows?

If anyone has experience in these matters, I'd appreciate hearing.

Thanks,
George

How about installing the screen a couple of inches up into the elbow?
That should protect it from snow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 7:49*am, "Tomsic" wrote:
"George" wrote in message

[...]

I don't know about the radon vent, but I found it very
curious that the install manual for my Rheem condensing
furnace says that you can't put ANYTHING over the
2" vent pipes that extend outside. Apparently the concern
is the effect George described, ie snow/ice freezing up
over any screening. The obvious downside is that there
is a free and open route into either the exhaust or intake.
The latter would allow a rodent into the unit compartment
with the wiring, gas valve, etc. It would seem to me the
risk of something bad happening, including blocking the
vents without some kind of screen, is at least as great as the snow
problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
-snip-

I don't know about the radon vent, but I found it very
curious that the install manual for my Rheem condensing
furnace says that you can't put ANYTHING over the
2" vent pipes that extend outside. Apparently the concern
is the effect George described, ie snow/ice freezing up
over any screening. The obvious downside is that there
is a free and open route into either the exhaust or intake.
The latter would allow a rodent into the unit compartment
with the wiring, gas valve, etc. It would seem to me the
risk of something bad happening, including blocking the
vents without some kind of screen, is at least as great as the snow
problem.

With the furnace it makes sense, as that is an intermittent airflow
[and very moist airflow, to boot] . But am I behind the times
thinking a radon vent runs 24/7?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Years ago, I got a call to a house with no heat.
The problem turned out to be that mice had
come in the exhaust vent tube. They got into
the furnace compartment, unable to escape.
They turned thier attention to chewing wires,
and that stopped the furnace from running.
The dead mouse smell was overpowering.
Really awful.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

I found it very
curious that the install manual for my Rheem condensing
furnace says that you can't put ANYTHING over the
2" vent pipes that extend outside. Apparently the concern
is the effect George described, ie snow/ice freezing up
over any screening. The obvious downside is that there
is a free and open route into either the exhaust or intake.
The latter would allow a rodent into the unit compartment
with the wiring, gas valve, etc. It would seem to me the
risk of something bad happening, including blocking the
vents without some kind of screen, is at least as great
as the snow problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

They don't take air from your basement, rather from under the slab. If
a critter were to crawl down one, they wouldn't end up in the basement
(see: sentence #1). There isn't a lot of air coming out of these
(see: sentence #1).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

(see: sentence #1).- Hide quoted text -

But there is always some leakage from the basement into the radon
exhaust system, and that means there is some place some small size
critters could get into the house proper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 06:58:04 -0500, George wrote:

Our radon outlet pipe ends in a down-facing elbow, above the 2nd story
roof. When I installed it, I put a screen over the outlet, thinking to
prevent bugs and birds from nesting. In recent bad weather, the screen
got plugged with snow, stopping the discharge. I pulled the screen off.
Now, I'm wondering whether a screen is necessary. The airflow is fairly
strong, and cool in the summer, which I think would discourage bugs.
Birds, ... who knows?

If anyone has experience in these matters, I'd appreciate hearing.

Thanks,
George

Just a thought.
Add a reducer (expander) to expand the end of pipe to 4", put screen
over that. Glue the pvc part on to pipe, or just add a sheet metal
screw or two. Use a coarse screen. That way you got more surface area.
I'm guessing you now have a 1.5 inch pvc pipe. I dont know anything
about radon piping.
1/4" hardware cloth will keep birds out, but not bugs. Better than
nothing I guess..... A 1/8" screen would be ideal, if they make such a
thing.

The expanded pipe should shed snow better too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

There shouldn't be any such leakage. Nope, not if it's installed by
anyone with more than a single-digit IQ. The pipe should be
completely sealed from above the roof to below the slab. The system
won't work if there are leaks. The whole idea is to pull a partial
vacuum under the slab.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 09:20:48 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

" wrote:
-snip-

I don't know about the radon vent, but I found it very
curious that the install manual for my Rheem condensing
furnace says that you can't put ANYTHING over the
2" vent pipes that extend outside. Apparently the concern
is the effect George described, ie snow/ice freezing up
over any screening. The obvious downside is that there
is a free and open route into either the exhaust or intake.
The latter would allow a rodent into the unit compartment
with the wiring, gas valve, etc. It would seem to me the
risk of something bad happening, including blocking the
vents without some kind of screen, is at least as great as the snow
problem.

With the furnace it makes sense, as that is an intermittent airflow
[and very moist airflow, to boot] . But am I behind the times
thinking a radon vent runs 24/7?

You're right but there isn't much air flow. The idea is to pull a
vacuum under the slab so any radon under the slab will be pulled out.
I'm not sure there would ever be enough moisture to cause a problem,
though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

vacuum under the slab.- Hide quoted text -

If the OP has a fairly strong air flow as stated, I would bet my
pension there are some leaks somewhere. Radon just doesn't come out
of the ground that readily. The vacuum sucks air into the system
from all the cracks around the basement floor and walls, bringing any
radon oozing thru the dirt along with it. If there were no leaks in
the foundation anywhere, there would be no way for the radon to get
into the basement, it would just flow around the foundation and work
its way into the atmosphere all around the sides of the basement, and
the OP wouldn't need an abatement system.
Posted to alt.home.repair

CRNG wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 06:58:04 -0500, George
wrote in Re Radon
mitigation discharge pipe:

Our radon outlet pipe ends in a down-facing elbow, above the 2nd story
roof. When I installed it, I put a screen over the outlet, thinking to
prevent bugs and birds from nesting. In recent bad weather, the screen
got plugged with snow, stopping the discharge. I pulled the screen off.
Now, I'm wondering whether a screen is necessary. The airflow is fairly
strong, and cool in the summer, which I think would discourage bugs.
Birds, ... who knows?

If anyone has experience in these matters, I'd appreciate hearing.

Thanks,
George

How about installing the screen a couple of inches up into the elbow?
That should protect it from snow.

I always loose OP. I don't understand how it could plug. Warmer air. I was
going to screen mine since my radon level is low in summer and fan turned
off. Of course, my pipe goes up inside the house as I installed it. Don't
know how OP is placed. I only used 1.5 inch pipe, works fine.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 06:58:04 -0500, George wrote:

Our radon outlet pipe ends in a down-facing elbow, above the 2nd story
roof. When I installed it, I put a screen over the outlet, thinking to
prevent bugs and birds from nesting. In recent bad weather, the screen
got plugged with snow, stopping the discharge. I pulled the screen off.
Now, I'm wondering whether a screen is necessary. The airflow is fairly
strong, and cool in the summer, which I think would discourage bugs.
Birds, ... who knows?

If anyone has experience in these matters, I'd appreciate hearing.

Aggregated reply:

- The screen was window screen, so quite fine pitch. And, the pipe is
3".

- After more thought, it might not have been snow plugging it. It's
been cold (for here), down to 0F at night. It might be that the moist
air from the sump just froze on the screen.

- IMO, it's impossible that anything could get into the basement. But,
if a (stupid) bird got over the elbow, and then fell down the riser to
the fan, ... yuck.

- I could put coarser screen over it, to keep birds out. But, I'm
concerned that might just make it more appealing to (say) yellow
jackets. double yuck.

Alas,
George

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Strong flow might mean anything. Radon leaks through cement, even if there
are no visible cracks. The amount of airflow is also dependent on how much
free area there is around intake. A large pit of large rocks can pull a
bunch of air. If soil is water saturated, flow will decrease.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Irrelevant. The statement "there is always some leakage from the
basement to the radon exhaust system" is false. There had better not
be, or the system won't work.

Radon just doesn't come out of the ground that readily.

Define "that readily".

The vacuum sucks air into the system
from all the cracks around the basement floor and walls, bringing any
radon oozing thru the dirt along with it. If there were no leaks in
the foundation anywhere, there would be no way for the radon to get
into the basement, it would just flow around the foundation and work
its way into the atmosphere all around the sides of the basement, and
the OP wouldn't need an abatement system.

Wrong. Concrete doesn't form a hermetic seal. That's the whole
problem. The solution is to get rid of it *before* it can percolate
through the concrete. Give it a lower resistance path the the outside
air, than through the house.

Again, there should be NO WAY for an animal to get down the pipe,
thought the pump, into the basement. The thing would have to be
broken off.

Have you ever actually seen these things?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 21:36:29 -0500, George wrote:

[...]

I tend to agree it was frozen moisture. Snow could not get on the
underside too easily. 1/4" hardware cloth is all I can suggest. In
summer, add fine screen, and take it off in winter....

Posted to alt.home.repair

You realize that require climbing to the roof
twice a year?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

- I could put coarser screen over it, to keep birds out. But, I'm
concerned that might just make it more appealing to (say) yellow
jackets. double yuck.

Alas,
George

I tend to agree it was frozen moisture. Snow could not get on the
underside too easily. 1/4" hardware cloth is all I can suggest. In
summer, add fine screen, and take it off in winter....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 17:26:35 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

You realize that require climbing to the roof
twice a year?

The rain gutters need to be cleaned anyhow.....

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Jesus is Lard!
Jesus Shaves

radon mitigation system diadkinson Home Repair 14 November 14th 14 09:41 PM
Radon mitigation Jack Home Repair 15 October 1st 09 03:11 AM
Water heater flue and radon mitigation pipe in close proximity - fire hazard?? [email protected] Home Repair 3 May 1st 07 03:25 AM
Radon mitigation 46erjoe Home Repair 7 January 27th 06 06:42 PM
Air exhanger vs radon mitigation jack Home Repair 1 October 24th 04 09:12 PM