Posted to alt.home.repair
CRNG CRNG is offline

Default Radon mitigation discharge pipe

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 06:58:04 -0500, George
wrote in Re Radon
mitigation discharge pipe:

Our radon outlet pipe ends in a down-facing elbow, above the 2nd story
roof. When I installed it, I put a screen over the outlet, thinking to
prevent bugs and birds from nesting. In recent bad weather, the screen
got plugged with snow, stopping the discharge. I pulled the screen off.
Now, I'm wondering whether a screen is necessary. The airflow is fairly
strong, and cool in the summer, which I think would discourage bugs.
Birds, ... who knows?

If anyone has experience in these matters, I'd appreciate hearing.

Thanks,
George

How about installing the screen a couple of inches up into the elbow?
That should protect it from snow.