Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water heater flue and radon mitigation pipe in close proximity - fire hazard??

I had a radon mitigation system installed in my house prior to
purchase. The other day, while doing some sealing in the attic, I
noticed that they have the radon PVC pipe running right next to the
water heater flue to get from the basement to the attic. You can see
a couple pictures he

http://www.msu.edu/~galedav1/pic1.jpg
http://www.msu.edu/~galedav1/pic2.jpg

Is it OK to have the radon pipe running next to the water heater
flue? I checked with the city, but they claim the code only says to
"install per manufacturer's instructions." Elsewhere I have heard
there should be 2" of clearance between the flue and anything
flammable. Is the PVC pipe considered flammable?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.msu.edu/~galedav1/pic1.jp...edav1/pic2.jpg

Is it OK to have the radon pipe running next to the water heater
flue? I checked with the city, but they claim the code only says to
"install per manufacturer's instructions." Elsewhere I have heard
there should be 2" of clearance between the flue and anything
flammable. Is the PVC pipe considered flammable?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

That looks OK to me. I don't know the codes but the flue on a modern
heater doesn't get hot enough to damage the PVC. Look at it this way,
if it were going to cause a problem it already would have. Use a
flashlight and take a close look to see if the pipe has been melted.
I'm guessing not but worth a look.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Is it OK to have the radon pipe running next to the water heater
flue? I checked with the city, but they claim the code only says to
"install per manufacturer's instructions." Elsewhere I have heard
there should be 2" of clearance between the flue and anything
flammable. Is the PVC pipe considered flammable?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

PVC for use in building must have some fire retarding properties. That does
not mean it cannot burn with another source of igniton. I doubt it is
going to burn the house down, but get some clearance between them. Contact
can eventually meld the PVC if it gets hot enough. Just a wedge to get an
inch or so should do the trick.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:
I had a radon mitigation system installed in my house prior to
purchase. The other day, while doing some sealing in the attic, I
noticed that they have the radon PVC pipe running right next to the
water heater flue to get from the basement to the attic. You can see
a couple pictures he

http://www.msu.edu/~galedav1/pic1.jpg
http://www.msu.edu/~galedav1/pic2.jpg

Is it OK to have the radon pipe running next to the water heater
flue? I checked with the city, but they claim the code only says to
"install per manufacturer's instructions." Elsewhere I have heard
there should be 2" of clearance between the flue and anything
flammable. Is the PVC pipe considered flammable?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

From the photos, there have been some water laks in that area. If

they're not old ones, best keep watch on the situation.

Joe

Radon Mitigation System - Fan in Basement? [email protected] Home Repair 6 November 2nd 06 10:18 PM
Tee fitting within close proximity to outlet from combi boiler Matt UK diy 6 July 30th 06 10:35 PM
Radon mitigation 46erjoe Home Repair 7 January 27th 06 06:42 PM
Water Heater Flue Baffle Alex Home Repair 2 November 15th 05 04:00 AM
Air exhanger vs radon mitigation jack Home Repair 1 October 24th 04 09:12 PM