Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Water heater flue and radon mitigation pipe in close proximity - fire hazard??

wrote:
I had a radon mitigation system installed in my house prior to
purchase. The other day, while doing some sealing in the attic, I
noticed that they have the radon PVC pipe running right next to the
water heater flue to get from the basement to the attic. You can see
a couple pictures he

http://www.msu.edu/~galedav1/pic1.jpg
http://www.msu.edu/~galedav1/pic2.jpg

Is it OK to have the radon pipe running next to the water heater
flue? I checked with the city, but they claim the code only says to
"install per manufacturer's instructions." Elsewhere I have heard
there should be 2" of clearance between the flue and anything
flammable. Is the PVC pipe considered flammable?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

From the photos, there have been some water laks in that area. If

they're not old ones, best keep watch on the situation.

Joe