Posted to alt.home.repair

Default House Paint lifetime warrantee

The other thread got me to thinking. I found out about a year ago
that my hired painter used a lifetime warrantee paint from Benjamin
Moore on the outside of my house. I once went to the local Benjamin
Paint store and asked what exactly how it works for this paint if it
doesn't last. He couldn't really explain . Anyone here know or
maybe I need to re-ask them or another store. If it matters I forgot
the name of the paint but it was last year like $55 / gallon and so
far after 10 years, the paint job looks like new (Houston, Texas
climate).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2013 5:19 PM, Doug wrote:
The other thread got me to thinking. I found out about a year ago
that my hired painter used a lifetime warrantee paint from Benjamin
Moore on the outside of my house. I once went to the local Benjamin
Paint store and asked what exactly how it works for this paint if it
doesn't last. He couldn't really explain . Anyone here know or
maybe I need to re-ask them or another store. If it matters I forgot
the name of the paint but it was last year like $55 / gallon and so
far after 10 years, the paint job looks like new (Houston, Texas
climate).

That is actually a lifetime warrantee OR how long it takes to lose the
receipt, whichever comes first )

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
On 1/25/2013 5:19 PM, Doug wrote:
The other thread got me to thinking. I found out about a year ago
that my hired painter used a lifetime warrantee paint from Benjamin
Moore on the outside of my house. I once went to the local Benjamin
Paint store and asked what exactly how it works for this paint if it
doesn't last. He couldn't really explain . Anyone here know or
maybe I need to re-ask them or another store. If it matters I forgot
the name of the paint but it was last year like $55 / gallon and so
far after 10 years, the paint job looks like new (Houston, Texas
climate).

That is actually a lifetime warrantee OR how long it takes to lose the
receipt, whichever comes first )

When something dies, end of life.

Greg
Senior Member

If you can find out the type of paint you bought, any local Benjamin Moore paint store should be able to explain the "lifetime guarantee".

You may be dealing with a "prorated guarantee" like the kind you get on tires. That is, if the paint doesn't last even one year, you get almost all of your money back. But if it lasts 30 years, you get very little back. But, it's worth checking out.

Guarantees and warantees, in my view, aren't any benefit to the consumer because they effectively limit the manufacturer's liability to the cost of the materials purchased. So, if you were to use Brand X pistons when having the engine in your car rebuilt, if those pistons were to fail, then Brand X would only be obligated to provide you with new ones, or refund your purchase price, at their option. But, it's still you that has to pay to have that engine rebuilt a second time, and are you gonna wanna use that set of new pistons you got from Brand X under warranty this time too? Prolly not. You're going to want to go with someone else's pistons this time so you don't get a bad case of deja vu because you stuck with Brand X.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2013 5:19 PM, Doug wrote:
The other thread got me to thinking. I found out about a year ago
that my hired painter used a lifetime warrantee paint from Benjamin
Moore on the outside of my house. I once went to the local Benjamin
Paint store and asked what exactly how it works for this paint if it
doesn't last. He couldn't really explain . Anyone here know or
maybe I need to re-ask them or another store. If it matters I forgot
the name of the paint but it was last year like $55 / gallon and so
far after 10 years, the paint job looks like new (Houston, Texas
climate).

Contact the manufacturer and ask for a copy of the warranty. No one in
this group can tell you what applies to you.

Then review all of it to discover the dozen reasons why they will never
honor it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 09:25:00 -0500, George
wrote:

On 1/25/2013 5:19 PM, Doug wrote:
The other thread got me to thinking. I found out about a year ago
that my hired painter used a lifetime warrantee paint from Benjamin
Moore on the outside of my house. I once went to the local Benjamin
Paint store and asked what exactly how it works for this paint if it
doesn't last. He couldn't really explain . Anyone here know or
maybe I need to re-ask them or another store. If it matters I forgot
the name of the paint but it was last year like $55 / gallon and so
far after 10 years, the paint job looks like new (Houston, Texas
climate).

Contact the manufacturer and ask for a copy of the warranty. No one in
this group can tell you what applies to you.

Then review all of it to discover the dozen reasons why they will never
honor it.

This sounds like the best idea... get it straight from the horses'
mouth so to speak. I agree probably the warranty is useless but I'm
just curious what they mean by it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Took two seconds on google to discover the obvious- IF you're the original purchaser (warranty's not transferable) AND you applied it properly, AND it fails according to what they consider failure, they'll replace the paint. Not the labor, just paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2013 5:19 PM, Doug wrote:
The other thread got me to thinking. I found out about a year ago
that my hired painter used a lifetime warrantee paint from Benjamin
Moore on the outside of my house. I once went to the local Benjamin
Paint store and asked what exactly how it works for this paint if it
doesn't last.

Truth be told, no paint manufacturer can warranty their paint coating
when they don't control the application process.