Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gas water heater anode is gone....

Awl --

When I installed my Kenmore gas water heater over 10 years ago, I seem to
remember this big honking solid alum rod in the HW side. After replumbing
it, I discovered it ain't there no more..... just a long rusty iron wire,
about 1/8" diam.

I don't imagine I did the heater any favors by letting the anode disappear.
The Q is: how much damage? Proly depends on how long ago it dissolved
away. Any idears on how long they are supposed to last? I've never heard
about replacing these on a maintenance basis.

Any idears on how important these anodes are, ito lifespan of the unit?

Is this a standard plumbing supply item? Or do I have to go back to Sears?

This anode ditty fairly restricts the pipe diameter. Considering the
trouble I went to, to come as close to the heater with 1" brass, this fairly
****es me off.... live and learn....
Well, at least I have 1" to tap off of, later on. Still.....
--
EA