Default Propane hot water heater "anode rod" ?

My son just bought an old house which has a 16 year old propane water
heater. The cold water seems fine but there is a "rotten egg" smell
which comes from the hot water. He was told that the "anode rod" is
probably at fault. Does anyone know what this is, how it works and if
it is replaceable? My own hot water heater is electric and we've had it
for 27 years, which is admittedly longer than most last but we have
very good water here. I think that he does too as I saw no evidence in
his house of calcium build up or rust stains anywhere. I know 16 years
is possibly stretching it on an appliance like this but they hardly
have a nickle left after the home purchase and anything that we can
repair we would like to. Thanks. Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

Sam Goldwasser

"Mike Kennedy" writes:

Sounds like the heating element in an electric hot water heater. Unless it
is some kind of thermostat.

No, it is the sacrificial galvanic magnesium rod used to miminize the
corrosion of the steel tank.

http://popularmechanics.com/home_imp...water_heaters/

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the Feedback Form in the FAQ

wrote in message
ups.com...
My son just bought an old house which has a 16 year old propane water
heater. The cold water seems fine but there is a "rotten egg" smell
which comes from the hot water. He was told that the "anode rod" is
probably at fault. Does anyone know what this is, how it works and if
it is replaceable? My own hot water heater is electric and we've had it
for 27 years, which is admittedly longer than most last but we have
very good water here. I think that he does too as I saw no evidence in
his house of calcium build up or rust stains anywhere. I know 16 years
is possibly stretching it on an appliance like this but they hardly
have a nickle left after the home purchase and anything that we can
repair we would like to. Thanks. Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

Robotron Tom

stated:

My son just bought an old house which has a 16 year old propane water
heater. The cold water seems fine but there is a "rotten egg" smell
which comes from the hot water. He was told that the "anode rod" is
probably at fault. Does anyone know what this is, how it works and if
it is replaceable? My own hot water heater is electric and we've had it
for 27 years, which is admittedly longer than most last but we have
very good water here. I think that he does too as I saw no evidence in
his house of calcium build up or rust stains anywhere. I know 16 years
is possibly stretching it on an appliance like this but they hardly
have a nickle left after the home purchase and anything that we can
repair we would like to. Thanks. Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

The 'Anode Rod' is a metal rod, made of aluminum or magnesium around a
steel wire, which is a softer metal that will sacrificially corrode faster
than the other metal parts on the water heater. The rod is in all water
heaters and should be replaced before they corrode too far and break off in
the tank.

You should see a steel nipple screwed into the tank on the top. Shut the
water off to the tank and bleed off pressure in the tank, then carefully
unscrew the nipple and remove it. The rod is attached to the nipple. Take
it to a plumbing store to get a replacement.

It can be removed to eliminate the rotten egg smell but it can/will shorten
the useful life of your heater. Since this heater has had a prolonged life
the rod seems to have done it's job. Replacing the rod may well cure the
smell problem.

Good luck,
--
Robotron Tom *remove nospam to email*
See the Flashback Arcade at: http:// www.arcadeguy.net

Standing for right when it is unpopular is a true test of moral character.
-M. Smith
James Sweet

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"Mike Kennedy" writes:

Sounds like the heating element in an electric hot water heater. Unless

it
is some kind of thermostat.

No, it is the sacrificial galvanic magnesium rod used to miminize the
corrosion of the steel tank.

http://popularmechanics.com/home_imp...water_heaters/

And they're readily available and not horribly expensive. The only snag you
may run into is that there's sometimes not enough ceiling clearance above
the water heater to replace it. In that case you need to disconnect the
plumbing, drain the tank, and tip the whole unit out a bit.

James Sweet

"Robotron Tom" wrote in message
stated:

[...]

The manual for my water heater says that an aluminum rod can be used in
place of a zinc rod to eliminate the smell, apparently it's not as effective
but better than nothing.

Robotron Tom

James Sweet stated:

"Robotron Tom" wrote in message
stated:

the useful life of your heater. Since this heater has had a prolonged
life the rod seems to have done it's job. Replacing the rod may well
cure the smell problem.

The manual for my water heater says that an aluminum rod can be used
in place of a zinc rod to eliminate the smell, apparently it's not as
effective but better than nothing.

Yes, I meant to add that he should use aluminum for a replacement to help
alleviate the smell.

--
Robotron Tom *remove nospam to email*
See the Flashback Arcade at: http:// www.arcadeguy.net

Standing for right when it is unpopular is a true test of moral
character.
-M. Smith
WbSearch

When we installed a water softener 25 years ago, the advice was to remove the
annode rod. I removed the pipe nipple on the top of the heater and cut the rod
off. No rotten egg smell, nor leaks, nor replacement of the water heater.
James Sweet

"WbSearch" wrote in message
When we installed a water softener 25 years ago, the advice was to remove

the
annode rod. I removed the pipe nipple on the top of the heater and cut

the rod
off. No rotten egg smell, nor leaks, nor replacement of the water heater.

How long has it been? It won't fail instantly, but it will corrode out over
time. Water in some areas is much easier on the tank than others and some
tanks are made much better too.

NSM

"James Sweet" wrote in message

| How long has it been? It won't fail instantly, but it will corrode out
over
| time. Water in some areas is much easier on the tank than others and some
| tanks are made much better too.

Soft water is good, as are glass lined tanks.

Asimov

"James Sweet" bravely wrote to "All" (08 Dec 04 18:19:56)
--- on the heady topic of " Propane hot water heater "anode rod" ?"

JS From: "James Sweet"

JS . The only
JS snag you may run into is that there's sometimes not enough ceiling
JS clearance above the water heater to replace it. In that case you need
JS to disconnect the plumbing, drain the tank, and tip the whole unit out
JS a bit.

If you saw PBS "Ask This Old House" the other week the plumbling
expert showed a rod for low ceilings that came in sections held
together by either a chain, rings, or a metal cable, not sure which
now. But it avoided having to empty the tank to tip it.
BTW I don't recall if he used teflon on the thread. Would that make
sense or it wouldn't matter?

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... I worked hard to attach the electrodes to it.

NSM

"Asimov" wrote in message

If you saw PBS "Ask This Old House" the other week the plumbling
expert showed a rod for low ceilings that came in sections held
together by either a chain, rings, or a metal cable, not sure which
now. But it avoided having to empty the tank to tip it.
BTW I don't recall if he used teflon on the thread. Would that make
sense or it wouldn't matter?

I suspect Teflon might negate the electrical path that handles the
corrosion.

Sam Goldwasser

"NSM" writes:

"Asimov" wrote in message

If you saw PBS "Ask This Old House" the other week the plumbling
expert showed a rod for low ceilings that came in sections held
together by either a chain, rings, or a metal cable, not sure which
now. But it avoided having to empty the tank to tip it.
BTW I don't recall if he used teflon on the thread. Would that make
sense or it wouldn't matter?

I suspect Teflon might negate the electrical path that handles the
corrosion.

Shouldn't matter as the Teflon flows and the joint has at least
some metal-metal contact.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

NSM

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
| "NSM" writes:

| I suspect Teflon might negate the electrical path that handles the
| corrosion.
|
| Shouldn't matter as the Teflon flows and the joint has at least
| some metal-metal contact.

I hate to take chances like that. Better to use plumbers' compound IMO.

Thanks everyone ! My son's gone down to the supply company to look at
replacements. This was a huge help. Best to everyone. Lenny Stein,
Barlen Electronics

Jim Adney

On Wednesday, 08 Dec 2004 22:35:38 -500 "Asimov"
wrote:

If you saw PBS "Ask This Old House" the other week the plumbling
expert showed a rod for low ceilings that came in sections held
together by either a chain, rings, or a metal cable, not sure which
now. But it avoided having to empty the tank to tip it.

I need to go looking for one of those....

BTW I don't recall if he used teflon on the thread. Would that make
sense or it wouldn't matter?

It wouldn't matter. The teflon doesn't prevent electrical contact. It
just shreds and fills all the voids.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Electric Water Heater Problem, Repair or Buy new, please help Robert Home Repair 10 January 10th 04 01:09 AM
Electric Water Heater Problem, Repair or Buy new, please help Robert Home Ownership 9 January 10th 04 01:09 AM
Poor hot water heater performance dperez@juno_nospam.com Home Ownership 3 October 24th 03 03:21 PM