Mike Kennedy

Sounds like the heating element in an electric hot water heater. Unless it
is some kind of thermostat.

wrote in message
ups.com...
My son just bought an old house which has a 16 year old propane water
heater. The cold water seems fine but there is a "rotten egg" smell
which comes from the hot water. He was told that the "anode rod" is
probably at fault. Does anyone know what this is, how it works and if
it is replaceable? My own hot water heater is electric and we've had it
for 27 years, which is admittedly longer than most last but we have
very good water here. I think that he does too as I saw no evidence in
his house of calcium build up or rust stains anywhere. I know 16 years
is possibly stretching it on an appliance like this but they hardly
have a nickle left after the home purchase and anything that we can
repair we would like to. Thanks. Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

---