Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stuck water heater sacrificial anode

We have an approximately 4 year old gas-fired 50 gallon hot water
heater.

Based on recommendations I saw on one of the TV howto shows, I tried
to unscrew and examine the sacrificial anode for corrosion.

However, I could not get the large nut on top of the water heater to
budge. I tried liberally applying liquid wrench and using as much
force as I dared so as not to damage the gas connection.

Any suggestions on how to loosen the nut?
Also, are such inspections really worthwhile in terms of trying to
extend the life of the water heater or am I best off leaving it all
alone?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

"blueman" wrote in message

We have an approximately 4 year old gas-fired 50 gallon hot water
heater.

You do not say what the warranty period is for this heater. If 10y - it may
be to early to change the anode.

However, I could not get the large nut on top of the water heater to
budge. I tried liberally applying liquid wrench and using as much
force as I dared so as not to damage the gas connection.

"As much force" is relative. I'm not sure what the neede torque is, but
it's a lot. I needed an extension on the wrench. With an extension, you
can apply continuous force and it will let go.

Any suggestions on how to loosen the nut?

Just gentle force via an extension.

Also, are such inspections really worthwhile in terms of trying to
extend the life of the water heater or am I best off leaving it all
alone?

Of course, if you don't do it right, you can mess up the heater :-) IMO
it's worth it, if you do it at the right time. Too early and you've wasted
your effort, too late and it's too late.

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 12:56 pm, "RichK" wrote:
"blueman" wrote in message
[...]

I do mine with a long breaker bar and socket. Make sure the tank is
almost full, as the weight will help it keep from moving. I do think
it's a good idea to check it periodically, but if it's really frozen
and refuses to yield, then you could just leave it alone, which is
what probably 95% of peopel do.

You could also use an impact wrench, which would be better at breaking
it loose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 1:52�pm, wrote:
On Dec 7, 12:56 pm, "RichK" wrote:

"blueman" wrote in message
[...]

it loose.- Hide quoted text -

theres a excellent chance, you will ruin your tank if you get to
aggresive, plus will the anode clear the cieling above the heater.

some things are best left alone......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 12:56:51 -0500, RichK wrote:

"blueman" wrote in message

We have an approximately 4 year old gas-fired 50 gallon hot water
heater.

You do not say what the warranty period is for this heater. If 10y - it may
be to early to change the anode.

However, I could not get the large nut on top of the water heater to
budge. I tried liberally applying liquid wrench and using as much
force as I dared so as not to damage the gas connection.

"As much force" is relative. I'm not sure what the neede torque is, but
it's a lot. I needed an extension on the wrench. With an extension, you
can apply continuous force and it will let go.

Any suggestions on how to loosen the nut?

Just gentle force via an extension.

Instead of a wrench, use a socket and breaker bar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

theres a excellent chance, you will ruin your tank if you get to
aggresive, plus will the anode clear the cieling above the heater.

Yes, if you are going to do it, make sure you get the new anode first and
that it fits.. With a tall tank, you'll have to get a curved anode, or one
made up of short sections, which are connected. I've only replaced a
straight one, but have seen pictures of other shapes.

Once you have it open, may want to disinfect the tank as well. Search the
net for instructions. All it takes is a gal of bleach.

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote:

We have an approximately 4 year old gas-fired 50 gallon hot water
heater.

Based on recommendations I saw on one of the TV howto shows, I tried
to unscrew and examine the sacrificial anode for corrosion.

However, I could not get the large nut on top of the water heater to
budge. I tried liberally applying liquid wrench and using as much
force as I dared so as not to damage the gas connection.

Any suggestions on how to loosen the nut?
Also, are such inspections really worthwhile in terms of trying to
extend the life of the water heater or am I best off leaving it all
alone?

Thanks

As trader4 suggested: USE AN IMPACT WRENCH.

I've changed the anode rod twice on my current water heater. The first
time, with the factory-installed (A O Smith) anode rod, required about
one second with a cheap electric (corded) impact wrench (1 1/16" socket)
after using a generous dose of Liquid Wrench. I didn't need the impact
wrench for the second time since I had installed the anode rod
previously, tightly but not as tight as the factory.
Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote:
We have an approximately 4 year old gas-fired 50 gallon hot water

Any suggestions on how to loosen the nut?

I use a portable air tank and an impact driver. ZZZZZZZZZZZIP!