Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead

How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it, much
less get it on a scale. All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 9:25*pm, wrote:
How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? *A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. *I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it, much
less get it on a scale. *All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

I have a 50 gal drum filled with scraps of copper wire. I can't even
move that. I had to do it a bucket at time when I needed to move it
to organize the junk shed a bit.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 9:25*pm, wrote:
How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? *A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. *I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it, much
less get it on a scale. *All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

your free answer...
about 3,000 to 4,000 lbs
Posted to alt.home.repair

Water is about 8.3 pounds per gallon. Lead is about 12 or 13 times as much.
Tire weights, of course, have some air space.

Just for a quick, crude calculation. 55 x 8 x 10 = 4400, or about two tons.

Now, if lead is selling for a buck a pound..... (I'd have to call the
recycle yard in the morning.) If you try to scoop out the wheel weights,
consider wearing gloves and respirator. Lead is toxic.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it, much
less get it on a scale. All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 4:17*am, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 23 January 2013 05:25 wrote in
alt.home.repair:

How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? *A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. *I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it, much
less get it on a scale. *All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

WTF are you anchoring - a frigate?

Actually typical boat anchors don't rely on weight and are
not made of lead. If they did rely on weight, the anchor
would have to weigh in the range of weight of the boat.
They instead rely on being pointed and digging in to the
bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

.

wrote in message
How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it,
much less get it on a scale. All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

Lead is toxic.

Not with milk & sugar on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm glad you read the latest EPA and health
services reports. I missed that one. I'll get some
tire weights for tomorrow's breakfast. I bet they
sit like a rock in the bottom of my stomach?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Red Green" wrote in message

Lead is toxic.

Not with milk & sugar on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2013 9:24 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'm glad you read the latest EPA and health
services reports. I missed that one. I'll get some
tire weights for tomorrow's breakfast. I bet they
sit like a rock in the bottom of my stomach?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Red Green" wrote in message

Lead is toxic.

Not with milk & sugar on it.

I googled to see scrap lead from wheel weights going for 57 cents/lb.
Had been thinking about them for casting bullets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Right, the steel clips are worth a lot lower rate. One of the scale guys
told him to just bring wheel weights. Cause they know the alloy. Ingots of
melted metal, they aren't sure. He kept on melting. Sigh.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 1/23/2013 12:24 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I knew a guy who used to melt wheel weights, and pour
the metal into muffin tins, and taken in to sell. Seemed to
think he got more money that way.

He got rid of the steel clips that way which probably accounted for a
lower price per pound. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01-23-2013 06:32, Stormin Mormon quoted:

wrote in message
How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it, much
less get it on a scale. All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

Yeah, it would firmly anchor the boat to the bottom of the lake.

--
Wes Groleau

Ostracism: A practice of sticking your head in the sand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 21:40:19 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

On Jan 22, 9:25*pm, wrote:
How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? *A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. *I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it, much
less get it on a scale. *All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

I have a 50 gal drum filled with scraps of copper wire. I can't even
move that. I had to do it a bucket at time when I needed to move it
to organize the junk shed a bit.

Harry K

94.6 lbs per gallon of lead. The barrel has some air and some steel
- so my guess would be rougly 2 tons. - likely just a bit shy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jan 22, 9:25*pm, wrote:
How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? *A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. *I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it, much
less get it on a scale. *All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

I have a 50 gal drum filled with scraps of copper wire. I can't even
move that. I had to do it a bucket at time when I needed to move it
to organize the junk shed a bit.

Harry K

OOPS - I figured it as a 45 gallon drum - so likely just OVER 2
tons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Right, the steel clips are worth a lot lower rate. One of the scale guys
told him to just bring wheel weights. Cause they know the alloy. Ingots of
melted metal, they aren't sure. He kept on melting. Sigh.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

Wow... I'd have guessed wheel weight 'alloy' would consist of what ever
showed up cheap, and/or was left over.

For example, the lead equivalent of the garbage rebar and barbell
weights are made of.

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

The metal equivilant of cheap sausage.