DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/352148-how-much-would-55-gallon-metal-drum-filled-lead.html)

[email protected] January 23rd 13 05:25 AM

How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead

How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it, much
less get it on a scale. All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

Harry K[_2_] January 23rd 13 05:40 AM

On Jan 22, 9:25*pm, wrote:
How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? *A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. *I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it, much
less get it on a scale. *All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

I have a 50 gal drum filled with scraps of copper wire. I can't even
move that. I had to do it a bucket at time when I needed to move it
to organize the junk shed a bit.

Harry K

DD_BobK January 23rd 13 07:06 AM

On Jan 22, 9:25*pm, wrote:
How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? *A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. *I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it, much
less get it on a scale. *All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

your free answer...
about 3,000 to 4,000 lbs

Erik[_5_] January 23rd 13 07:52 AM

How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead

In article ,
wrote:

How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it, much
less get it on a scale. All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

Well, assuming it were 55 Gallons of solid lead...

IIRC, lead weighs about 94.7 lbs/gal. Multiplied by 55 comes to 5,208.5
lbs, plus the weight of the drum.

The wheel weights won't be packed in nearly that dense, and most of them
have steel rim clips occupying volume as well... there will be a several
cubic inches of dirt and other misc spooge too. There always is...

So all said and done, your guess is as good as mine. I think if I needed
a 'closeish' estimate, I might try filling & weighing some known volume
container with weights, like maybe an empty gallon paint can or some
such, and doing the math.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, it's really heavy... as a wild ass guess I
bet it's 25 hundred pounds or there bouts...

Erik

Tim Watts[_2_] January 23rd 13 09:17 AM

How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead

On Wednesday 23 January 2013 05:25 wrote in
alt.home.repair:

How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it, much
less get it on a scale. All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

WTF are you anchoring - a frigate?

BTW - they should get it down to the metal scrapyard and weight it in -
drinks are on them.

Rough calc - lets assume the lead weights are 50% lead and 50% air space:

And let's go metric because I cannot do physics in Imperial units...

55 US gallons = 0.208m3

Density of lead = 11340kg/m3, so at a packing ration of 50% air, lets say
about 5500kg/m3

So they have about 1100kg, just over a ton.

Assuming the lead is clean and pure, weigh in scrap prices in the UK would
net them at 90pence/kg (2013 prices) about 990 UKP which is about US$1500

Is this was Britain, they would have been robbed by pikeys by now!
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog:
http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Stormin Mormon[_7_] January 23rd 13 11:32 AM

How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead

Water is about 8.3 pounds per gallon. Lead is about 12 or 13 times as much.
Tire weights, of course, have some air space.

Just for a quick, crude calculation. 55 x 8 x 10 = 4400, or about two tons.

Now, if lead is selling for a buck a pound..... (I'd have to call the
recycle yard in the morning.) If you try to scoop out the wheel weights,
consider wearing gloves and respirator. Lead is toxic.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

[email protected][_2_] January 23rd 13 12:32 PM

On Jan 23, 4:17*am, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 23 January 2013 05:25 wrote in
alt.home.repair:

How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? *A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. *I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it, much
less get it on a scale. *All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

WTF are you anchoring - a frigate?

Actually typical boat anchors don't rely on weight and are
not made of lead. If they did rely on weight, the anchor
would have to weigh in the range of weight of the boat.
They instead rely on being pointed and digging in to the
bottom.

Frank[_17_] January 23rd 13 01:15 PM

On 1/23/2013 12:25 AM, wrote:
How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it, much
less get it on a scale. All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

Pure lead is easy to calculate but since you cannot calculate the free
volume of packing for these irregular shapes the easiest thing to do
would be to weigh a gallon of them.

Red Green January 23rd 13 01:36 PM

How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

.

wrote in message
How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it,
much less get it on a scale. All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

Lead is toxic.

Not with milk & sugar on it.

Stormin Mormon[_7_] January 23rd 13 02:24 PM

How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead

I'm glad you read the latest EPA and health
services reports. I missed that one. I'll get some
tire weights for tomorrow's breakfast. I bet they
sit like a rock in the bottom of my stomach?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Red Green" wrote in message

Lead is toxic.

Not with milk & sugar on it.

Frank[_17_] January 23rd 13 05:38 PM

On 1/23/2013 9:24 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'm glad you read the latest EPA and health
services reports. I missed that one. I'll get some
tire weights for tomorrow's breakfast. I bet they
sit like a rock in the bottom of my stomach?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Red Green" wrote in message

Lead is toxic.

Not with milk & sugar on it.

I googled to see scrap lead from wheel weights going for 57 cents/lb.
Had been thinking about them for casting bullets.

Tim Watts[_2_] January 23rd 13 07:24 PM

How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead

On Wednesday 23 January 2013 12:32 wrote in
alt.home.repair:

On Jan 23, 4:17 am, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 23 January 2013 05:25 wrote in
alt.home.repair:

How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it,
much less get it on a scale. All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

WTF are you anchoring - a frigate?

Actually typical boat anchors don't rely on weight and are
not made of lead. If they did rely on weight, the anchor
would have to weigh in the range of weight of the boat.
They instead rely on being pointed and digging in to the
bottom.

I knew that :-

I was just envisaging someone loading a 1-2 ton "anchor" onto their yacht
and watching the fish through the newly formed "viewing portal" in the hull
:-/

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog:
http://www.dionic.net/tim/

Stormin Mormon[_7_] January 24th 13 03:43 AM

How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead

Right, the steel clips are worth a lot lower rate. One of the scale guys
told him to just bring wheel weights. Cause they know the alloy. Ingots of
melted metal, they aren't sure. He kept on melting. Sigh.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 1/23/2013 12:24 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I knew a guy who used to melt wheel weights, and pour
the metal into muffin tins, and taken in to sell. Seemed to
think he got more money that way.

He got rid of the steel clips that way which probably accounted for a
lower price per pound. ^_^

TDD

Wes Groleau January 24th 13 04:42 AM

How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead

On 01-23-2013 06:32, Stormin Mormon quoted:

wrote in message
How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it, much
less get it on a scale. All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

Yeah, it would firmly anchor the boat to the bottom of the lake.

--
Wes Groleau

Ostracism: A practice of sticking your head in the sand.

[email protected] January 24th 13 05:42 AM

How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 21:40:19 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

On Jan 22, 9:25*pm, wrote:
How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? *A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. *I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it, much
less get it on a scale. *All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

I have a 50 gal drum filled with scraps of copper wire. I can't even
move that. I had to do it a bucket at time when I needed to move it
to organize the junk shed a bit.

Harry K

94.6 lbs per gallon of lead. The barrel has some air and some steel
- so my guess would be rougly 2 tons. - likely just a bit shy.

[email protected] January 24th 13 05:43 AM

wrote:

On Jan 22, 9:25*pm, wrote:
How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? *A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. *I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it, much
less get it on a scale. *All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

I have a 50 gal drum filled with scraps of copper wire. I can't even
move that. I had to do it a bucket at time when I needed to move it
to organize the junk shed a bit.

Harry K

OOPS - I figured it as a 45 gallon drum - so likely just OVER 2
tons.

Erik[_5_] January 24th 13 08:51 AM

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Right, the steel clips are worth a lot lower rate. One of the scale guys
told him to just bring wheel weights. Cause they know the alloy. Ingots of
melted metal, they aren't sure. He kept on melting. Sigh.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

Wow... I'd have guessed wheel weight 'alloy' would consist of what ever
showed up cheap, and/or was left over.

For example, the lead equivalent of the garbage rebar and barbell
weights are made of.

Erik

Stormin Mormon[_7_] January 24th 13 01:03 PM

How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead

The metal equivilant of cheap sausage.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org