Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 21:40:19 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

On Jan 22, 9:25*pm, wrote:
How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? *A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. *I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it, much
less get it on a scale. *All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

I have a 50 gal drum filled with scraps of copper wire. I can't even
move that. I had to do it a bucket at time when I needed to move it
to organize the junk shed a bit.

Harry K

94.6 lbs per gallon of lead. The barrel has some air and some steel
- so my guess would be rougly 2 tons. - likely just a bit shy.