Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead

On Wednesday 23 January 2013 12:32 wrote in
alt.home.repair:

On Jan 23, 4:17 am, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 23 January 2013 05:25 wrote in
alt.home.repair:

How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it,
much less get it on a scale. All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

WTF are you anchoring - a frigate?

Actually typical boat anchors don't rely on weight and are
not made of lead. If they did rely on weight, the anchor
would have to weigh in the range of weight of the boat.
They instead rely on being pointed and digging in to the
bottom.

I knew that :-

I was just envisaging someone loading a 1-2 ton "anchor" onto their yacht
and watching the fish through the newly formed "viewing portal" in the hull
:-/

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog:
http://www.dionic.net/tim/