Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead

On Wednesday 23 January 2013 05:25 wrote in
alt.home.repair:

How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights
weigh? A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the
old wheel weights they take off tires. I asked them what that weighs,
they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it, much
less get it on a scale. All I know is that it's a hell of a boat
anchor....

WTF are you anchoring - a frigate?

BTW - they should get it down to the metal scrapyard and weight it in -
drinks are on them.

Rough calc - lets assume the lead weights are 50% lead and 50% air space:

And let's go metric because I cannot do physics in Imperial units...

55 US gallons = 0.208m3

Density of lead = 11340kg/m3, so at a packing ration of 50% air, lets say
about 5500kg/m3

So they have about 1100kg, just over a ton.

Assuming the lead is clean and pure, weigh in scrap prices in the UK would
net them at 90pence/kg (2013 prices) about 990 UKP which is about US$1500

Is this was Britain, they would have been robbed by pikeys by now!
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog:
http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."