Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Ball valves vs. gas valves

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?

Yes it can, if it carries a label that says (WOG) on it
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 18:26:43 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas?

If it has a yellow knob 1/4 turn handle.

.... in my town
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?

Ball valves are the only type I use for natural gas. NG suppliers treat
corrosive "sour gas" to keep it out of the domestic distribution
network. ^_^

http://www.naturalgas.org/naturalgas/transport.asp

TDD
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?

Depends on the ball valve. If it is WOG rated, it is good for gas.
In SOME areas they need to have yellow handles for gas, in other areas
red is OK.. Here in Ontario any WOG rated valve is OK. Most are
certified for 600psi, which is EXTREME overkill.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?

Real good reason not to believe anything a Home Despot Droid tells
you.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?

I am assuming that you are referring to small - 1/4. 3/8. 1/2" valves
but as for the category of "ball valves" larger ones, say 2", 4", 6",
etc. are commonly used in the gas industry. In fact if memory serves
that are the valve of choice over gate valves for handling gas.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 5:26*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:
Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? *Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". *Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?
--
EA

What kind of ball valve? Water shut-off valves (PVC, brass) also come
in "ball valve".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 1/20/2013 5:37 PM, RBM wrote:
Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode
black
pipe....

Opinions?

Yes it can, if it carries a label that says (WOG) on it

If memory serves me right, WOG means it's rated for Water, Oil and Gas
service which is what most of the ball valves I come across are. ^_^

TDD
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'The Daring Dufas[_8_
NG suppliers treat
corrosive "sour gas" to keep it out of the domestic distribution
network. ^_^

NaturalGas.org

TDD
The DD is correct here. Any hydrogen sulfide in natural gas renders the gas "sour". Not only is sour gas dangerous because breathing in too much H2S will cause you to pass out, and if you aren't removed from the sour gas environment, you'll die after inhaling too much of it. But, pipeline companies burn some of the gas they transport in turbines to drive the natural gas through the pipeline, and when H2S burns it forms sulfuric acid which corrodes their turbine blades. So, normally, gas wells that test sour are shut in until there's enough shut in sour gas wells in an area to build a gas plant to process the gas to remove the H2S before that gas is sold and put in a pipeline. The gas you burn in your boiler, furnace or hot water heater won't have any H2S in it.

I don't see any reason not to use a ball valve on a gas line either.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Existential Angst" wrote in message

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode
black pipe....

Opinions?

Heh, rarely is there this much consensus on an issue.... LOL

I'll spray paint the handle yellow, jic...
In this case, I'm piping in my 15 kW genset, and depending on which table
you use, I am sort of squeaking by, supply-wise, so I can use every sq in of
orifice I can get. The diff between the two is quite a bit.
--
EA

--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?

Ball valves are only for using on your balls. Use then to stop
impregnating women by shutting off your balls....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 20, 2013 at 6:26:43 PM UTC-5, Grokman Grokman wrote:
Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?
--
EA

Well....The Gas is not corrosive but the additive "mercaptan" is a reactive substance due to the sulphur. This is probably what he was referring to.

stop & waste valves, globe-type valves, and pressure regulator valves mm Home Repair 3 June 25th 10 03:40 AM
Lubricating ball valves Pete Verdon UK diy 7 January 15th 10 12:30 PM
Gate valves vs. Ball valves. Graham UK diy 28 August 21st 06 08:11 PM
Ball valves Dane Koekoek UK diy 11 August 3rd 06 08:53 PM
non-return valves, isolating valves and service valves Ron Askew UK diy 3 October 29th 03 07:32 PM