DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ball valves vs. gas valves (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/352044-ball-valves-vs-gas-valves.html)

Existential Angst[_2_] January 20th 13 11:26 PM

Ball valves vs. gas valves

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?
--
EA

RBM[_2_] January 20th 13 11:37 PM

Ball valves vs. gas valves

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?

Yes it can, if it carries a label that says (WOG) on it

Oren[_2_] January 20th 13 11:52 PM

Ball valves vs. gas valves

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 18:26:43 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas?

If it has a yellow knob 1/4 turn handle.

.... in my town

The Daring Dufas[_8_] January 20th 13 11:57 PM

Ball valves vs. gas valves

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?

Ball valves are the only type I use for natural gas. NG suppliers treat
corrosive "sour gas" to keep it out of the domestic distribution
network. ^_^

http://www.naturalgas.org/naturalgas/transport.asp

TDD

[email protected] January 21st 13 12:19 AM

Ball valves vs. gas valves

wrote:

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?

Depends on the ball valve. If it is WOG rated, it is good for gas.
In SOME areas they need to have yellow handles for gas, in other areas
red is OK.. Here in Ontario any WOG rated valve is OK. Most are
certified for 600psi, which is EXTREME overkill.

[email protected] January 21st 13 12:20 AM

Ball valves vs. gas valves

wrote:

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?

Real good reason not to believe anything a Home Despot Droid tells
you.

J.B.Slocomb January 21st 13 01:16 AM

Ball valves vs. gas valves

wrote:

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?

I am assuming that you are referring to small - 1/4. 3/8. 1/2" valves
but as for the category of "ball valves" larger ones, say 2", 4", 6",
etc. are commonly used in the gas industry. In fact if memory serves
that are the valve of choice over gate valves for handling gas.
--
Cheers,

John B.

[email protected] January 21st 13 01:33 AM

Ball valves vs. gas valves

On Jan 20, 5:26*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:
Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? *Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". *Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?
--
EA

What kind of ball valve? Water shut-off valves (PVC, brass) also come
in "ball valve".

The Daring Dufas[_8_] January 21st 13 01:49 AM

Ball valves vs. gas valves

On 1/20/2013 5:37 PM, RBM wrote:
Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode
black
pipe....

Opinions?

Yes it can, if it carries a label that says (WOG) on it

If memory serves me right, WOG means it's rated for Water, Oil and Gas
service which is what most of the ball valves I come across are. ^_^

TDD

Ed Pawlowski January 21st 13 03:21 AM

Ball valves vs. gas valves

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 19:19:29 -0500, wrote:

Depends on the ball valve. If it is WOG rated, it is good for gas.
In SOME areas they need to have yellow handles for gas, in other areas
red is OK.. Here in Ontario any WOG rated valve is OK. Most are
certified for 600psi, which is EXTREME overkill.

Not overkill at all. Sure, for natural gas, but it can be used on
high pressure oxygen, nitrogen, argon, and on and on. That same valve
will find its way to industrial applications

nestork January 21st 13 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'The Daring Dufas[_8_
NG suppliers treat
corrosive "sour gas" to keep it out of the domestic distribution
network. ^_^

NaturalGas.org

TDD

The DD is correct here. Any hydrogen sulfide in natural gas renders the gas "sour". Not only is sour gas dangerous because breathing in too much H2S will cause you to pass out, and if you aren't removed from the sour gas environment, you'll die after inhaling too much of it. But, pipeline companies burn some of the gas they transport in turbines to drive the natural gas through the pipeline, and when H2S burns it forms sulfuric acid which corrodes their turbine blades. So, normally, gas wells that test sour are shut in until there's enough shut in sour gas wells in an area to build a gas plant to process the gas to remove the H2S before that gas is sold and put in a pipeline. The gas you burn in your boiler, furnace or hot water heater won't have any H2S in it.

I don't see any reason not to use a ball valve on a gas line either.

Existential Angst[_2_] January 21st 13 08:33 AM

Ball valves vs. gas valves

"Existential Angst" wrote in message

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode
black pipe....

Opinions?

Heh, rarely is there this much consensus on an issue.... LOL

I'll spray paint the handle yellow, jic... :)
In this case, I'm piping in my 15 kW genset, and depending on which table
you use, I am sort of squeaking by, supply-wise, so I can use every sq in of
orifice I can get. The diff between the two is quite a bit.
--
EA

--
EA

Cydrome Leader January 21st 13 09:13 AM

Ball valves vs. gas valves

wrote:

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?

Real good reason not to believe anything a Home Despot Droid tells
you.

there's some really sketchy stuff at HD, so the droid may have been onto
something when it comes to the stuff they sell.

My favorites are the plastic stemmed water cutoff valves for sinks and
toilets that last about 3 cycles before they somehow fall apart. The brass
nuts for the compression fittings are so thin and crappy they I've seen
some just crack and spring a leak just a few years after installation.

somebody somewhere must be proud of the cost savings they came up with.

Existential Angst[_2_] January 21st 13 10:01 AM

Ball valves vs. gas valves

wrote:

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode
black
pipe....

Opinions?

Real good reason not to believe anything a Home Despot Droid tells
you.

there's some really sketchy stuff at HD, so the droid may have been onto
something when it comes to the stuff they sell.

My favorites are the plastic stemmed water cutoff valves for sinks and
toilets that last about 3 cycles before they somehow fall apart. The brass
nuts for the compression fittings are so thin and crappy they I've seen
some just crack and spring a leak just a few years after installation.

somebody somewhere must be proud of the cost savings they came up with.

Oh, they are proud indeed. They have whole board meetings, with actuaries
and all, to figger these consumer ass****ings out.
--
EA

George January 21st 13 02:09 PM

Ball valves vs. gas valves

wrote:

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?

Depends on the ball valve. If it is WOG rated, it is good for gas.
In SOME areas they need to have yellow handles for gas, in other areas
red is OK.. Here in Ontario any WOG rated valve is OK. Most are
certified for 600psi, which is EXTREME overkill.

Why? It is good for "gas" which can be something else from residential
natural gas and at much higher pressure.

[email protected] January 21st 13 05:32 PM

Ball valves vs. gas valves

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 22:21:01 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 19:19:29 -0500, wrote:

Depends on the ball valve. If it is WOG rated, it is good for gas.
In SOME areas they need to have yellow handles for gas, in other areas
red is OK.. Here in Ontario any WOG rated valve is OK. Most are
certified for 600psi, which is EXTREME overkill.

Not overkill at all. Sure, for natural gas, but it can be used on
high pressure oxygen, nitrogen, argon, and on and on. That same valve
will find its way to industrial applications

Obviously - but we were talking natural gas applications. The
normal conical gas valves are only good for what? 45 psi???

[email protected] January 21st 13 08:40 PM

Ball valves vs. gas valves

wrote:

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?

Ball valves are only for using on your balls. Use then to stop
impregnating women by shutting off your balls.... :)

[email protected] April 23rd 16 03:38 PM

Ball valves vs. gas valves

On Sunday, January 20, 2013 at 6:26:43 PM UTC-5, Grokman Grokman wrote:
Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?
--
EA

Well....The Gas is not corrosive but the additive "mercaptan" is a reactive substance due to the sulphur. This is probably what he was referring to.

[email protected] April 23rd 16 09:42 PM

Ball valves vs. gas valves

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 07:38:01 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Sunday, January 20, 2013 at 6:26:43 PM UTC-5, Grokman Grokman wrote:
Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?
--
EA

Well....The Gas is not corrosive but the additive "mercaptan" is a reactive substance due to the sulphur. This is probably what he was referring to.

I have several ball valves rated for water, gas, oil and air. All od
my gas shutoff valves in the house are "ball valves"

Bob F April 24th 16 03:09 AM

Ball valves vs. gas valves

wrote:
Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the
orifice is MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't
corrode black pipe....

Opinions?
--
EA

Well....The Gas is not corrosive but the additive "mercaptan" is a
reactive substance due to the sulphur. This is probably what he was
referring to.

I used ball valves when I re-piped the gas in my house, and the inspection went
fine.