Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Ball valves vs. gas valves

In rec.crafts.metalworking wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 18:26:43 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?

Real good reason not to believe anything a Home Despot Droid tells
you.

there's some really sketchy stuff at HD, so the droid may have been onto
something when it comes to the stuff they sell.

My favorites are the plastic stemmed water cutoff valves for sinks and
toilets that last about 3 cycles before they somehow fall apart. The brass
nuts for the compression fittings are so thin and crappy they I've seen
some just crack and spring a leak just a few years after installation.

somebody somewhere must be proud of the cost savings they came up with.