Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heating Gasoline in a Microwave

As unbelievable as it sounds, some program I saw on tv, showed a guy put
a gasoline can in a microwave, and turn the MW on. About a minute later
the house exploded. The good part is that it shows the house explode,
so most people would not do it, but the bad part is that it gives
criminals ahd mentally deranged people another means of destruction.
Then we wonder why we have all these shootings and other forms of
violence. I dont know what the program was, because I was not really
watching the tv, I often just have it on when I'm working on stuff, but
I saw it, and thought that was a real stupid thing to show on tv.

Obviolusly this was just "Staged", probably an empty gas can and
nonworking microwave, but if that was actually done, it could explode
instantly if there was even a small amount of vapors leaking out of the
can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 2:47 am, wrote:
As unbelievable as it sounds, some program I saw on tv, showed a guy put
a gasoline can in a microwave, and turn the MW on. About a minute later
the house exploded. The good part is that it shows the house explode,
so most people would not do it, but the bad part is that it gives
criminals ahd mentally deranged people another means of destruction.
Then we wonder why we have all these shootings and other forms of
violence. I dont know what the program was, because I was not really
watching the tv, I often just have it on when I'm working on stuff, but
I saw it, and thought that was a real stupid thing to show on tv.

Obviolusly this was just "Staged", probably an empty gas can and
nonworking microwave, but if that was actually done, it could explode
instantly if there was even a small amount of vapors leaking out of the
can.

That sounds really cool !!!

Could it have been "Mythbusters", testing some urban legend ??

If it was, it was a valid demonstration, since they try to
do the right thing.......

I'm not willing to destroy a working microwave to test this, but
I'd really like to know if it works....

I expect we'll see this trick come up on some spy movies......
Posted to alt.home.repair

You know, that's the kind of giving crooks ideas,
that I'd not want to (for example) mention on an
open Usnet group, that's read by thousands of
people across the world. There is typically a
vent fan, that might be a sparkly brush motor,
that would ignite the vapors.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
As unbelievable as it sounds, some program I
saw on tv, showed a guy put a gasoline can in a
microwave, and turn the MW on. About a minute
later the house exploded. The good part is that it
shows the house explode, so most people would
not do it, but the bad part is that it gives criminals
ahd mentally deranged people another means of
destruction. Then we wonder why we have all these
shootings and other forms of violence. I dont
know what the program was, because I was not
really watching the tv, I often just have it on when
I'm working on stuff, but I saw it, and thought that
was a real stupid thing to show on tv.

Obviolusly this was just "Staged", probably an empty
gas can and nonworking microwave, but if that was
actually done, it could explode instantly if there was
even a small amount of vapors leaking out of the
can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rockford Files, Jim did a spray can in a micro-
wave. In the back of an airplane that was being
hijacked. Enough diversion to allow him to
punch out a couple hijackers.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Robert" wrote in message

Could it have been "Mythbusters", testing some urban legend ??

If it was, it was a valid demonstration, since they try to
do the right thing.......

I'm not willing to destroy a working microwave to test this, but
I'd really like to know if it works....

I expect we'll see this trick come up on some spy movies......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 7:13*am, Robert wrote:

I expect we'll see this trick come up *on some spy movies......

Steven Seagal: Under Siege

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

wrote in message

As unbelievable as it sounds, some program I
saw on tv, showed a guy put a gasoline can in a
microwave, and turn the MW on. About a minute
later the house exploded. The good part is that it
shows the house explode, so most people would
not do it, but the bad part is that it gives criminals
ahd mentally deranged people another means of
destruction. Then we wonder why we have all these
shootings and other forms of violence. I dont
know what the program was, because I was not
really watching the tv, I often just have it on when
I'm working on stuff, but I saw it, and thought that
was a real stupid thing to show on tv.

Obviolusly this was just "Staged", probably an empty
gas can and nonworking microwave, but if that was
actually done, it could explode instantly if there was
even a small amount of vapors leaking out of the
can.

Actually , it won't "explode" until the gas-air ration
getscorrect. In either a leaking can, or a bowl
of gasoline, the vapors would increase in concentration
until such an ignition point was reached. The
sparking would probably be necessary.....
Fan motors in microwaves ovens are induction
type and don't have brushes, so no sparks. However
there may be a sparking relay or thermostat somewhere.
It might just work.... I wish I knew for sure....

Regarding a tool for crooks ---- well, most likely it
would be something for a dumb teenager to read
about and try in his house.... Crooks have plenty
of ways to do mischief without this tool.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 04:13:14 -0800 (PST), Robert
wrote:

On Jan 8, 2:47 am, wrote:
[...]

That sounds funny to me... I'd be more worried about the house than
the microwave but okay... different strokes for different folks g.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 4:13*am, Robert wrote:
On Jan 8, 2:47 am, wrote:

[...]

Day late and a dollar short. Last summer I freecycled a working
microwave. My wife had charcoaled a biscuite in it
and I couldn't find anything that would take the smoke out. Had I
seen this then, I'da been out in my pasture trying it.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
You know, that's the kind of giving crooks ideas,
that I'd not want to (for example) mention on an
open Usnet group, that's read by thousands of
people across the world. There is typically a
vent fan, that might be a sparkly brush motor,
that would ignite the vapors.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

wrote in message

.. .
[...]

I suspect that the 'ignition temperature' would be reached and no need
for a spark.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 07:55:27 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Rockford Files, Jim did a spray can in a micro-
wave. In the back of an airplane that was being
hijacked. Enough diversion to allow him to
punch out a couple hijackers.

Christopher A. Young

I dont think that would work, since the can is metal!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 09:14:45 -0800 (PST), Harry K wrote:

I suspect that the 'ignition temperature' would be reached and no need
for a spark.

Harry K

But would it????
Would the gasoline get hot? Microwaves create heat by exciting the
water molecules. Its the water that gets hot. Gasoline is liquid, but
dont contain water (or shouldn't). I dont think it would heat.....

But if any vapors leak out, there is almost a guarantee that some
contact, switch, or motor is going to create a spark. KABOOM!

This makes me wonder what would happen if someone tried to heat some
very high alcohol content liquor, such as Everclear. That does contain
some water, even if it's minimal. I dont see why anyone would heat
straight liquor, but I'm sure that things like a hot eggnog with rum has
been heated. I would guess that the alcohol content is low enough not
to cause an explosion, but the alcohol vapors still have to go
somewhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Rockford Files, Jim did a spray can in a micro-
wave. In the back of an airplane that was being
hijacked. Enough diversion to allow him to
punch out a couple hijackers.

That's proof that the script writers are total morons. Spray cans
are, um, *metal*.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 05:39:34 -0800 (PST), Thomas
wrote:

On Jan 8, 7:13*am, Robert wrote:

I expect we'll see this trick come up *on some spy movies......

Steven Seagal: Under Siege

That's the one I came up with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/08/2013 04:22 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
You know, that's the kind of giving crooks ideas,
that I'd not want to (for example) mention on an
open Usnet group, that's read by thousands of
people across the world. There is typically a
vent fan, that might be a sparkly brush motor,
that would ignite the vapors.

In every microwave I have dismantled for parts ( 50 of them), I have
yet to come across a motor that uses brushes inside of the oven; every
one of them was an induction motor.

There is, however, a relay inside of each of them, and while the
contacts are enclosed, I would suspect that they might not all be
hermetically sealed units.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try, and get back to us?

I figure the metal can would overheat, and over pressurize.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

Rockford Files, Jim did a spray can in a micro-
wave. In the back of an airplane that was being
hijacked. Enough diversion to allow him to
punch out a couple hijackers.

Christopher A. Young

I dont think that would work, since the can is metal!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 13:40:28 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Try, and get back to us?

I figure the metal can would overheat, and over pressurize.

Nope. Not enough resistance. It might blow out the microwave, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 7:35*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 12:10:11 -0600, wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 09:14:45 -0800 (PST), Harry K wrote:

I suspect that the 'ignition temperature' would be reached and no need
for a spark.

Harry K

But would it????
Would the gasoline get hot? *Microwaves create heat by exciting the
water molecules. *Its the water that gets hot. *Gasoline is liquid, but
dont contain water (or shouldn't). *I dont think it would heat.....

Microwaves heat fat faster than water.

But if any vapors leak out, there is almost a guarantee that some
contact, switch, or motor is going to create a spark. *KABOOM!

This makes me wonder what would happen if someone tried to heat some
very high alcohol content liquor, such as Everclear. *That does contain
some water, even if it's minimal. *I dont see why anyone would heat
straight liquor, but I'm sure that things like a hot eggnog with rum has
been heated. *I would guess that the alcohol content is low enough not
to cause an explosion, but the alcohol vapors still have to go
somewhere.- Hide quoted text -

Put a metal cup in the uwave, filled with any liquid. Both the metal
cup and the liquid in it will heat up, it really doesn't matter which
one heats the other. Alcohol will also heat up, it doesn't have to
just be water molecules that are agitated by the uwaves and get hot.
Take two equal teaspoon fulls of water and rubbing alcohol, put into
two equal-sized pyrex dishes, and turn on the uwave. Both will get
hot and eventually boil off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 5:15*am, TimR wrote:
On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 9:59:18 PM UTC-5, hr(bob) wrote:

*Put a metal cup in the uwave, filled with any liquid. Both the metal cup and the liquid in it will heat up, it really doesn't matter which one heats the other.

Obviously you haven't actually tried this. *Metal cups don't heat up, though they may spark (or not, depends a bit on the shape and size). *We use aluminum foil to keep the corners of brownies from burning - the metal blocks the wavers.

*Alcohol will also heat up, it doesn't have to just be water molecules that are agitated by the uwaves and get hot. Take two equal teaspoon fulls of water and rubbing alcohol, put into two equal-sized pyrex dishes, and turn on the uwave. Both will get hot and eventually boil off.

I haven't tried this one. *Do you think they'll get hot at the same rate?

To be pedantic, a metal cup holding liquid will heat up.

I'm still wondering if, lacking a spark, gasoline vapors would ignite.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 8:15*am, TimR wrote:

Obviously you haven't actually tried this. *Metal cups don't heat up, though

I have a small one cup or so Stainless Thermos for my work lunch.
It goes into the microwave daily. Hot soup and cool on the outside.
No sparks to boot.

I do get the occasional "are you nuts?" look.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 10, 2013 12:48:50 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:
On Jan 10, 8:15*am, TimR wrote: Obviously you haven't actually tried this. *Metal cups don't heat up, though I have a small one cup or so Stainless Thermos for my work lunch. It goes into the microwave daily. Hot soup and cool on the outside. No sparks to boot. I do get the occasional "are you nuts?" look.

So the soup heats up but the metal doesn't? Interesting. I need to look for a junk microwave and try this again. I've never had sparks unless the metal had corners or sharp edges.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas wrote:
On Jan 10, 8:15 am, TimR wrote:

Obviously you haven't actually tried this. Metal cups don't heat up, though

I have a small one cup or so Stainless Thermos for my work lunch.
It goes into the microwave daily. Hot soup and cool on the outside.
No sparks to boot.

I do get the occasional "are you nuts?" look.

A sealed container is not going to work. In microwaves, it's all about
wavelength. If metal coincides with the proper length, it can form a short.
Create effects. If it's not the correct length, it may not do anything. Try
a 2.1 inch piece of foil, or 4.2 inch, vs a 2.6 inch.

A metal container with a 2.1 wide inch top, should allow the RF to energize
the interior.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 10, 2013 11:29:18 AM UTC-5, Harry K wrote:
I'm still wondering if, lacking a spark, gasoline vapors would ignite. Harry K

I'm inclined to think not.

Flash point for gasoline is - 50 F, but flash point is the temperature at which a spark or flame will ignite it.

Autoignition temperature is + 495 F, and I doubt we'll see that in a microwave.

But I'll let mythbusters test it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 9:22*am, TimR wrote:
On Thursday, January 10, 2013 11:29:18 AM UTC-5, Harry K wrote:
I'm still wondering if, lacking a spark, gasoline vapors would ignite. Harry K

I'm inclined to think not.

Flash point for gasoline is - 50 F, but flash point is the temperature at which a spark or flame will ignite it.

Autoignition temperature is + 495 F, and I doubt we'll see that in a microwave.

But I'll let mythbusters test it.

good point. I didn't think the autoignition point would be so high.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:
On Thursday, January 10, 2013 11:29:18 AM UTC-5, Harry K wrote:
I'm still wondering if, lacking a spark, gasoline vapors would ignite. Harry K

I'm inclined to think not.

Flash point for gasoline is - 50 F, but flash point is the temperature at
which a spark or flame will ignite it.

Autoignition temperature is + 495 F, and I doubt we'll see that in a microwave.

But I'll let mythbusters test it.

I had visions of doing a test. Already threw out microwave, I don't know
the conductivity of gas or the vapors. With high RF field it may arc, but
that does not happen to the water vapors. There might be some micro arc hot
spots within the interior.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
You know, that's the kind of giving crooks ideas,
that I'd not want to (for example) mention on an
open Usnet group, that's read by thousands of
people across the world. There is typically a
vent fan, that might be a sparkly brush motor,
that would ignite the vapors.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

wrote in message

.. .
[...]

Would it even get hot?
Metal can,
No water present.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 9:30*pm, TimR wrote:
On Thursday, January 10, 2013 12:48:50 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:
On Jan 10, 8:15*am, TimR wrote: Obviously you haven't actually tried this. *Metal cups don't heat up, though I have a small one cup or so Stainless Thermos for my work lunch. It goes into the microwave daily. Hot soup and cool on the outside. No sparks to boot. I do get the occasional "are you nuts?" look.

So the soup heats up but the metal doesn't? *Interesting. *I need to look for a junk microwave and try this again. *I've never had sparks unless the metal had corners or sharp edges.

*
*
If you put a chinaware plate/cup in with a "gold" rim, the rim will
explode and chip the plate. Ist hand experience

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 8:14 pm, gregz wrote:
TimR wrote:
On Thursday, January 10, 2013 11:29:18 AM UTC-5, Harry K wrote:
I'm still wondering if, lacking a spark, gasoline vapors would ignite. Harry K

I'm inclined to think not.

Flash point for gasoline is - 50 F, but flash point is the temperature at
which a spark or flame will ignite it.

Autoignition temperature is + 495 F, and I doubt we'll see that in a microwave.

But I'll let mythbusters test it.

I had visions of doing a test. Already threw out microwave, I don't know
the conductivity of gas or the vapors. With high RF field it may arc, but
that does not happen to the water vapors. There might be some micro arc hot
spots within the interior.

Greg

If there is a small sliver of metal -- aluminum foil for instance --
in the
microwave, it will heat up, melt, and arc.

I have seen this when heating something in old plastic jars that
were
sealed with metal foil. When the foil is peeled away, it leaves
slivers
of metal around the top rim of the jar. If the jar is later used for
keeping
things in the fridge, and put in the microwave for heating up later,
the
metal fringe arcs over. THAT would give the spark if the plastic jar
were filled with gasoline instead. However, for an explosion, it
would
have to happen when the gas-air concentration was correct. Otherwise
it would just start a fire.

Hint: When using these plastic jars, take a knife and scrape away all
the metal traces on the top rim......

Anyway, just thought I would mention it......