Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Inspection Nightmares

More often than not, things check out OK… but we've all heard a horror
story or two.

This Old House shares some of the most outrageous home inspection
violations we've ever seen:"

Read mo (Pics)

http://magazine.foxnews.com/at-home/home-inspection-nightmares

Another story from few days ago in Nevada.

"CARSON CITY (AP) — Authorities say they went to work pulling dynamite
from the walls of a Carson City home after a man who hadn't lived
there for decades told them he'd stored it there years ago."

From the 50's or 60's!

I bet that dynamite was sweating from the nitro.

http://www.mynews3.com/content/news/local/story/Officials-pull-dynamite-from-walls-of-Carson-City/1uwOY0-zGki2DtnY0Gy45A.cspx?rss=3269
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 11:55*pm, Oren wrote:
More often than not, things check out OK… but we've all heard a horror
story or two.

This Old House shares some of the most outrageous home inspection
violations we've ever seen:"

Read mo *(Pics)

http://magazine.foxnews.com/at-home/home-inspection-nightmares

Another story from *few days ago in Nevada.

"CARSON CITY (AP) — Authorities say they went to work pulling dynamite
from the walls of a Carson City home after a man who hadn't lived
there for decades told them he'd stored it there years ago."

From the 50's or 60's!

I bet that dynamite was sweating from the nitro.

http://www.mynews3.com/content/news/local/story/Officials-pull-dynami...

Y'know, somehow I thought you'd be a Fox News reader.
I expect the perps of these tricks were Fox News readers/watchers too.

We are still digging up Nazi bombs over here.
http://bombsight.org/#16/51.5051/-0.1954

But the biggest cockup is from America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote the following on 12/8/2012 3:28 AM (ET):
On Dec 7, 11:55 pm, Oren wrote:
More often than not, things check out OK… but we've all heard a horror
story or two.

This Old House shares some of the most outrageous home inspection
violations we've ever seen:"

Read mo (Pics)

http://magazine.foxnews.com/at-home/home-inspection-nightmares

Another story from few days ago in Nevada.

"CARSON CITY (AP) — Authorities say they went to work pulling dynamite
from the walls of a Carson City home after a man who hadn't lived
there for decades told them he'd stored it there years ago."

From the 50's or 60's!

I bet that dynamite was sweating from the nitro.

http://www.mynews3.com/content/news/local/story/Officials-pull-dynami...

Y'know, somehow I thought you'd be a Fox News reader.
I expect the perps of these tricks were Fox News readers/watchers too.

We are still digging up Nazi bombs over here.
http://bombsight.org/#16/51.5051/-0.1954

But the biggest cockup is from America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

"A Board of Inquiry concluded that the anchorage the harbour master
assigned had placed the ship in jeopardy, and returned the Montgomery's
captain to full duty within a week".

How about all the other full Liberty ships we sent over there. Any
problems with those?

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Home inspection nightmares. My mom died and I had her home fixed up
nice, including adding a french drain with sump pump in the garage.

the first buyers home inspector flagged the sump pump for lack of
GFCI, but the sale fell thru. So I installed a GFCI to make the next
sale trouble free....

the next buyers home inspector flagged the sump pump for being on a
GFCI said you should never have a GFCI on a sump pump

I could not win.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 11:55 pm, Oren wrote:
More often than not, things check out OK… but we've all heard a horror
story or two.

This Old House shares some of the most outrageous home inspection
violations we've ever seen:"

Read mo *(Pics)

http://magazine.foxnews.com/at-home/home-inspection-nightmares

Another story from *few days ago in Nevada.

"CARSON CITY (AP) — Authorities say they went to work pulling dynamite
from the walls of a Carson City home after a man who hadn't lived
there for decades told them he'd stored it there years ago."

From the 50's or 60's!

I bet that dynamite was sweating from the nitro.

http://www.mynews3.com/content/news/local/story/Officials-pull-dynami....

Y'know, somehow I thought you'd be a Fox News reader.
I expect the perps of these tricks were Fox News readers/watchers too.

We are still digging up Nazi bombs over here.
http://bombsight.org/#16/51.5051/-0.1954

But the biggest cockup is from America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

"A Board of Inquiry concluded that the anchorage the harbour master
assigned had placed the ship in jeopardy, and returned the Montgomery's
captain to full duty within a week".

How about all the other full Liberty ships we sent over there. Any
problems with those?

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

I didn't remark on whose cockup it was.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I once got a call from a homeowner
who had just had inspected and purchased
a home in the most affluent part of Pasadena California
saying that her air conditioner wasn’t cooling.
What I found was that the only return register was outside.
There was no air re-circulation,
all the air was coming from the outside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
harry wrote the following on 12/8/2012 3:28 AM (ET):

But the biggest cockup is from America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

"A Board of Inquiry concluded that the anchorage the harbour master
assigned had placed the ship in jeopardy, and returned the Montgomery's
captain to full duty within a week".

How about all the other full Liberty ships we sent over there. Any
problems with those?

harry has a history of posting stuff to denigrate the US.
He hopes to get away with it because most people don't bother back-cheking
his claims

Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote in message
On Dec 8, 2:28 pm, willshak wrote:
harry wrote the following on 12/8/2012 3:28 AM (ET):

http://bombsight.org/#16/51.5051/-0.1954

But the biggest cockup is from America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

"A Board of Inquiry concluded that the anchorage the harbour master
assigned had placed the ship in jeopardy, and returned the Montgomery's
captain to full duty within a week".

How about all the other full Liberty ships we sent over there. Any
problems with those?

#
#
# I didn't remark on whose cockup it was.
#

yes you did you silly liar
Your words
"But the biggest cockup is from America."

Posted to alt.home.repair

I hear you. Can't win. Same issue has been
discussed, regarding refrigerators, freezers.
No GFCI so you don't lose food.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"bob haller" wrote in message
Home inspection nightmares. My mom died and I had her home fixed up
nice, including adding a french drain with sump pump in the garage.

the first buyers home inspector flagged the sump pump for lack of
GFCI, but the sale fell thru. So I installed a GFCI to make the next
sale trouble free....

the next buyers home inspector flagged the sump pump for being on a
GFCI said you should never have a GFCI on a sump pump

I could not win.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ouch! That's a screw up.

One call I got, from some folks whose furnace
was broken. Some trouble shooting later, turns
out the furnace had ONE return air, which was
mabye 12 x 24 in the living room. Someone had
took out the grille, and replaced it with plywood.
Furnace kept over heating, due to lack of air
flow.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
I once got a call from a homeowner
who had just had inspected and purchased
a home in the most affluent part of Pasadena California
saying that her air conditioner wasn’t cooling.
What I found was that the only return register was outside.
There was no air re-circulation,
all the air was coming from the outside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per bob haller:
the next buyers home inspector flagged the sump pump for being on a
GFCI said you should never have a GFCI on a sump pump

Can anybody explain?

Not knowing anything at all, I'd think GFCI would be an
unmitigated plus/safety factor on any circuit.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

wrote in message
I once got a call from a homeowner
who had just had inspected and purchased
a home in the most affluent part of Pasadena California
saying that her air conditioner wasnt cooling.
What I found was that the only return register was outside.
There was no air re-circulation,
all the air was coming from the outside.

I can't fault the home inspector, but in my house, most of the return was
covered with rug. The only return was a small rectangular hole that was not
is able because of aluminum shroud covering my basement ceiling. It was
easy to cut the rug.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 5:35*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per bob haller:

the next buyers home inspector flagged the sump pump for being on a
GFCI said you should never have a GFCI on a sump pump

Can anybody explain?

Not knowing anything at all, I'd think GFCI would be an
unmitigated plus/safety factor on any circuit.
--
Pete Cresswell

GFCIs werent required in garages just living areas. this according to
the middle states inspector who came out to reinspect the main service
the home inspector flagged the main service because the signature of
the original inspector had faded. you could see it had been signed but
werent able to read the name clearly

a nuisance trip of a sump pumps GFCI could cause the basement to
flood...

and normally with the pump submeged down the hole and sumps being
plastic there shouldnt be a shock hazard....
Posted to alt.home.repair

If the GFCI trips, you might not notice it until there is a foot of water in
your cellar.

Or, until your freezer is thawed, and you lost all your food. Freezers are
the other moment not to use GFCI.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per bob haller:
the next buyers home inspector flagged the sump pump for being on a
GFCI said you should never have a GFCI on a sump pump

Can anybody explain?

Not knowing anything at all, I'd think GFCI would be an
unmitigated plus/safety factor on any circuit.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2012 5:36 PM, bob haller wrote:
[...]

I'm in the process right now of working up a price for an elderly
customer who wants an emergency sump pump. I've had to repair her
furnace due to flooding of her basement even though me and a friend
had pumped out her basement before and installed a new pump and pipe,
the power failed during a heavy thunderstorm and the new pump couldn't
work. I going to go with a medium priced water powered backup pump and
install a sump pump failure alarm. I've seen a wide variation in prices
for water powered backup pumps that run on city water. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I once got a call from a homeowner
who had just had inspected and purchased
a home in the most affluent part of Pasadena California
saying that her air conditioner wasnt cooling.
What I found was that the only return register was outside.
There was no air re-circulation,
all the air was coming from the outside.

I can't fault the home inspector, but in my house, most of the return was
covered with rug. The only return was a small rectangular hole that was not
is able because of aluminum shroud covering my basement ceiling. It was
easy to cut the rug.

Greg

I can't cut a rug at my age and in my shape. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 8:19*pm, " Attila Iskander"
wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On Dec 8, 2:28 pm, willshak wrote: harry wrote the following on 12/8/2012 3:28 AM (ET):

http://bombsight.org/#16/51.5051/-0.1954

But the biggest cockup is from America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

"A Board of Inquiry concluded that the anchorage the harbour master
assigned had placed the ship in jeopardy, and returned the Montgomery's
captain to full duty within a week".

How about all the other full Liberty ships we sent over there. Any
problems with those?

#
#
# I didn't remark on whose cockup it was.
#

yes you did you silly liar
Your words
* * "But the biggest cockup is from America."

The liberty ship wasn't from America then?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 8:17*pm, " Attila Iskander"
wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message

harry wrote the following on 12/8/2012 3:28 AM (ET):

But the biggest cockup is from America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

"A Board of Inquiry concluded that the anchorage the harbour master
assigned had placed the ship in jeopardy, and returned the Montgomery's
captain to full duty within a week".

How about all the other full Liberty ships we sent over there. Any
problems with those?

harry has a history of posting stuff to denigrate the US.
He hopes to get away with it because most people don't bother back-cheking
his claims

Well the governing classes of the USA have become an evil race. The
Great Satan in fact. There is no denying it.

Bush was by far the worst. Spawn of satan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

[...]

Why do you have a need to prove you're abyssally stupid ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 2:03*am, The Daring Dufas the-daring-du...@stinky-
finger.net wrote:
[...]

if the home happens to sit above the level of the surrounding ground,
where a drain line from the sump could reach daylight somewhere in the
yard, perhaps the street.

such a drain line will require some excavating but is way more
reliable than any pump. gravity tends to always work and theres no
batteries to replace and no pump to service.....

city water can be lost in a real emergency. its happended around
here....
Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

I've never had city water fail here in Birmingham even during the
blizzard of 93 and the worst power outages. The location of Ms. W's
house is on a hill but the cost of excavating a gravity drain would be
cost prohibitive. I do agree with you about the reliability of the drain
and I would certainly install such if I was building a home. Our family
home on the farm built into the side of a mountain slope has tile drain
pipe in gravel all the way around the base of the foundation with the
pipe exiting at the lowest point on either side of the house. I don't
recall water ever getting into the basement when I was growing up. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

I got a call from a fellow once who said his AC wasn't working. I
suspected a blocked coil and asked him if he was changing the air
filters on a regular basis. He said yes and that he had just installed
a new air filter. I checked it and it was a brand new filter in pristine
condition STILL in the plastic wrap. ^_^

My cousin used to work for Sears Service. He said that he
frequently got calls for vacuum cleaners that did not work. He
found that the user had put a plastic bag inside the dust collection
bag.

I can understand how people who do not understand how vacuum
cleaners work might think they could put a plastic bag inside the
dust collection bag. I do not understand why they did not take the
plastic bag back out when the vacuum cleaner stopped working.
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 4:12*pm, Daniel Prince wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I got a call from a fellow once who said his AC wasn't working. I
suspected a blocked coil and asked him if he was changing the air
filters on a regular basis. He said yes and that he had just installed
a new air filter. I checked it and it was a brand new filter in pristine
condition STILL in the plastic wrap. ^_^

My cousin used to work for Sears Service. *He said that he
frequently got calls for vacuum cleaners that did not work. *He
found that the user had put a plastic bag inside the dust collection
bag.

I can understand how people who do not understand how vacuum
cleaners work might think they could put a plastic bag inside the
dust collection bag. *I do not understand why they did not take the
plastic bag back out when the vacuum cleaner stopped working.

When I was servicing copiers I had a custome dump all the toner out of
the machine TWICE to clean all that black dirt out if it.

a month later she reported the copier was using too much toner, when
remnded she dumped 2 cases in the trash she wanted it replaced under
warranty.... sorry no

i just talked to a copier tech friday who said he had had 2 different
customers dump the toner.

its amazing how many ways things can go wrong

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

I owned several Renault automobiles back in the 70's and the funky
little R-10 cars at the time had an option of an automatic transmission
which was the manual four speed with a magnetic clutch. The clutch used
a magnetic powder inside the housing to operate. One fellow complained
that his transmission didn't work even after he cleaned all the dust out
of it. A very good example of the need to RTFM. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 00:28:59 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

But the biggest cockup is from America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

Quit your bitching, asshole. If it wasn't for us you would be
speaking German now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My Dad used to put plastic bag in the Shop Vac. Worked fine.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Daniel Prince" wrote in message

My cousin used to work for Sears Service. He said that he
frequently got calls for vacuum cleaners that did not work. He
found that the user had put a plastic bag inside the dust collection
bag.

I can understand how people who do not understand how vacuum
cleaners work might think they could put a plastic bag inside the
dust collection bag. I do not understand why they did not take the
plastic bag back out when the vacuum cleaner stopped working.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 13:12:47 -0800, Daniel Prince
wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

I got a call from a fellow once who said his AC wasn't working. I
suspected a blocked coil and asked him if he was changing the air
filters on a regular basis. He said yes and that he had just installed
a new air filter. I checked it and it was a brand new filter in pristine
condition STILL in the plastic wrap. ^_^

My cousin used to work for Sears Service. He said that he
frequently got calls for vacuum cleaners that did not work. He
found that the user had put a plastic bag inside the dust collection
bag.

I can understand how people who do not understand how vacuum
cleaners work might think they could put a plastic bag inside the
dust collection bag. I do not understand why they did not take the
plastic bag back out when the vacuum cleaner stopped working.

Perhaps they didn't link the two events (cause/effect) because they
changed the bag after the last use? Hey, I put a plastic bag in my
shop vac and it works perfectly well. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message

harry wrote the following on 12/8/2012 3:28 AM (ET):

But the biggest cockup is from America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

"A Board of Inquiry concluded that the anchorage the harbour master
assigned had placed the ship in jeopardy, and returned the Montgomery's
captain to full duty within a week".

How about all the other full Liberty ships we sent over there. Any
problems with those?

harry has a history of posting stuff to denigrate the US.
He hopes to get away with it because most people don't bother back-cheking
his claims

Well the governing classes of the USA have become an evil race. The
Great Satan in fact. There is no denying it.

Bush was by far the worst. Spawn of satan.

You really need to talk to someone about why you live under an perpetual
angry black cloud...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message

harry wrote the following on 12/8/2012 3:28 AM (ET):

But the biggest cockup is from America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

"A Board of Inquiry concluded that the anchorage the harbour master
assigned had placed the ship in jeopardy, and returned the Montgomery's
captain to full duty within a week".

How about all the other full Liberty ships we sent over there. Any
problems with those?

harry has a history of posting stuff to denigrate the US.
He hopes to get away with it because most people don't bother back-cheking
his claims

Well the governing classes of the USA have become an evil race. The
Great Satan in fact. There is no denying it.

Bush was by far the worst. Spawn of satan.

You really need to talk to someone about why you live under an perpetual
angry black cloud...

....and find out why he sounds like a broken record. Never any fresh
material. The same ol' cry baby stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message

[...]

Limited intelligence is very much like limited memory on an IPad
It seriously cuts down on what you can store and/or process.