Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Durable paint for the inside of a microwave oven

We have a well functioning microwave oven with a rusty circular track on
the bottom of the oven where the plastic wheels supporting the rotating
glass dish have rolled for several years.

The track looks awful and it's spread to about 3/4" in width now, much
wider than the wheel treads and I'm thinking it may soon rust right
through the oven floor.

I tried painting it with white automotive touchup paint a while back,
but that only lasted about a week before flaking off.

Can someone name a really tough white paint, maybe an epoxy based one,
that I can use to put a heavy durable coating over that rusty "track"?

Failing that, I guess I can take the time to cut a circular band out of
aluminum or stainless sheet metal and epoxy it over the rusted area with
conductive epoxy to avoid the possibility of it arcing to the oven
floor. But that's a bit of work and prolly guarantees that the microwave
will decide to die soon. G

Thanks guys,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 6, 10:58*am, jeff_wisnia wrote:
[...]

The stain may remain, but there are ways to mitigate without painting.

I do NOT recomend painting inside a microwave. Who knows what's
thepaint going to do.

There is a product called Wink that is mild HF acid with wll remove
almost anythign related to rusting. However, use gloves!

We use a quaternary compound called Unicide 256 from Brulins in
Indiana. That compound removes, reduces rust back to the original.
Not originally intended for that, but it does do it.

We spray it on, rinse off and the rust is always all gone, plus,
cleaned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/6/2012 10:58 AM, jeff_wisnia wrote:

[...]

rustoleum makes an epoxy paint in a rattle can, used for changing the
color of appliances. available at the borg. it does take a while to
harden fully if you can't warm it up some.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Macy" wrote in message
[...]

I do NOT recommend painting inside a microwave. Who knows what's
thepaint going to do.

There is a product called Wink that is mild HF acid with wall remove
almost anything related to rusting. However, use gloves!

DON'T BREATHE THE HF FUMES as permanent lung damage may result.

Posted to alt.home.repair

chaniarts wrote:
[...]

I don't understand flaking off, but epoxy is what I was going to say. You
can't just spray it on top rusty oily surface. I usually use a hair dryer
to speed setting up, and let sit a 2-4 days.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 6, 2012 10:58:47 AM UTC-7, jeff_wisnia wrote:

We have a well functioning microwave oven with a rusty circular
track on the bottom of the oven where the plastic wheels
supporting the rotating glass dish have rolled for several years.

The track looks awful and it's spread to about 3/4" in width now,
much wider than the wheel treads and I'm thinking it may soon rust
right through the oven floor.

I tried painting it with white automotive touchup paint a while
back, but that only lasted about a week before flaking off.

Can someone name a really tough white paint, maybe an epoxy based
one, that I can use to put a heavy durable coating over that rusty
"track"?

Failing that, I guess I can take the time to cut a circular band
out of aluminum or stainless sheet metal and epoxy it over the
rusted area with conductive epoxy to avoid the possibility of
it arcing to the oven floor.

How did you prepare the metal surface before painting it? Because
even car touch-up paint should have lasted a lot longer than a week,
but in general you don't want to use it in a steamy environment
because it's lacquer and is much more porous than enamel. You
should have sanded down to the original primer or to bare metal
and prepared the bare metal with phosphoric acid to make the paint
stick better. Naval Jelly is phosphoric acid and removes rust.
You don't need epoxy paint, just any non-toxic enamel that doesn't
contain pure metal (almost any white enamel will do). Appliance
parts supplies and MCM Electronics sell spray-on microwave oven
cavity paint that's suitable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Some touch up paint is lacquer. Not all. Having metal or conductance in the
paint will not matter. It's too close to the metal to have any effect at
this frequency.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 12:58:47 -0500, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

[...]

I have the exact same problem with my MW. It's a GE Brand. I've wanted
to do something about it, but never have. I thought about sanding it to
remove the rust and just coating it with JB Weld. As long as I use the
slow drying stuff, it should settle and make a smooth surface.

I think it's poor design that causes this. Yet the MW itself has always
worked flawlessly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yep, mine is a GE also.

Thanks for the tips guys,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 10:12:00 -0500, jeff_wisnia

wrote:

[...]

I kind of thought so. Probably identical model, but I dont know my
model number and too lazy to go look.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

W@hat is JB Weld?

I live in SPain so have to find something here.\
The paint is worn off from my scrubbing off the rust and I am down to bare metal. Thanks
EH
Thanks guys,

Jeff

I have the exact same problem with my MW. It's a GE Brand. I've wanted
to do something about it, but never have. I thought about sanding it to
remove the rust and just coating it with JB Weld. As long as I use the
slow drying stuff, it should settle and make a smooth surface.

I think it's poor design that causes this. Yet the MW itself has always
worked flawlessly.

Senior Member

Lee Valley sells a wood repair epoxy that after mixing is as thin as a paint. It's meant for strengthening rotted wood. You mix two liquids together, and you have about an hour to apply the stuff to the wood before it begins to harden. That's more than enough time to paint bare metal and have the epoxy self level.

If it were me, I'd probably just paint the epoxy on and leave it to cure without covering it with metal. Microwave ovens use the polarilty of water molecules to create heat within the food. This is why a porcelain dish won't get hot in a microwave oven without any food on it. There's no water molecules in porcelain to vibrate in response to the microwaves. Similarily, a glass of water won't get hot until the water inside it gets hot, but the heat in the glass is the result of contact with the hot water. So far as I know, there's no water in epoxy either, so you should just be able to paint it with epoxy and leave it.

Go to Lee Valley and ask about their two part liquid epoxy for repairing rotted wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, you can paint it. Would never have happened to begin with if you would have cleaned it like this each and every time since it was new: take a wad of paper towels and wet it really wet, put it in the microwave for two minutes. Take a dry wad of paper towels and put over the hot ones to remove them. Wipe out the hot damp microwave with the dry wad. Works every time and doesn't rust your microwave either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 23:03:37 -0700, Tony Hwang

Yes, you can paint it. Would never have happened to begin with if you would have cleaned it like this each and every time since it was new: take a wad of paper towels and wet it really wet, put it in the microwave for two minutes. Take a dry wad of paper towels and put over the hot ones to remove them. Wipe out the hot damp microwave with the dry wad. Works every time and doesn't rust your microwave either.

Unless there's a spill that I wipe out, I only clean the oven every
few months and I do it by boiling a dish full of water and then wiping
it out, and I never have any rust.

Isn't that baked on paint originally?

The paint on my washing machine was baked on but the e-pox-ee spray
paint I used was as hard as new and never chipped. It's amazing but
it's so.

How will handle the smell of paint
when painted and oven is used. Ordinary new ovens can be had for ~100.00
of less.

100 dollars is a lot of money for some people. You never seem to
notice that. A half-can of epoxy paint costs 5$, and you'll find out
how much it smells when you're done. I'd venture that after a day's
drying or two and 20 minutes boiling water, even to make coffee, there
won't be any smell. This group is home repair, not home buy new.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 02:48:53 -0500, Micky
wrote:

Unless there's a spill that I wipe out, I only clean the oven every
few months and I do it by boiling a dish full of water and then wiping
it out, and I never have any rust.

Isn't that baked on paint originally?

The paint on my washing machine was baked on but the e-pox-ee spray
paint I used was as hard as new and never chipped. It's amazing but
it's so.

How will handle the smell of paint
when painted and oven is used. Ordinary new ovens can be had for ~100.00
of less.

100 dollars is a lot of money for some people. You never seem to
notice that. A half-can of epoxy paint costs 5$, and you'll find out
how much it smells when you're done. I'd venture that after a day's
drying or two and 20 minutes boiling water, even to make coffee, there
won't be any smell. This group is home repair, not home buy new.

I agree about the buying new bit.

I'd suggest the epoxy paint. But let it sit for at least 24 hours, or
48...

I had a MW that rusted around the rollers under the rotating tray. It
was getting real bad, and I was going to paint it too. The MW died
before I got to painting it. So I had no choice but to buy a new one,
because the main board died and was not cost effective to repair.
Actually the part was more than twice the price of a new MW.

Apparently they only sell parts to suckers and idiots....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 12:58:47 PM UTC-5, jeff_wisnia wrote:
[...]

Chicken that is fed grains grown by Monsanto has toxic oil that eats through metal after it explodes while cooking
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 1:49:02 AM UTC-6, Micky wrote:

The paint on my washing machine was baked on but the e-pox-e spray
paint I used was as hard as new and never chipped. It's amazing but
it's so.

Now you're in another world...Porcelain Enamel...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indust...rcelain_enamel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote: "I do NOT recomend painting inside a microwave. Who knows what's "

Simple: Contact the manufacturer(ANY one who makes microwave
ovens really), and find out exactly what they coat the interiors of those
ovens with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 11:58:47 AM UTC-6, jeff_wisnia wrote:
[...]

POR 15, tough as nails
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't use any metal rings anywhere inside the Uwave. Even on the floor of the oven, if it is not in complete bare metal to bare metal contact with the bare metal floor,there will be circulating currents in the metal ring that will make it get hot, and you might get arcing/sparking also. A ring made of non-metal material should be ok as long as it remains electrically non-conducting. That means no spills, etc., which are hard to completely eliminate in a real-life kitchen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, most oven has removable rotating table. If something spills while
cooking, remove table and wash it clean. But if any of the spill gets onto the new "ring" the turntable wheels ride on, if it sinks into the "ring" then the ring will start to become conductive and the uwaves will start to heat it up and the results are impossible to predict.
Posted to alt.home.repair

WWS TEXAS wrote:
[...]

That should work fine on rust. A little ugly LOL.

If my stainless steel microwave rusts, what do I use ?

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phuck Phuck & Phuck Attn at Law" wrote:
[...]

The Monsanto Glyphosate was originaly invented to clean pipes. That might
work as a coating.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/27/2016 04:44 AM, gregz wrote:
Chicken that is fed grains grown by Monsanto has toxic oil that eats
through metal after it explodes while cooking

The Monsanto Glyphosate was originaly invented to clean pipes. That might
work as a coating.

Greg

Maybe keep a RoundUp spray bottle in your kitchen and mist your dinner with it.

http://www.planetexperts.com/monsant...idney-disease/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gz wrote "- show quoted text -
The Monsanto Glyphosate was originaly invented to clean pipes. That might
work as a coating.

Greg "

I wouldn't go around recommending ANY
product of Monsanto's. Not a good
idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

james wrote:
On 01/27/2016 04:44 AM, gregz wrote:
Chicken that is fed grains grown by Monsanto has toxic oil that eats
through metal after it explodes while cooking

The Monsanto Glyphosate was originaly invented to clean pipes. That might
work as a coating.

Greg

Maybe keep a RoundUp spray bottle in your kitchen and mist your dinner with it.

http://www.planetexperts.com/monsant...idney-disease/

Glyphosate binds with metal making it sort of inert. It leeches minerals
out of the food and intestines. They usually give crops an extra hit before
harvest.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

The manufacturer recommends using only appliance touch-up paint insid
Posted to alt.home.repair

I got the a GE and the paint chiping
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 14:30:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I got the a GE and the paint chiping

He
http://amzn.to/2e1YkEj
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Robert Macy, Kylie wrote:
Yo do not recommend to paint inside a microwave but it's already painted
inside????

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...en-725404-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to icansaveyourtime, just try it wrote:
If I had to wet clean and then dry the microwave every time I used it, that
would rather defeat the purpose of a quick 3-5 minute frozen meal which is
covered by film. If I cook something longer, the food is always covered and
there are no spatters or residue. I wipe out the microwave, including
removing the tray and ring, once a week with a vinegar solution, then a plain
water solution, then dry it. We have never had a problem paint erosion caused
by the rotating ring.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...en-725404-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Micky, just try it wrote:
Not saying this m/w should be replaced, but many items should be if they're
past their prime or not fixable.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...en-725404-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to thekmanrocks, Minara wrote:
There are paints called microwave cavity paint available that are safe for the
insides of a microwave. This is available iat amazon or walmart.com

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...en-725404-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Or you could just use white microwave paint! Amazon, walmart, hardware stores, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to icansaveyourtime, 1263916885 1263916885 wrote:
It depends on the microwave smartass. Some MW are known to have flaking
problems. Before you pretend to be the perfect Suzy Housewife...google the
problem...people like you make me wanna puke..so judgemental. Must be a repub

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...en-725404-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to icansaveyourtime, Kristina wrote:
microwave cavity paint

I collect glass lids to put over my food so it doesnt spatter all over the
microwave..

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...en-725404-.htm