Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Cord Removal

My daughter's overpriced flat iron uses this exact cord with built-in GFCI/ALCI:

http://goo.gl/XUQEv

The cord rotates at the iron, as you can see from the non-plug end. How does the
connector disconnect from the iron? I don't want to pull on it. Might there be a
retaining clip inside?

Does a flat iron that's plugged into a GFCI outlet, as is required by code in
bathrooms in US, even need an inline GFCI?

Home Depot has this replacement that might even be a better quality GFCI:

http://goo.gl/m5IKI

I've learned to save the cord from a defective hair dryer if the GFCI is still
good. These parts are probably $2 from China, but they're $20 or more in the US.

On a somewhat related question, can someone suggest a very compact inline method
of splicing a DC power cord? I've used these in the past for replacing DC power
connectors on laptop power supplies, but the strain relief is in the way.

http://goo.gl/ygGbO

Rather than a connector, I'd rather find some sort of cable splice. If that
fails, I can always solder wire-to-wire and cover the splice with heat shrink
tubing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 6, 9:07*am, mcp6453 wrote:
My daughter's overpriced flat iron uses this exact cord with built-in GFCI/ALCI:

http://goo.gl/XUQEv

The cord rotates at the iron, as you can see from the non-plug end. How does the
connector disconnect from the iron? I don't want to pull on it. Might there be a
retaining clip inside?

Who knows for sure. But in general the usual means of attachment

The retaining strain relief, etc is somewhat soft and it's just
pushed into the hole, relies on a groove to hold it in

clip, or nut

one half of the hole is in two halves of the case that come
together and hold it when assembled.

Does a flat iron that's plugged into a GFCI outlet, as is required by code in
bathrooms in US, even need an inline GFCI?

From a safety standpoint, if it's only used in an outlet that
is GFCI, then no, it does not. But obviously it's very easy
to then use it somewhere that is not GFCI.

Home Depot has this replacement that might even be a better quality GFCI:

http://goo.gl/m5IKI

I've learned to save the cord from a defective hair dryer if the GFCI is still
good. These parts are probably $2 from China, but they're $20 or more in the US.

If it's $2 in china, I'll bet I can find something like it on
Ebay for $4, with free shipping.

On a somewhat related question, can someone suggest a very compact inline method
of splicing a DC power cord? I've used these in the past for replacing DC power
connectors on laptop power supplies, but the strain relief is in the way.

http://goo.gl/ygGbO

Rather than a connector, I'd rather find some sort of cable splice. If that
fails, I can always solder wire-to-wire and cover the splice with heat shrink
tubing.

The solder/splice is what I've always done. You could use one
of the butt type crimp connectors too, but soldering leaves less
bulk.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/6/2012 8:07 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
My daughter's overpriced flat iron uses this exact cord with built-in GFCI/ALCI:

http://goo.gl/XUQEv

The cord rotates at the iron, as you can see from the non-plug end. How does the
connector disconnect from the iron? I don't want to pull on it. Might there be a
retaining clip inside?

Possibly, but I'd guess from the way it looks the two halves separate
and just putting them together holds it.

On a somewhat related question, can someone suggest a very compact inline method
of splicing a DC power cord? I've used these in the past for replacing DC power
connectors on laptop power supplies, but the strain relief is in the way.

http://goo.gl/ygGbO

Rather than a connector, I'd rather find some sort of cable splice. If that
fails, I can always solder wire-to-wire and cover the splice with heat shrink
tubing.

I've used the above connectors on a lot of stuff, too. Lastest was to
add an additional low-amp output from battery charger to a sealed
battery pack for an old 'lectric-start push mower that the charger had
died for.

For another w/o the strain reliefs, look at the Amphenol 44 series inline --

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/044%20104%2010002%2002/361-1107-ND/1036151

I don't have any better splicing ideas -- haven't really seen anything
that isn't essentially as bulky as the connector.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mcp6453 wrote:

[...]

You could look at IDC splices, but what is it about soldering you don't
like? It seems like the best solution to me.

(Insulation Displacement Connector, the squeeze-on technology with teeth
that bite through the insulation to contact the conductor. Common in
after-market switch-wheels for lamp cords, and the way those big ribbon
cables in your computer are terminated.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/6/2012 9:58 AM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the pointer to the 44 series. They look interesting.

I believe that I may get some uninsulated butt splices and use them with heat
shrink. That arrangement will solve some problems. The inline connectors look
like a great choice for critical projects.

Break away electrical cord? bob Home Repair 5 November 28th 12 09:46 PM
Strain relief for electrical cord on old appliance? Prof Wonmug[_2_] Home Repair 47 February 14th 11 01:18 AM
Electrical question -- SJ cord Andy Home Repair 15 March 16th 06 06:51 PM
Electrical Cord Corinne Home Repair 7 November 8th 05 02:34 AM
230V Ceiling Mounted Retractable Electrical Cord Pete Woodworking 11 May 3rd 04 06:20 PM