Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Default Break away electrical cord?

I need to replace the power plug on my ten year old vacuum because the cable
jacket has pulled out of the plug, leaving the two wires acting as their own
strain relief.

While I'm at it, I wonder if there is such thing as a break away power cord
that cleanly separates itself when the tension reaches a certain amount
(e.g. 1 pound). This would protect the plug and the wall outlet from
repeated stress.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 19:38:19 -0800, "bob" wrote:

I need to replace the power plug on my ten year old vacuum because the cable
jacket has pulled out of the plug, leaving the two wires acting as their own
strain relief.

While I'm at it, I wonder if there is such thing as a break away power cord
that cleanly separates itself when the tension reaches a certain amount
(e.g. 1 pound). This would protect the plug and the wall outlet from
repeated stress.

Some small appliances us a magnetic attachment. I don't think it
would be very good for a vacuum cleaner though, too easily
disconnected as you move around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 9:38*pm, "bob" wrote:
I need to replace the power plug on my ten year old vacuum because the cable
jacket has pulled out of the plug, leaving the two wires acting as their own
strain relief.

While I'm at it, I wonder if there is such thing as a break away power cord
that cleanly separates itself when the tension reaches a certain amount
(e.g. 1 pound). This would protect the plug and the wall outlet from
repeated stress.

If you have a hot glue gun, you can use that to work hot glue into the
plug and around the wires to make a safe repair.
Posted to alt.home.repair

We have the same problem at my church, people are rough on vac cleaner
cords. You can buy a short extension cord, and put on the end of the vac
cleaner cord. Maybe when you get to the end of the vac cleaner cord, the vac
cleaner plug will pull out of the extension cord socket. If nothing else,
you've got more cord to work with.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"bob" wrote in message
I need to replace the power plug on my ten year old vacuum because the cable
jacket has pulled out of the plug, leaving the two wires acting as their own
strain relief.

While I'm at it, I wonder if there is such thing as a break away power cord
that cleanly separates itself when the tension reaches a certain amount
(e.g. 1 pound). This would protect the plug and the wall outlet from
repeated stress.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 19:38:19 -0800, "bob" wrote:

I need to replace the power plug on my ten year old vacuum because the cable
jacket has pulled out of the plug, leaving the two wires acting as their own
strain relief.

While I'm at it, I wonder if there is such thing as a break away power cord
that cleanly separates itself when the tension reaches a certain amount
(e.g. 1 pound). This would protect the plug and the wall outlet from
repeated stress.

I had one of those. I bought some xmas lites at a garage sale. They
are the old C7 large outdoor bulbs. I plugged it in the outlet, they
worked fine. When I unplugged by grabbing the plug (not the wires). the
hot prong from the cord remained in the outlet, and the wire came thru
the molded part of the plug. That ****ed me off, and I had to shut off
the power to use plyers to remove the brass prong from the outlet. If
it had been the one on the neutral side, I could have just pulled it
out. Anyhow, a new plug fixed it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 26, 2012 10:38:23 PM UTC-5, bob wrote:
While I'm at it, I wonder if there is such thing as a break away power cord
that cleanly separates itself when the tension reaches a certain amount
(e.g. 1 pound). This would protect the plug and the wall outlet from
repeated stress.

Negative reinforcement to the operator of said vacuum cleaner would solve the problem, and you wouldn't need some nonexistent impractical device that only serves to enable someone's bad behavior:

"Dammit! Stop yanking the cord out of the wall with the vacuum! You broke it once already! Do you want to be electrocuted?"

For young kids, a swat on the rear helps reinforce that it is not acceptable to abuse the vacuum.

For the wife, a swat on the rear may be misinterpreted as foreplay. YMMV.

Strain relief for electrical cord on old appliance? Prof Wonmug[_2_] Home Repair 47 February 14th 11 01:18 AM
Electrical question -- SJ cord Andy Home Repair 15 March 16th 06 06:51 PM
Anyone know the name of the shower head that you have to pull a cord to turn it on, and releaseing the cord turns it off? Brett Miller Home Repair 5 March 9th 06 06:14 AM
Electrical Cord Corinne Home Repair 7 November 8th 05 02:34 AM
230V Ceiling Mounted Retractable Electrical Cord Pete Woodworking 11 May 3rd 04 06:20 PM