Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] dennisgauge@gmail.com is offline

Default Break away electrical cord?

On Monday, November 26, 2012 10:38:23 PM UTC-5, bob wrote:
While I'm at it, I wonder if there is such thing as a break away power cord
that cleanly separates itself when the tension reaches a certain amount
(e.g. 1 pound). This would protect the plug and the wall outlet from
repeated stress.

Negative reinforcement to the operator of said vacuum cleaner would solve the problem, and you wouldn't need some nonexistent impractical device that only serves to enable someone's bad behavior:

"Dammit! Stop yanking the cord out of the wall with the vacuum! You broke it once already! Do you want to be electrocuted?"

For young kids, a swat on the rear helps reinforce that it is not acceptable to abuse the vacuum.

For the wife, a swat on the rear may be misinterpreted as foreplay. YMMV.