Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Electrical Cord Removal

On 12/6/2012 8:07 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
My daughter's overpriced flat iron uses this exact cord with built-in GFCI/ALCI:

http://goo.gl/XUQEv

The cord rotates at the iron, as you can see from the non-plug end. How does the
connector disconnect from the iron? I don't want to pull on it. Might there be a
retaining clip inside?

Possibly, but I'd guess from the way it looks the two halves separate
and just putting them together holds it.

On a somewhat related question, can someone suggest a very compact inline method
of splicing a DC power cord? I've used these in the past for replacing DC power
connectors on laptop power supplies, but the strain relief is in the way.

http://goo.gl/ygGbO

Rather than a connector, I'd rather find some sort of cable splice. If that
fails, I can always solder wire-to-wire and cover the splice with heat shrink
tubing.

I've used the above connectors on a lot of stuff, too. Lastest was to
add an additional low-amp output from battery charger to a sealed
battery pack for an old 'lectric-start push mower that the charger had
died for.

For another w/o the strain reliefs, look at the Amphenol 44 series inline --

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/044%20104%2010002%2002/361-1107-ND/1036151

I don't have any better splicing ideas -- haven't really seen anything
that isn't essentially as bulky as the connector.