Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finding light canvas

Canvas I've found in our small town to 12K people has been fairly thick
and heavy. I've used some 8x10' sheets for equipment I leave outdoors;
however, there are time when I want to cover piles of good quality dirt
to prevent weeds from growing on it. I don't need heavy canvas for
that. I do have one 4x6' sheet with grommets in the corners that is
light. I'm not sure it's water proof, but that many not matter for my
application. Perhaps Amazon, Wall-Mart, Costco, Home Depot or other
big stores sell it. Ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2012 6:02 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
Canvas I've found in our small town to 12K people has been fairly thick
and heavy. I've used some 8x10' sheets for equipment I leave outdoors;
however, there are time when I want to cover piles of good quality dirt
to prevent weeds from growing on it. I don't need heavy canvas for
that. I do have one 4x6' sheet with grommets in the corners that is
light. I'm not sure it's water proof, but that many not matter for my
application. Perhaps Amazon, Wall-Mart, Costco, Home Depot or other
big stores sell it. Ideas?

Might look at Typar non-woven polypropylene fabric. It is used in
landscaping.

http://www.typarlandscape.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 15:02:12 -0800, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

Canvas I've found in our small town to 12K people has been fairly thick
and heavy. I've used some 8x10' sheets for equipment I leave outdoors;
however, there are time when I want to cover piles of good quality dirt
to prevent weeds from growing on it. I don't need heavy canvas for
that. I do have one 4x6' sheet with grommets in the corners that is
light. I'm not sure it's water proof, but that many not matter for my
application. Perhaps Amazon, Wall-Mart, Costco, Home Depot or other
big stores sell it. Ideas?

Can't say about canvas.

Black plastic might serve you needs. Used to cover piles of soil.

Warp Brothers 12-4CH10B 4 Mil Black Plastic Sheeting, 10-Foot by
25-Foot

http://www.amazon.com/Warp-Brothers-12-4CH10B-Plastic-Sheeting/dp/B003V0P50G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354059127&sr=8-1&keywords=black+plastic+sheeting

Find it locally...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"W. eWatson" wrote in news:k93gq5$c9q$1@dont-
email.me:

Canvas I've found in our small town to 12K people has been fairly thick
and heavy. I've used some 8x10' sheets for equipment I leave outdoors;
however, there are time when I want to cover piles of good quality dirt
to prevent weeds from growing on it. I don't need heavy canvas for
that. I do have one 4x6' sheet with grommets in the corners that is
light. I'm not sure it's water proof, but that many not matter for my
application. Perhaps Amazon, Wall-Mart, Costco, Home Depot or other
big stores sell it. Ideas?

Nobody in your town sells vapor-barrier plastic? That stuff is available in
really wide widths, and sometimes by the foot rather than the roll.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2012 3:21 PM, Frank wrote:
On 11/27/2012 6:02 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
Canvas I've found in our small town to 12K people has been fairly thick
and heavy. I've used some 8x10' sheets for equipment I leave outdoors;
however, there are time when I want to cover piles of good quality dirt
to prevent weeds from growing on it. I don't need heavy canvas for
that. I do have one 4x6' sheet with grommets in the corners that is
light. I'm not sure it's water proof, but that many not matter for my
application. Perhaps Amazon, Wall-Mart, Costco, Home Depot or other
big stores sell it. Ideas?

Might look at Typar non-woven polypropylene fabric. It is used in
landscaping.

http://www.typarlandscape.com/

Unless, it's UV proof, it's useless. "Plastic" disintegrates insunlight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Nix to "plastic tarps". it disintegrates and leaves fibers blowing all
over the yard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2012 5:06 PM, Tegger wrote:
"W. eWatson" wrote in news:k93gq5$c9q$1@dont-
email.me:

Canvas I've found in our small town to 12K people has been fairly thick
and heavy. I've used some 8x10' sheets for equipment I leave outdoors;
however, there are time when I want to cover piles of good quality dirt
to prevent weeds from growing on it. I don't need heavy canvas for
that. I do have one 4x6' sheet with grommets in the corners that is
light. I'm not sure it's water proof, but that many not matter for my
application. Perhaps Amazon, Wall-Mart, Costco, Home Depot or other
big stores sell it. Ideas?

Nobody in your town sells vapor-barrier plastic? That stuff is available in
really wide widths, and sometimes by the foot rather than the roll.

See remarks above posts about "plastic".
Posted to alt.home.repair

"W. eWatson" wrote:
Canvas I've found in our small town to 12K people has been fairly thick
and heavy. I've used some 8x10' sheets for equipment I leave outdoors;
however, there are time when I want to cover piles of good quality dirt
to prevent weeds from growing on it. I don't need heavy canvas for that.
I do have one 4x6' sheet with grommets in the corners that is light. I'm
not sure it's water proof, but that many not matter for my application.
Perhaps Amazon, Wall-Mart, Costco, Home Depot or other big stores sell it. Ideas?

I guess even harbor freight quit selling it. The last one I bought was a
bit too heavy and stiff.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"W. eWatson" wrote in
:

On 11/27/2012 5:06 PM, Tegger wrote:

Nobody in your town sells vapor-barrier plastic? That stuff is
available in really wide widths, and sometimes by the foot rather
than the roll.

See remarks above posts about "plastic".

How many decades are you planning on leaving this stuff? If you want
something that's going to last decades -- or even a couple of years -- in
direct contact with wet soils, then cotton canvas is NOT your answer. In
those cases, you want something non-organic, like a petroleum product. Like
"plastic".

Vapor barrier "plastic" (heavy LDPE) is pretty durable, even in sunlight.
You'll get several years out of it, at least.

Polypropylene tarps are almost as good, but they're "plastic" as well.

Farm-supply places (should be easy to find in your area, no?) sell weed-
control fabrics that are biodegradable. Problem is, they're also "plastic".
And they're biodegradable, which makes them just like cotton canvas.

Or is your objection to "plastic"...political...?

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

W. eWatson wrote:
Canvas I've found in our small town to 12K people has been fairly
thick and heavy. I've used some 8x10' sheets for equipment I leave
outdoors; however, there are time when I want to cover piles of good
quality dirt to prevent weeds from growing on it. I don't need heavy
canvas for that. I do have one 4x6' sheet with grommets in the
corners that is light. I'm not sure it's water proof, but that many
not matter for my application. Perhaps Amazon, Wall-Mart, Costco,
Home Depot or other big stores sell it. Ideas?

Harbor Freight has (plastic) tarps in a huge variety of sizes. They come in
blue, camo, and silver. Really cheap. Shipping is less than $7.00.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog.../result?q=tarp

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Go buy a roll of visqueen. No fibers and it will last for a year or two at
least before the UV messes it up/

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Plastic pool covers are designed to withstand UV for much longer than 2 years.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2012 8:19 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
On 11/27/2012 3:21 PM, Frank wrote:
On 11/27/2012 6:02 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
Canvas I've found in our small town to 12K people has been fairly thick
and heavy. I've used some 8x10' sheets for equipment I leave outdoors;
however, there are time when I want to cover piles of good quality dirt
to prevent weeds from growing on it. I don't need heavy canvas for
that. I do have one 4x6' sheet with grommets in the corners that is
light. I'm not sure it's water proof, but that many not matter for my
application. Perhaps Amazon, Wall-Mart, Costco, Home Depot or other
big stores sell it. Ideas?

Might look at Typar non-woven polypropylene fabric. It is used in
landscaping.

http://www.typarlandscape.com/

Unless, it's UV proof, it's useless. "Plastic" disintegrates insunlight.

You are generally correct but Typar was designed for this purpose.
In googling, I did find a very similar product but reading reviews said
it did disintegrate in sun light. I definitely would not use any old
black plastic sheet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2012 5:50 PM, Tegger wrote:
"W. eWatson" wrote in
:

[...]

My objection to plastic used for tarps is they disintegrate easily and
spread their fiber in any wind, thereby making a mess.

As I said above, I have a 4x6' canvas (I think it's canvas. I have no
idea if it's cotton. It looks tougher.) that works fine. It's been
covering a pile of dirt for 3 years and shows no sign of wear.

We are facing three storms over the next five days. One is in progress
as I write. When it's over, I'll take that sheet to a h/w store and
ask them what it's made of.

BTW, I live in something of a rural area, and a fair number of
animals wander around--particularly deer. If a deer walks on a plastic
tarp, they often get punctured and start to shred in the wind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"W. eWatson" wrote in
:

My objection to plastic used for tarps is they disintegrate easily and
spread their fiber in any wind, thereby making a mess.

As I said above, I have a 4x6' canvas (I think it's canvas. I have no
idea if it's cotton. It looks tougher.) that works fine. It's been
covering a pile of dirt for 3 years and shows no sign of wear.

Take a cigarette lighter to it (on a corner or hem). If it's a natural
fiber, it will scorch. If plastic, it will melt.

If it melts, smell the fumes. Do they smell like candle wax? Sulphur?
Other?

We are facing three storms over the next five days. One is in progress
as I write. When it's over, I'll take that sheet to a h/w store and
ask them what it's made of.

They may not be able to tell. A farm-supply place may be a better bet.

BTW, I live in something of a rural area, and a fair number of
animals wander around--particularly deer. If a deer walks on a
plastic tarp, they often get punctured and start to shred in the wind.

Point taken. Then you need a woven fiber of some kind. I have personally
found that what is most important is how well the sheet is secured. If
there's any sort of looseness, the wind will eventually make shreds of the
fabric. If the sheet is snug and tight and does not flap in the wind, it
will last a lot longer. Spikes and rocks help a lot.

I still don't think a natural fiber is what you need. Synthetics were
developed partially as an answer to natural fibers' shortcomings.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 12:14:29 -0800, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

BTW, I live in something of a rural area, and a fair number of
animals wander around--particularly deer. If a deer walks on a plastic
tarp, they often get punctured and start to shred in the wind.

Would a painter's canvas drop cloth fit your needs? Some are heavier
than others.

http://www.thepaintstore.com/Heavy_Duty_Canvas_Drop_Cloth_p/m412c.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

"W. eWatson" wrote:
[...]

They still have boating cover and other places where I live, but it's going
to cost.

the heavy duty ones at harbor freight are pretty thick polyethylene.

Greg