Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace Plumbing Question

Hello,

Have a forced hot water heating system. Typical 2 story Colonial house.

Have a valve that I have to replace in the main
household cold water line.

But, I don't want to mess up the heating system, as the pressure in it
is set correctly, etc. There is a valve on its water line, but I am very
reluctant to turn it closed, as it hasn't bee used for many years, and I
don't want to create a new problem.

Question: If I shut off the main Water Supply Line to the house, would
the pressure adj valve going to the furnace keep any backflow from the
upper story of the house flowing out when I remove the cold water valve ?

e.g., do these typical pressure valves have a check valve incorporated
into them ?

Thanks,
B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

There may be a separate check valve. In any case, if you lose the pressure
in the heating sytem, it should repressurize when you turn the water mains
back on. I wouldn't get too worried about it.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Bob" wrote in message
Hello,

Have a forced hot water heating system. Typical 2 story Colonial house.

Have a valve that I have to replace in the main
household cold water line.

But, I don't want to mess up the heating system, as the pressure in it
is set correctly, etc. There is a valve on its water line, but I am very
reluctant to turn it closed, as it hasn't bee used for many years, and I
don't want to create a new problem.

Question: If I shut off the main Water Supply Line to the house, would
the pressure adj valve going to the furnace keep any backflow from the
upper story of the house flowing out when I remove the cold water valve ?

e.g., do these typical pressure valves have a check valve incorporated
into them ?

Thanks,
B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2012 7:48 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
There may be a separate check valve. In any case, if you lose the pressure
in the heating sytem, it should repressurize when you turn the water mains
back on. I wouldn't get too worried about it.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

Learn more about lds
www.whatismormonism.com

wrote in message
Hello,

Have a forced hot water heating system. Typical 2 story Colonial house.

Have a valve that I have to replace in the main
household cold water line.

But, I don't want to mess up the heating system, as the pressure in it
is set correctly, etc. There is a valve on its water line, but I am very
reluctant to turn it closed, as it hasn't bee used for many years, and I
don't want to create a new problem.

Question: If I shut off the main Water Supply Line to the house, would
the pressure adj valve going to the furnace keep any backflow from the
upper story of the house flowing out when I remove the cold water valve ?

e.g., do these typical pressure valves have a check valve incorporated
into them ?

Thanks,
B.

Repressurize is not the problem. If the heating system pressure is lost
when house drinking water system is drained the OP's drinking water
system will be contaminated by the heating system water.

I can't imagine there isn't a check valve somewhere between the boiler
and the house water supply. It is a basic principle that water must not
be able to flow back into the drinking water supply.

But I would try shutting the supply valve to the hot water heating
system. IMHO this should be maintained as a working valve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote in message
[...]

yeah if the heating system ever malfunctions a non functional valve
would mean no water in the home at all.....

time to install a new ball valve, they appear to last forever

Question on plumbing average cost- location New England...For newtoilet and change pedestal plumbing KOS Home Repair 17 March 26th 10 10:37 PM
Furnace/Boiler plumbing - black pipe vs. copper [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 7th 07 03:31 AM
Concrete question (regarding previous plumbing question) [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 17th 06 08:07 PM
Plumbing question MP UK diy 1 May 17th 05 09:52 PM
Questions re New Garage, plumbing and furnace/AC Skirmishd Home Repair 2 July 16th 04 11:43 AM