Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default Furnace/Boiler plumbing - black pipe vs. copper

Dear Readers,

The supply/return pipes that come out of my furnace (I've learned not
to call it a boiler) are threaded black pipe. Only after the
circulators and expansion tank are they changed to copper. I assume
this is to help bear the weight of these pieces of equipment on the
line. Am I correct? Or is it that copper pipe cannot be within a
certain distance to the furnace due to heat or possibility of galvanic
action or some other reasons? Any ideas?

Thank you.
Regards,
Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Nov 5, 10:44 pm, wrote:
Dear Readers,

The supply/return pipes that come out of my furnace (I've learned not
to call it a boiler) are threaded black pipe. Only after the
circulators and expansion tank are they changed to copper. I assume
this is to help bear the weight of these pieces of equipment on the
line. Am I correct? Or is it that copper pipe cannot be within a
certain distance to the furnace due to heat or possibility of galvanic
action or some other reasons? Any ideas?

Thank you.
Regards,
Anthony

1) Why are you calling your boiler a furnace?
2) I have seen boilers completely plumbed with copper, completely
plumbed with black pipe, or a mixture of both. Your install probably
just reflects the personal preferences of the installer.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 7:10 am, wrote:
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 20:44:29 -0800, wrote:
Dear Readers,

What are you, Ann Landers ?

Pls keep this stuff out of alt.hvac.

--
Click here every day to feed an animal that needs you today !!!http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available onlinehttp://pmilligan.net/palm/

Boilers heat water, furnaces heat air.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Nov 6, 7:10 am, wrote:
[...]

I always thought boilers boiled something, maybe water, and furnaces heated
something, maybe air or steel. 8)

Don Young