Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

Default Question on plumbing average cost- location New England...For newtoilet and change pedestal plumbing

Hi... I want to have a new toilet installed in my bathroom.. Already
has plumbing, just want a new toilet.. Also I want to change the
fixtures on my pedestal ..So I will need the plumber to change the old
plumbing fixtures on the pedestal (they were bronze, need to be
brushed) They quoted me, 500-700 to do the work.. I am providing the
toilet and fixtures.. Is that expensive ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

KOS wrote:
Hi... I want to have a new toilet installed in my bathroom.. Already
has plumbing, just want a new toilet.. Also I want to change the
fixtures on my pedestal ..So I will need the plumber to change the old
plumbing fixtures on the pedestal (they were bronze, need to be
brushed) They quoted me, 500-700 to do the work.. I am providing the
toilet and fixtures.. Is that expensive ?

Does a bear **** in the woods???
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"KOS" wrote in message
Hi... I want to have a new toilet installed in my bathroom.. Already
has plumbing, just want a new toilet.. Also I want to change the
fixtures on my pedestal ..So I will need the plumber to change the old
plumbing fixtures on the pedestal (they were bronze, need to be
brushed) They quoted me, 500-700 to do the work.. I am providing the
toilet and fixtures.. Is that expensive ?

Remove and replace Toilet.....2 hrs tops....change taps set....1/2
hr....so two and a half hrs to three hrs work...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KOS" wrote in message
Hi... I want to have a new toilet installed in my bathroom.. Already
has plumbing, just want a new toilet.. Also I want to change the
fixtures on my pedestal ..So I will need the plumber to change the old
plumbing fixtures on the pedestal (they were bronze, need to be
brushed) They quoted me, 500-700 to do the work.. I am providing the
toilet and fixtures.. Is that expensive ?

Umm, yeah. I'm not a plumber, and I've done all of that myself, quite a few
times, and it should take less than 3 hours. Perhaps (usually) there will be
a side trip to the plumbing store for some random part/pipe/tool, but if it
takes you longer than 5 hours, you might not want to do it yourself. Still,
$500+ is WAAAAY high. The last toilet I changed out took less than an hour.
Faucets are so simple I let my husband do them

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KOS" wrote in message
On Mar 24, 7:05 pm, "h" wrote:
"KOS" wrote in message

[...]

My concern with the faucets- remember I already have faucets in the
pedestal.. How do I change the shut off valves?? Right now they are
brass... The new faucets will be brushed- so I will have brushed shut
off valves-- If I could find instructions on how to change the shut
off valves, then I could do it myself.

Why on earth would you want or need to change the shut off valves?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/24/2010 07:31 PM, h wrote:
wrote in message
On Mar 24, 7:05 pm, wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Mine wouldn't shut off when I had to change the fill valve...

Also since they are visible I could understand wanting to change them
for a finish matching the rest of the bathroom fixtures.

There's quarter turn ball valves available now which are nice as well,
although in reality the valve probably gets shut off less than 5 times
during its life

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote
My concern with the faucets- remember I already have faucets in the
pedestal.. How do I change the shut off valves?? Right now they are
brass... The new faucets will be brushed- so I will have brushed shut
off valves-- If I could find instructions on how to change the shut
off valves, then I could do it myself.

Why on earth would you want or need to change the shut off valves?

Because he wants brushed ones to match the sink. On a pedestal sink they
will be exposed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KOS" wrote in message
On Mar 24, 7:05 pm, "h" wrote:
"KOS" wrote in message

My concern with the faucets- remember I already have faucets in the
pedestal.. How do I change the shut off valves?? Right now they are
brass... The new faucets will be brushed- so I will have brushed shut
off valves-- If I could find instructions on how to change the shut
off valves, then I could do it myself

Most shut off valves are threaded on to a pipe coming out of the wall.

Assuming you have that kind of set up, you:
1] Shut off the water at the main valve to your house.
2] Unscrew the old valve from the pipe with a wrench.
3] Apply pipe dope or Teflon tape to the pipe nipple
4] Screw on the new valve and tighten it with a wrench.

The second kind of attachment would be a compression fitting. This kind of
fitting is used on copper pipe, and requires no torch or solder. A nut is
placed over the pipe with the threads facing outwards. Next a metal ring
(ferrule)is placed over the pipe. The valve is then placed on the pipe and
the nut is screwed on to the valve body and the ferrule is compressed
between them, snugging everything tight and effecting a seal.

The third type is soldered on to the pipe coming out of the wall. Changing
these out requires a bit of skill and since you are asking the question you
probably should hire the job out.

You might find good do it yourself books at hardware stores or home
improvement centers, or just borrow them from the local library.

Plumbers are not the only people to call for this kind of work however, you
might want to find a handyman for this job. probably save you over half of
what a plumber would charge you.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
. ..

Prices vary ALOT:

ALOT? Is that more than ALITTLE?

Posted to alt.home.repair

AYes, I'm fairly sure it Ais. I'm Aglad to see that AI'm not
the only Aspelling Anitpick.

--
AChristopher AYoung
Learn more about Jesus

"JawBone" wrote in message

"benick" wrote in message
. ..

Prices vary ALOT:

ALOT? Is that more than ALITTLE?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 10:45*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"h" wrote

My concern with the faucets- remember I already have faucets in the
pedestal.. How do I change the shut off valves?? Right now they are
brass... The new faucets will be brushed- so I will have brushed shut
off valves-- If I could find instructions on how to change the shut
off valves, then I could do it myself.

Why on earth would you want or need to change the shut off valves?

Because he wants brushed ones to match the sink. *On a pedestal sink they
will be exposed.

Really? They're not on mine - the pedestal is quite wide and you'd
really have to work to see them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Caesar Romano" wrote
KOS wrote

Hi... I want to have a new toilet installed in my bathroom.. Already
has plumbing, just want a new toilet.. Also I want to change the
fixtures on my pedestal ..So I will need the plumber to change the old
plumbing fixtures on the pedestal (they were bronze, need to be
brushed) They quoted me, 500-700 to do the work.. I am providing the
toilet and fixtures.. Is that expensive ?

Very

Seems like it to me too but keep in mind the toilet is heavy and this is
often a 2 person job because of that. Also, time is money and that includes
travel time. All we see here is 'New England'. We don't know if he lives
out in the boonies, at a 2 hour drive or something from the plummers.

Are the bolts corroded? Will they have to drill them out? If so this takes
a bit of time. 50$ an hour is not that far off the rate of a good tradesman.

2hoursx4 (both ways)x 2 (2 people)= $400 + 1 hour work at site = $500

Now he's probably not that far away but thats all part of how it works.
Also, he probably included 'haul away' of old unit which costs time as they
have to drive it to the local dump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nonny" wrote
"Stormin Moron" wrote

dUDE....... YOU WANT --- YOU WANT --- YOU WANT ........

Bad day? Is Paul giving you problems?

Look at the addresses. It's not 'Stormin' there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"tmclone" wrote

Why on earth would you want or need to change the shut off valves?

Because he wants brushed ones to match the sink. On a pedestal sink they
will be exposed.

Really? They're not on mine - the pedestal is quite wide and you'd
really have to work to see them.

Therefore we know that all sink are just like yours

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"tmclone" wrote

Why on earth would you want or need to change the shut off valves?

Because he wants brushed ones to match the sink. On a pedestal sink
they
will be exposed.

Really? They're not on mine - the pedestal is quite wide and you'd
really have to work to see them.

Therefore we know that all sink are just like yours

Umm, no, neither do we know that "on a pedestal sink they WILL be exposed".
I've never seen a pedestal sink where the shut off valves are exposed, hence
my question on why would you need to change the fittings. However, there
must be some like that, or your panties wouldn't be in such a bunch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in message

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"tmclone" wrote

Why on earth would you want or need to change the shut off valves?

Because he wants brushed ones to match the sink. On a pedestal sink
they
will be exposed.

Really? They're not on mine - the pedestal is quite wide and you'd
really have to work to see them.

Therefore we know that all sink are just like yours

Umm, no, neither do we know that "on a pedestal sink they WILL be
exposed". I've never seen a pedestal sink where the shut off valves are
exposed, hence my question on why would you need to change the fittings.
However, there must be some like that, or your panties wouldn't be in such
a bunch.

Just stating a FACT, I've seen them visible on an older sink

Plumbing Code - Can I tie my bathroom exaust fan into the main plumbing vent to the outside. johnnymo Home Repair 29 December 9th 18 03:08 AM
New Combi: Change Washing Machine Plumbing? Neal UK diy 4 November 3rd 08 02:23 PM
Plumbing Question [email protected] Home Repair 4 December 22nd 07 03:58 PM
Plumbing Question Dottie Home Repair 11 October 17th 07 10:28 PM
Plumbing question SteveB Home Repair 1 December 23rd 04 05:21 PM