Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawnmower Battery Question

I have a Murray electric start lawnmower. I know that I am supposed to
unplug the cable during the winter months.

Is it safe to leave the battery, unplugged, in the mower which is stored
in the shed, or is it best to store the battery inside where it is warmer?

Thanks all.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2012 7:29 PM, gregz wrote:
Kate wrote:
I have a Murray electric start lawnmower. I know that I am supposed to
unplug the cable during the winter months.

Is it safe to leave the battery, unplugged, in the mower which is stored
in the shed, or is it best to store the battery inside where it is warmer?

Thanks all.

Kate

Don't freeze it unless its on charge. In order to keep life, you must
periodically charge it, or have some magical float charger. What do the
manufactures recommend?

To much charging is not good.

Greg

There are little heating pads made for batteries in vehicles and for
gensets installed in areas that experience very cold weather. You can
find them at any truck parts supply company. ^_^

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/60-w...FQsGnQodyCUAuQ

http://tinyurl.com/d335drd

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 18:10:56 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 11/19/2012 5:26 PM, Kate wrote:
I have a Murray electric start lawnmower. I know that I am supposed to
unplug the cable during the winter months.

Is it safe to leave the battery, unplugged, in the mower which is stored
in the shed, or is it best to store the battery inside where it is warmer?

I don't keep it charged, them it would be better where it doesn't get
terribly cold...when battery discharges the electrolyte concentration
goes down and it's possible to freeze one if it is really cold. That
can damage plates and shorten life...if it's not too much trouble either
get a trickle charger or occasionally go plug the charger in to keep a
charge on it and it would be fine.

Best is to keep the battery stored at about 50F -
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Monday, November 19, 2012 7:06:47 PM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd say inside. Only takes one freeze, to kill it.

Christopher A. Young

Learn more about Jesus

www.lds.org

.

"Kate" wrote in message

I have a Murray electric start lawnmower. I know that I am supposed to

unplug the cable during the winter months.

Is it safe to leave the battery, unplugged, in the mower which is stored

in the shed, or is it best to store the battery inside where it is warmer?

Thanks all.

Kate

My lawn tractor battery stayed in the tractor over winter last year and the temperature went down as low as -40 at times. This Spring
the motor started with one turn of the key. Fully charged in the
Fall should get 'er through. If this battery is OLD...keep it in
a shop or garage and trickle charge it once a month or so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 15:26:14 -0800, Kate wrote:

Is it safe to leave the battery, unplugged, in the mower which is stored
in the shed, or is it best to store the battery inside where it is warmer?

Best is to bring it inside the garage or basement where it won't freeze
but it will stay cool (refrigerator temps are great for batteries) - and -
to charge it periodically with a trickle charger while it's being stored.

But it will last outside just like all driveway gates do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
On 11/19/2012 5:26 PM, Kate wrote:
I have a Murray electric start lawnmower. I know that I am supposed
to unplug the cable during the winter months.

Is it safe to leave the battery, unplugged, in the mower which is
stored in the shed, or is it best to store the battery inside where
it is warmer? ...

I don't keep it charged, them it would be better where it doesn't get
terribly cold...when battery discharges the electrolyte concentration
goes down and it's possible to freeze one if it is really cold. That
can damage plates and shorten life...if it's not too much trouble
either get a trickle charger or occasionally go plug the charger in
to keep a charge on it and it would be fine.

Not keeping it charged is going to damage it.