Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawnmower Battery Question

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 18:10:56 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 11/19/2012 5:26 PM, Kate wrote:
I have a Murray electric start lawnmower. I know that I am supposed to
unplug the cable during the winter months.

Is it safe to leave the battery, unplugged, in the mower which is stored
in the shed, or is it best to store the battery inside where it is warmer?

I don't keep it charged, them it would be better where it doesn't get
terribly cold...when battery discharges the electrolyte concentration
goes down and it's possible to freeze one if it is really cold. That
can damage plates and shorten life...if it's not too much trouble either
get a trickle charger or occasionally go plug the charger in to keep a
charge on it and it would be fine.

Best is to keep the battery stored at about 50F -