Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawnmower Question

I'm very much a novice at lawnmower and small engine repair, so
hopefully this is an easy question for some of you.

I have a Snapper Hydro lawn tractor with a 14HP B&S engine. Over the
past couple of weeks, it has been very slow to start. When I turn the
key, the engine will turn over once, then after 5+ seconds, it will
turn over again, 5+ more seconds and it turns over again, etc. After
20 - 30 seconds, it will gradually start to turn over quicker and
quicker until it finally starts.

Now, it won't turn over at all. The other day, after I had the key
turned to "start" for 20 second or so with no turning over, I noticed
some smoke starting to curl up from the apparatus that turns the
flywheel [solenoid?].

Yesterday, I replaced the battery thinking this may be the problem, but
it still doesn't turn over at all. Stupid question - the battery
should come already charged, right?

Could it be that I need a new solenoid? What's the best way to
determine the source of the problem?

TIA,

Ryan

Posted to alt.home.repair

herlihyboy wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
Sounds like starter motor problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article m, "herlihyboy" wrote:
I'm very much a novice at lawnmower and small engine repair, so
hopefully this is an easy question for some of you.

I have a Snapper Hydro lawn tractor with a 14HP B&S engine. Over the
past couple of weeks, it has been very slow to start. When I turn the
key, the engine will turn over once, then after 5+ seconds, it will
turn over again, 5+ more seconds and it turns over again, etc. After
20 - 30 seconds, it will gradually start to turn over quicker and
quicker until it finally starts.

Could mean a bad starter, or it could mean excessive resistance to being
cranked. Have you checked the oil lately?

Now, it won't turn over at all. The other day, after I had the key
turned to "start" for 20 second or so with no turning over, I noticed
some smoke starting to curl up from the apparatus that turns the
flywheel [solenoid?].

The "apparatus that turns the flywheel" is the starter. The solenoid is part
of the starter.

Yesterday, I replaced the battery thinking this may be the problem, but
it still doesn't turn over at all. Stupid question - the battery
should come already charged, right?

Usually, but not necessarily. Do you have a voltmeter to check it with? If
not, and you intend doing your own repairs, go buy one.

Could it be that I need a new solenoid?

Doubtful. You might need a new starter, though.

What's the best way to
determine the source of the problem?

The *first* thing I'd to is check the oil. If the oil is full up, then remove
the starter. Leave the wires connected to it (or reconnect them after removing
it). Hold the starter against the frame of the mower, or against the negative
battery terminal, to make sure it's grounded. Turn the key. If the starter
motor doesn't spin, replace it. If it does spin, it's fine, and you have some
other, more serious, problem. Take it to a small-engine repair shop.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

It sounds to me that the battery was low and you continued to crank it
anyway which overheated something in the starting system. You should
of checked the battery first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree with you. The poster should never have held the key in the start
position when the motor was not turning. He may be lucky not to have fried
the starter, just the solenoid or a fuse or a wire.
I think he now needs help from someone who can check the starting system.
wrote in message
It sounds to me that the battery was low and you continued to crank it
anyway which overheated something in the starting system. You should
of checked the battery first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

herlihyboy wrote:
[...]

NEVER crank a lawn tractor more than 3 to 5 seconds at a time. If it
doesn't start, wait 5 seconds before trying again.

If you turn the key and the engine does not crank, release the key
IMMEDIATELY. Wait 5 seconds and try again.

If the engine starts to crank but then stops cranking, release the key
IMMEDIATELY. Wait 5 seconds and try again.

You probably destroyed the starter motor.

lawnmower wheels question SeaKan Home Repair 7 July 24th 06 09:53 PM
To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM