Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Yakking and hogging phone lines

With storms, people need to make emergency
phone calls. It's OK to make a few "I'm OK,
honey" calls. But, please be brief, and then
end the call, and free up the phone line. You
may have unlimited calling, but your neighbor
may be needing to call ambulance.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 6:05*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
With storms, people need to make emergency
phone calls. It's OK to make a few "I'm OK,
honey" calls. But, please be brief, and then
end the call, and free up the phone line. *You
may have unlimited calling, but your neighbor
may be needing to call ambulance.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

cell phones are designed during emergencies to only allow 911 calls,
unless your a first responder. plus cell systems arent nearly as
resiliant as the old plain old telephone system thats being
abandoned....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, I'd forgotten that.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"bob haller" wrote in message

cell phones are designed during emergencies to only allow 911 calls,
unless your a first responder. plus cell systems arent nearly as
resiliant as the old plain old telephone system thats being
abandoned....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
With storms, people need to make emergency
phone calls. It's OK to make a few "I'm OK,
honey" calls. But, please be brief, and then
end the call, and free up the phone line. You
may have unlimited calling, but your neighbor
may be needing to call ambulance.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

cell phones are designed during emergencies to only allow 911 calls,
unless your a first responder. plus cell systems arent nearly as
resiliant as the old plain old telephone system thats being
abandoned....

That is how things used to be. Traditional wired carriers are running
away from that market as fast as they can and the wired providers of
today certainly aren't the Bell class of old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry to hear. I grew up on land phone lines,
and hope they stay for many more years.
I hope, but don't expect them to.

Did you hear about the old age pensioner
who was so poor, his hearing aid was on a
party line. He'd turn it on, and hear people
talking.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"George" wrote in message

cell phones are designed during emergencies to only allow 911 calls,
unless your a first responder. plus cell systems arent nearly as
resiliant as the old plain old telephone system thats being
abandoned....

That is how things used to be. Traditional wired carriers are running
away from that market as fast as they can and the wired providers of
today certainly aren't the Bell class of old.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
With storms, people need to make emergency
phone calls. It's OK to make a few "I'm OK,
honey" calls. But, please be brief, and then
end the call, and free up the phone line. *You
may have unlimited calling, but your neighbor
may be needing to call ambulance.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

cell phones are designed during emergencies to only allow 911 calls,
unless your a first responder. plus cell systems arent nearly as
resiliant as the old plain old telephone system thats being
abandoned....

Can you cite something that substantiates that?

I'm not saying you're wrong...it's just that that doesn't seem to jive
with the information at this site:

http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/emerg...tion/tips.html

A number of the tips specifically address how to use a cell phone
during an emergency, how to redial if you don't get through the first
time, etc. There is no indication that they will not work for anything
other than 911 calls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
With storms, people need to make emergency
phone calls. It's OK to make a few "I'm OK,
honey" calls. But, please be brief, and then
end the call, and free up the phone line. You
may have unlimited calling, but your neighbor
may be needing to call ambulance.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

And lets not forget about running with scissors in your hand.

Steve
www.exmormon.org

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote

Can you cite something that substantiates that?

I'm not saying you're wrong...it's just that that doesn't seem to jive
with the information at this site:

http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/emerg...tion/tips.html

A number of the tips specifically address how to use a cell phone
during an emergency, how to redial if you don't get through the first
time, etc. There is no indication that they will not work for anything
other than 911 calls.

* * * * *

A lot of times when I was traveling, I get a "EMERGENCY CALLS ONLY" message
when I am in an area not my prime coverage area. I have never had to try to
call 911 at that time, but suspect if the message is there, the function
could possibly be there, too.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 09:20:36 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Can you cite something that substantiates that?

I'm not saying you're wrong...it's just that that doesn't seem to jive
with the information at this site:

http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/emerg...tion/tips.html

A number of the tips specifically address how to use a cell phone
during an emergency, how to redial if you don't get through the first
time, etc. There is no indication that they will not work for anything
other than 911 calls.

On my way home today I tried calling at my usual spot along the way,
but the call did not go through. The Bluetooth screen in the car had
a message about the phone connection. I pulled out my phone and it
had on the screen, a message reading

"no carrier available, emergency calls only"

I have no idea if it would work or not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:

plus cell systems arent nearly as
resiliant as the old plain old telephone system thats being
abandoned....

The cell system is essentially the same as POTS except for the last leg
to the customer, and at that level cellular has built-in redundancy and
load-sharing that POTS does not. A falling tree or flooded junction box
can take out your POTS line or all the lines in your neighborhood. If
one cell tower goes out, there's still a good chance that you'll be
within range of another tower. And if you have to leave your house,
you'll still have your phone. Sitting on top of your house, surrounded
by flood water, would you rather have a land line or a cell phone?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was not able to find it on the web. I've heard several times, that first
responders get something programmed in their cell phones. Their calls are
more likely to go through.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Can you cite something that substantiates that?

I'm not saying you're wrong...it's just that that doesn't seem to jive
with the information at this site:

http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/emerg...tion/tips.html

A number of the tips specifically address how to use a cell phone
during an emergency, how to redial if you don't get through the first
time, etc. There is no indication that they will not work for anything
other than 911 calls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the field report. Did you try texting?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

On my way home today I tried calling at my usual spot along the way,
but the call did not go through. The Bluetooth screen in the car had
a message about the phone connection. I pulled out my phone and it
had on the screen, a message reading

"no carrier available, emergency calls only"

I have no idea if it would work or not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You should see the confusion when the wives
decide they want to natter with each other. It
looks like a spiders web of phone lines, tangled.

Worse, when ten or so are all in the same room,
walking around each other with stretchy cords.
Why, just last night, wife #14 hung up the phone,
and put it on wife #3 base station. #3 got
disconnected, and #14's call kept yakking on,
setting on the wrong base.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

Wouldn't it be the Mormons who hog most of the phone system during an
emergency? After all, they have to phone ALL of their wives (which can
be as many as 30 or so). Then each wife has umpteen kids to call, and
all the relatives. This could result in hundreds of calls just from one
Mormon man.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 16:33:35 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Thanks for the field report. Did you try texting?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

No. I was driving, even if I did, my wife would not have her phone
on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

Wouldn't it be the Mormons who hog most of the phone system during an
emergency? After all, they have to phone ALL of their wives (which can
be as many as 30 or so). Then each wife has umpteen kids to call, and
all the relatives. This could result in hundreds of calls just from one
Mormon man.

If it has to do with a Mormon man, it trumps mere Gentiles.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/2012 4:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Thanks for the field report. Did you try texting?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

On my way home today I tried calling at my usual spot along the way,
but the call did not go through. The Bluetooth screen in the car had
a message about the phone connection. I pulled out my phone and it
had on the screen, a message reading

"no carrier available, emergency calls only"

I have no idea if it would work or not.

I travel a lot and have never seen that. Maybe you have some sort of
limited plan that doesn't include roaming onto other carriers except for
911?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The problem with it is the law of unintended consequences kicks in.
Suppose you get trapped in a building collapse and have your cell phone
in your pocket and it is working but you can't call anyone because
others with the special privilege are using their phones nearby?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ideally, you'd be able to call 911, but not if
all circuits busy.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"George"
wrote in message ...

The problem with it is the law of unintended
consequences kicks in. Suppose you get trapped in a
building collapse and have your cell phone in your
pocket and it is working but you can't call anyone
because others with the special privilege are using
their phones nearby?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2012 07:42 AM, George wrote:
On 10/29/2012 4:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Thanks for the field report. Did you try texting?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

On my way home today I tried calling at my usual spot along the way,
but the call did not go through. The Bluetooth screen in the car had
a message about the phone connection. I pulled out my phone and it
had on the screen, a message reading

"no carrier available, emergency calls only"

I have no idea if it would work or not.

I travel a lot and have never seen that. Maybe you have some sort of
limited plan that doesn't include roaming onto other carriers except for
911?

I have seem a similar message (from an AT&T phone). Apparently, the only
cell tower it could connect to belongs to a different company that won't
accept connections from AT&T.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"If a man would follow, today, the teachings of the Old Testament, he
would be a criminal. If he would follow strictly the teachings of the
New, he would be insane." -- Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , George
wrote:

The problem with it is the law of unintended consequences kicks in.
Suppose you get trapped in a building collapse and have your cell phone
in your pocket and it is working but you can't call anyone because
others with the special privilege are using their phones nearby?

It would still work with 9-1-1 calls.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2012 9:20 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
[...]

That sounds like what I described. Some plans (especially those big box
mart deals) will only work on the native carrier because it costs more
to roam onto another carrier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Thanks for the field report. Did you try texting?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

No. I was driving, even if I did, my wife would not have her phone
on.

Your wife is the only one you ever text?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Thanks for the field report. Did you try texting?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

No. I was driving, even if I did, my wife would not have her phone
on.

Your wife is the only one you ever text?

Actually, I've never texted her as she rarely has her phone on and
would not know hot to get to the message if I did. She has a flip
phone. In a busy month, I may have three text messages. Daughter
once in a while.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 08:42:21 -0400, George
wrote:

On 10/29/2012 4:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Thanks for the field report. Did you try texting?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

On my way home today I tried calling at my usual spot along the way,
but the call did not go through. The Bluetooth screen in the car had
a message about the phone connection. I pulled out my phone and it
had on the screen, a message reading

"no carrier available, emergency calls only"

I have no idea if it would work or not.

I travel a lot and have never seen that. Maybe you have some sort of
limited plan that doesn't include roaming onto other carriers except for
911?

No, it is an areas with ATT coverage but sometimes poor signal. There
are times I've not connected there but the fist time I ever looked for
the message.

How does Charter phone connect to the phone lines? Metspitzer Home Repair 14 September 10th 12 09:00 PM
really old phone lines wendylee815 Home Repair 110 October 1st 08 05:31 AM
Isn't/Wasn't there a shorage of phone lines? mm Home Repair 25 February 16th 07 07:36 PM
phone lines pockets UK diy 2 October 18th 05 05:28 PM
How to Extend 5 Phone Lines by 15-ft? [email protected] Home Repair 37 January 17th 05 09:22 PM