Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Magic Jack Plus

https://www.magicjackplus2012deal.co...b-53119cbd525a
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2012 9:51 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
https://www.magicjackplus2012deal.co...b-53119cbd525a

I was an early adopter of the original USB only model and the call
quality is much improved over the early days. I use it today and
have it call forwarded to my pager. It is the best thing in the world
to use as a phone number to give out to those who you suspect will not
protect your privacy. Your voice mail can be directed to your Email and
saved as wave files. It can keep pesky calls from your cell or land line
and the jerks can talk to your voice mail/Email all day long. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 10/22/2012 9:51 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
https://www.magicjackplus2012deal.co...b-53119cbd525a

I was an early adopter of the original USB only model and the call
quality is much improved over the early days. I use it today and
have it call forwarded to my pager. It is the best thing in the world
to use as a phone number to give out to those who you suspect will not
protect your privacy. Your voice mail can be directed to your Email and
saved as wave files. It can keep pesky calls from your cell or land line
and the jerks can talk to your voice mail/Email all day long. ^_^

And it plugs right into the router, no more PC on all the time.

Mine is in a box somewhere, and they just charged my CC for the next
year of service. I better go find it. g

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

The Daring Dufas wrote:

https://www.magicjackplus2012deal.com... long link)

I was an early adopter of the original USB only model and the call
quality is much improved over the early days. I use it today and
have it call forwarded to my pager. It is the best thing in the
world to use as a phone number to give out to those who you
suspect will not protect your privacy.

Why not get a google-voice phone number?

It's free, and does the same thing.

http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

To get a google-voice phone number (which can be a phone number from any
US area-code of your choosing) you need to give google a call-back phone
number that you can answer during the sign-up. If you don't want to
give your real home land-line or cell number, then do the sign-up from
some other location where you can answer the phone if it rings (at work,
a friends's house, etc). You can even give it a toll-free number for
the call-back number. You can configure google-voice so that it never
forwards the call to the call-back number - so it can just act like a
voice-mail system and sends you an e-mail of the transcript of the
message.

If you do give google-voice your real home or cell-phone number, then
the way it works is that if someone calls your google-voice number,
google then calls you at your real number and connects both ends of the
call so you end up talking to the person who called the google-voice
number.

For anyone that wants to make out-going phone calls from their computer,
and if you have a gmail account, then get the google-talk plug-in and
you can call any phone number in UC/Canada for free (assuming you are
also somewhere inside US/Canada). This is like skype, except that skype
wants you to pay for these calls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

https://www.magicjackplus2012deal.co...index.cgi?mid=....

I was an early adopter of the original USB only model and the call
quality is much improved over the early days. I use it today and
have it call forwarded to my pager. It is the best thing in the world
to use as a phone number to give out to those who you suspect will not
protect your privacy. Your voice mail can be directed to your Email and
saved as wave files. It can keep pesky calls from your cell or land line
and the jerks can talk to your voice mail/Email all day long. ^_^

TDD

I solved that problem 40 years ago with a phone answering
machine. No wave files required.

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
On 10/22/2012 9:51 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

https://www.magicjackplus2012deal.co...index.cgi?mid=...

I was an early adopter of the original USB only model and the call
quality is much improved over the early days. I use it today and
have it call forwarded to my pager. It is the best thing in the world
to use as a phone number to give out to those who you suspect will not
protect your privacy. Your voice mail can be directed to your Email and
saved as wave files. It can keep pesky calls from your cell or land line
and the jerks can talk to your voice mail/Email all day long. ^_^

TDD

I solved that problem 40 years ago with a phone answering
machine. No wave files required.

I can go to anyplace with WiFi and make a call with my Magic Jack via my
laptop with either a headset or standard telephone. It freaks folks
out when I sit at McDonald's with a standard desk phone at the table
carrying on a phone conversation with someone. It's even funnier when
the desk phone rings and I answer it. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, that would reall get me puzzled. Funny images.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

I can go to anyplace with WiFi and make a call with
my Magic Jack via my laptop with either a headset or
standard telephone. It freaks folks out when I sit at
McDonald's with a standard desk phone at the table
carrying on a phone conversation with someone.

It's even funnier when the desk phone rings and I
answer it. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 22:21:17 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 10/22/2012 9:51 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
https://www.magicjackplus2012deal.co...b-53119cbd525a

I was an early adopter of the original USB only model and the call
quality is much improved over the early days. I use it today and
have it call forwarded to my pager. It is the best thing in the world
to use as a phone number to give out to those who you suspect will not
protect your privacy. Your voice mail can be directed to your Email and
saved as wave files. It can keep pesky calls from your cell or land line
and the jerks can talk to your voice mail/Email all day long. ^_^

TDD

I tried the original one with little success. I would have kept it if
it had reliable incoming answering service. In my case, that didn't
work 100% of the time. That was unacceptable.

I just subscribed to Charter's Voip for two years. I may give MJ+ a
try again when that runs out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I got my first one before the things were available at every corner drug
store and had to order it over The Net. One of the things I do
is service and install VoIP systems so I had to get one to play with
anyway. The one I have now is plugged into my Dell workstation and the
Internet connection is cable with 6m/500k and the MJ works flawlessly.
I have some other VoIP adapters and a whole VoIP KSU to play with and
will be experimenting with them soon. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 12:47:55 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Yes, that would reall get me puzzled. Funny images.

"OK, where's Alan Funt?!"

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

https://www.magicjackplus2012deal.com... long link)

I was an early adopter of the original USB only model and the call
quality is much improved over the early days. I use it today and
have it call forwarded to my pager. It is the best thing in the
world to use as a phone number to give out to those who you
suspect will not protect your privacy.

Why not get a google-voice phone number?

It's free, and does the same thing.

If you do give google-voice your real home or cell-phone number, then
the way it works is that if someone calls your google-voice number,
google then calls you at your real number and connects both ends of the
call so you end up talking to the person who called the google-voice
number.

Unlike MagicJack, Google Voice numbers aren't meant to be thrown away
as soon as you get an undesirable caller. I use my GV number to allow
loved ones and friends to hunt me at home or by cell. MagicJack isn't
needed because GV allows you to block undesirable callers, eliminating
the need to replace your number.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
SMS SMS is offline

On 10/23/2012 5:21 AM, Home Guy wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

https://www.magicjackplus2012deal.com... long link)

I was an early adopter of the original USB only model and the call
quality is much improved over the early days. I use it today and
have it call forwarded to my pager. It is the best thing in the
world to use as a phone number to give out to those who you
suspect will not protect your privacy.

Why not get a google-voice phone number?

It's free, and does the same thing.

http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

snip

If you have broadband service, you can buy an ATA adapter (check out the
ones from Obihai) and use your Google Voice number as your home number
http://www.obihai.com/googlevoice.html.

You can even port your home number, in most cases, to Google Voice, by
first porting it to a prepaid wireless provider like Pageplus, then
porting it to Google Voice (Google Voice allows porting of cell phone
numbers but not landline numbers).

Note that Google has stated that Google Voice will be free at least
until the end of 2012, but they haven't said anything more about this.

There is no 911 service with Google Voice. You do get 911 service with
MagicJack.

One annoyance with Google Voice is that they don't allow forwarding to
foreign phone numbers. When you're traveling and have a foreign cell
phone number with a prepaid SIM it would be nice to be able to forward
calls from your Google Voice number to the foreign number, and since
Google charges for foreign calls it would be a revenue generator for
Google. I use http://www.localphone.com/services/incoming_numbers as a
substitute.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/12 10:51 pm, Metspitzer wrote:
https://www.magicjackplus2012deal.co...b-53119cbd525a

The customer reviews of MJ+ on Amazon are a mixed bag.

Perce

Magic Jack........again Metspitzer Home Repair 31 February 10th 10 03:32 AM
Magic Jack update metspitzer Home Repair 3 August 2nd 08 07:33 PM
Magic Jack metspitzer Home Repair 16 July 29th 08 08:59 PM
Magic Jack metspitzer Home Repair 25 May 31st 08 08:48 AM
Magic Jack USB phone Terry Home Repair 19 February 14th 08 08:26 PM