Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
M.L. M.L. is offline

Default Magic Jack Plus

https://www.magicjackplus2012deal.com... long link)

I was an early adopter of the original USB only model and the call
quality is much improved over the early days. I use it today and
have it call forwarded to my pager. It is the best thing in the
world to use as a phone number to give out to those who you
suspect will not protect your privacy.

Why not get a google-voice phone number?

It's free, and does the same thing.

If you do give google-voice your real home or cell-phone number, then
the way it works is that if someone calls your google-voice number,
google then calls you at your real number and connects both ends of the
call so you end up talking to the person who called the google-voice
number.

Unlike MagicJack, Google Voice numbers aren't meant to be thrown away
as soon as you get an undesirable caller. I use my GV number to allow
loved ones and friends to hunt me at home or by cell. MagicJack isn't
needed because GV allows you to block undesirable callers, eliminating
the need to replace your number.