Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Black & Decker Rice Cooker

We have a B&D rice cooker that quit working. When you plug it in, the light
indicates 'warm' but the switch won't work when you depress it. I took the
bottom off but couldn't see anything that would lock when you hit the
switch. It is out of warranty, so the $64 dollar question is: can you
replace the switch or as is usual in cases like this, it's just cheaper and
easier to buy a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We have a B&D rice cooker that quit working. When you plug it in, the
light indicates 'warm' but the switch won't work when you depress it. I
took the bottom off but couldn't see anything that would lock when you hit
the switch. It is out of warranty, so the $64 dollar question is: can you
replace the switch or as is usual in cases like this, it's just cheaper
and easier to buy a new one.

*I would try calling Black and Decker first to see if a replacement switch
is available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012, Steve Scully wrote:

We have a B&D rice cooker that quit working. When you plug it in, the light
indicates 'warm' but the switch won't work when you depress it. I took the
bottom off but couldn't see anything that would lock when you hit the
switch. It is out of warranty, so the $64 dollar question is: can you
replace the switch or as is usual in cases like this, it's just cheaper and
easier to buy a new one.

Best would be to stop eating rice. All of it has arsenic. Some of it (like
brown rice) has a lot. The full report is in the November 2012 Consumer
Reports.

Being an online CR subscriber it isn't easy for me to tell which articles
are available to non-subscribers. But numerous links are he

https://www.google.com/search?q=arsenic+rice

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Scully" wrote in message ...
We have a B&D rice cooker that quit working. When you plug it in, the light
indicates 'warm' but the switch won't work when you depress it. I took the
bottom off but couldn't see anything that would lock when you hit the
switch. It is out of warranty, so the $64 dollar question is: can you
replace the switch or as is usual in cases like this, it's just cheaper and
easier to buy a new one.

You no need rice cooker, cook authentic in pan of boiling water on stove.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012, Yenhsi Chang wrote:

You no need rice cooker, cook authentic in pan of boiling water on stove.

Yes, "authentic" is better. There is less arsenic when cooked the
traditional way. Americans tend to add the exact amount of water, so that
it is all absorbed. The traditonal way was in boiling water with the water
then poured off through a strainer. Doing it this way will reduce the
arsenic, as much will go out with the water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Scully wrote:
We have a B&D rice cooker that quit working. When you plug it in, the light
indicates 'warm' but the switch won't work when you depress it. I took the
bottom off but couldn't see anything that would lock when you hit the
switch. It is out of warranty, so the $64 dollar question is: can you
replace the switch or as is usual in cases like this, it's just cheaper and
easier to buy a new one.

Hi,
Throw out that junk. Go to a Japanese or Korean grocery store and buy a
micro processor controlled automatic rice/pressure cooker. Just put in
rinsed rice, measured water. Close the lid and lock it. Push a button
after selecting menu. It is done in about 20 mins. You can cook many
other things with it. One in our kitchen is ~5 years old and still
working fine. Cheapest plain cooker is about 10.00 bucks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2012 7:33 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012, Steve Scully wrote:

We have a B&D rice cooker that quit working. When you plug it in, the light
indicates 'warm' but the switch won't work when you depress it. I took the
bottom off but couldn't see anything that would lock when you hit the
switch. It is out of warranty, so the $64 dollar question is: can you
replace the switch or as is usual in cases like this, it's just cheaper and
easier to buy a new one.

Best would be to stop eating rice. All of it has arsenic. Some of it (like
brown rice) has a lot. The full report is in the November 2012 Consumer
Reports.

Just switch to foreign-grown rice. It's the US-grown rice that has the
biggest problem, thanks to the poultry and pig producers feeding
arsenic-laced feed to their animals. The manure is used in rice fields
and is picked up by the rice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 14:26:36 -0500, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Just switch to foreign-grown rice. It's the US-grown rice that has the
biggest problem,

Let me go back and reread the article... The article does not specifically
state that foreign-grown is better, but none of the six foreign-grown that
they tested is in red.

thanks to the poultry and pig producers feeding
arsenic-laced feed to their animals. The manure is used in rice fields
and is picked up by the rice.

That is only part of the problem. I quote from Consumer Reports:

"White rice grown in Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, and Texas, which
account for 76 percent of domestic rice, generally had higher levels of
total arsenic and inorganic arsenic in our tests than rice samples from
elsewhere.

"That south-central region of the country has a long history of producing
cotton, a crop that was heavily treated with arsenical pesticides for
decades in part to combat the boll weevil beetle."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012, Yenhsi Chang wrote:

You no need rice cooker, cook authentic in pan of boiling water on stove.

I have the Consumer Reports article open for my other post, so let me quote
what they wrote about this:

Change the way you cook rice
You may be able to cut your exposure to inorganic arsenic in rice by
rinsing raw rice thoroughly before cooking, using a ratio of 6 cups water
to 1 cup rice for cooking and draining the excess water afterward. That is
a traditional method of cooking rice in Asia. The modern technique of
cooking rice in water that is entirely absorbed by the grains has been
promoted because it allows rice to retain more of its vitamins and other
nutrients. But even though you may sacrifice some of rice's nutritional
value, research has shown that rinsing and using more water removes about
30 percent of the rice's inorganic arsenic content.