Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default Black & Decker Rice Cooker

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 14:26:36 -0500, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Just switch to foreign-grown rice. It's the US-grown rice that has the
biggest problem,

Let me go back and reread the article... The article does not specifically
state that foreign-grown is better, but none of the six foreign-grown that
they tested is in red.

thanks to the poultry and pig producers feeding
arsenic-laced feed to their animals. The manure is used in rice fields
and is picked up by the rice.

That is only part of the problem. I quote from Consumer Reports:

"White rice grown in Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, and Texas, which
account for 76 percent of domestic rice, generally had higher levels of
total arsenic and inorganic arsenic in our tests than rice samples from
elsewhere.

"That south-central region of the country has a long history of producing
cotton, a crop that was heavily treated with arsenical pesticides for
decades in part to combat the boll weevil beetle."