Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I didn't need the 4" Hole Saw after all

Some of you may remember my post about looking for an alternative to a 4
hole saw for an exhaust vent. One of the main concerns was trying to cut
the hole on a slanted soffit while standing on a ladder.

Well, I'm back to tell you that we found an alternative.

My Harbor Freight Multifunction tool came to the rescue, and the fact that
we were able to do most of the work from the bathroom window really helped
a lot.

As can be seen from the following pictures, we first cut the aluminum from
the soffit, secured it to the wood and then cut the wood. After that we fed
the vinyl exhaust hose down through the soffit, with me on the ladder and
my son pushing it down from the attic. Finally, we attached the hose to the
vent with a hose clamp, put a bead of caulk around the flange, and secured
the vent to the soffit.

We cut the hole big enough for me to get my arm into the the soffit to pull
the hose down, but left enough material in corners to secure the vent
flange.

The multifunction tool comes through again!

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...0182735166.jpg

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...0182796083.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 10:25*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...tobucket-39505...

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...tobucket-33739...

Great to hear it turned out well with no trips to the emergency
roomg.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/13/2012 10:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Very cool, glad it worked out for you. Those tools have many uses. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Cool. But you've got the blade on upside down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2012 9:50 AM, HeyBub wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Who took the picture? From the ladder? )

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...0182796083.jpg

Cool. But you've got the blade on upside down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

Did the exact same project during my bathroom reno and added a bath
fan/light combo...Didn't want an ugly vent on that side of the house and
used a soffit vent after seeing done that way it on a drywall job I was
doing..Just remember to bury the exhaust hose UNDER the insulation lest you
get condensation and hose fills with water ...Don't ask how I know
this...LOL..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 9:49*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Cool. But you've got the blade on upside down.- Hide quoted text -

Actually, I've used the blades attached both ways and not noticed any
difference, but I'm always will to learn.

Why do you say it's "upside down"? It's a side-to-side cutting action,
so would it cut differently if it was flipped over?

I can see it mattering if I was undercutting a jamb or something like
that, but when doing plunge cuts, does it really matter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 2:55*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 15, 9:49*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

that, but when doing plunge cuts, does it really matter?- Hide quoted text -

Not that I can figure out, and since it vibrates sideways, except for
door jamb type cuts, it doesn't matter.